Askren Blasts Masvidal

Ben Askren doesnā€™t think Jorge Masvidal should be fighting for UFC gold his next time out.

After Edwards knocked out Kamaru Usman at UFC 278 to become the new welterweight champ, Masvidal was quick to campaign for the fight. Of course, the two have a history with the three-piece and a soda incident in London as well as being booked to face one another at UFC 269.
Itā€™s also a fight Edwards has said he wants and previously offered. However, Askren thinks Masvidal needs to string together a few wins before he gets the shot.
ā€œBeen off the grid campingā€¦ā€¦ why is not getting a title shot off 3 losses in a row a controversial opinion??? Also I would rather be a has been than a never was. Lastly you canā€™t avoid someone for 3 years then try to pick a fight once they get a belt,ā€ Askren wrote on Twitter in response to Masvidal wanting a title shot.

Although Leon Edwards vs. Jorge Masvidal could be a big fight, as Ben Askren says, this was a fight ā€˜Gamebredā€™ turned down for years. After the incident in London, Masvidal went on to fight Askren, Nate Diaz, and then Kamaru Usman for the belt twice, and lastly Colby Covington. If Masvidal truly wanted to face the Brit he wouldā€™ve made it happen before he got the title shot.
However, if Masvidal fights someone like Gilbert Burns and gets his hand raised then perhaps that is enough for him to get a shot at the belt and Edwards. Yet, before any of that can happen, Edwards will need to beat Kamaru Usman in the trilogy sometime next year.

It might be the lighting but dana looks like he rides a rascal at walmart w the way his gut looks there

3 Likes

And Mas Blasts Askren

1 Like

oh snap

I mean he doesnā€™tā€¦0-3 Hasnā€™t had a win since 2019.

2 Likes

Theres maybe two guys Masvidal can beat in the WW rankings. WW division is filled with guys who can wrestle and Mas is an LW/WW tweener who is susceptible to being taken down and held down. And even against standup guys like Luque and Li, is anyone sure Mas would beat them? Heā€™s already been schooled by wonderboy.

1 Like

lol at askren even commenting on mma anymore let alone masvidal

askren was the biggest hype bubble burst in history

2 Likes

There are so many people in the MMA sphere commentating on MMA on huge platforms that dont have the fraction of MMA credentials that Askren does and you are picking out a guy who has fought all over the world in big promotions including the UFC and I am not even an Askren fan.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve seen Mas blast ben

Exactly.

Askren is a 2x NCAA champ, 4x NCAA finalist, 2x Hodge Trophy winner freestyle Olympian and a former Bellator and ONE champion who went 16-0 in those promotions and had 7 title defenses. Beat former UFC champ Lawler in his UFC debut.

So he was the man in NCAA wrestling, Bellator and ONE from 2004 to 2017.

He loses two fights to Masvidal and Maia in 2019 and somehow on the internet in the comment sections he is now some sort of ā€œbustā€. Only on the internet.

7 Likes

well placed knee, and wild shot. If he missed that knee, probably would have been a completely different fight, well which it was not so really no use for revisionist history. In saying that he got a lot of mileage off of that knee that he most likely shouldnā€™t have.

2 Likes

Heā€™s achieved more in the sport than Masvidal ever has or will

5 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m in the minority, but Iā€™d love to see a rematch.

4 Likes

Run it Back then !

2 Likes

I would have been fine with Askren rematches vs Lawler, Masvidal and Maia. Enjoyed all three of those fights, for different reasons but enjoyed them all a lot.

2 Likes

Couple years ago absolutely

Yeah for sure, immediate rematches.

The Maia fight was good but the hilarious part to me was I told CRE the Askren worshiper in a thread about the fight leading up to that fight that Maia would win by RNC and that is exactly how it went down. His Askren worship never recovered after that.

Same

1 Like