Askren: 'I'm going to stick with my guns'

his fights are boring. Hell strikers can have a boring style. I want to watch a FIGHT not a wrestling match. Just another guy taking the fight out this sport and making it a point contest Phone Post

Askren's career will really take off when he starts submitting people. At least he's not like every other wrestler, in that he at least stuck to a grappling heavy approach. Most high level wrestlers wanna be kickboxers, which is dumb.

Askren vs Fitch!

Make it happen Mattress World! Phone Post

unfilter -  actually kinda like his wrestling style...he's got more scrambles than a denny's breakfast menu;

but i'd be lying if i said i was riveted to the screen during an askren fight

crickets

Askren is a stud!! And he is smart. He should do exactly what he is doing while wearing a shirt that says "fuck all y'all" on the back and "Cock Diesel" on the front!!

Askrens the man. Phone Post

I hope he works a ton on chokes. Guillotines, Darce, Anaconda, RNC would all go great with his game

Askren is boring as shit but i agree with him completely and appreciate his straightforwardness. Phone Post

Upperbutt - Ben REALLY needs to pay good money for a crash course with Ronda, learn some killer instinct berserk submissions.

Yes!!!

Cause he has never trained BJJ with anyone elite. He just needs to get w someone like that and he will learn it in a week!!!

(or he has his own style based on what works for him, his unique skill set and his body) Phone Post

.... One of the two Phone Post

FearTheClown - I like the guy but that article was sad to read because it sounds like he has zero confidence in any area in MMA other than wrestling.

This, except I don't like him. Phone Post

Good, I look forward to watching Askren. Phone Post

TeamRenzo - 
BertR - He's right. If people are upset at wrestlers using wrestling in an mma fight, they should focus their ire toward making rule changes or just watch K-1

Negative! There are plenty of wrestlers in MMA that put on great fights, Askren just isnt one of them. Just because I find Askren boring to watch I should watch K1??

Depends on why you watch mma. I watch to see who the best fighter is within the rules which is why Askrin's approach isn't boring.

I hate modern mma rules of 5 minute rounds, but that's a consequence of streamlining it so mma can crossover for the short-attention and non-technically minded fight fans and by associating it within a boxing-like structure.

you dumb fucks that bash Askren and Fitch need to start watching boxing and get the fuck out of MMA.

askren's scrambling is unreal. one of my favorite fighters to watch in the sport.

i hope hes training with the best possible bjj guys

I'm not loved

It's the fans fault

-Ben Askren

His last 6 fights went the distance, sticking to his guns will keep him out of the ufc...cant stand that guy Phone Post

"The great irony in MMA is that wrestling is the best base for the sport, but is the least appreciated aspect of the game."

True, but the thing is, fans do appreciate a dominant wrestler who uses his wrestling to END fights, like Chael or Hughes and Coleman in their primes. It's insane to expect fans of any stripe to appreciate lay n' pray.

ScottCamJJ - you dumb fucks that bash Askren and Fitch need to start watching boxing and get the fuck out of MMA.

So you've never seen a boring MMA match? All sports have boring games/matches/etc it happens. Askren is not an exciting fighter, he may become exciting but for now his fights are usually boring.

I dont expect him to change the way he fights but in the same breath he cant expect people to change their opinion on his fighting style.

Attila - "The great irony in MMA is that wrestling is the best base for the sport, but is the least appreciated aspect of the game."

True, but the thing is, fans do appreciate a dominant wrestler who uses his wrestling to END fights, like Chael or Hughes and Coleman in their primes. It's insane to expect fans of any stripe to appreciate lay n' pray.

THIS.

caposa - I personally don't find Askren boring and like watching him fight. He is really good right now, but I think once he develops a good submission game he is going to be scary.

He has the potential to scare everyone if he develops a submission game. His scrambling skills make him a natural as a dangerous submission wrestler, especially as he adds leg locks. It's much harder to defend those openings in transitions. His wrestling style also can afford him chances either standing or grappling.

Wrestlers, by and large, already come equipped with good physical tools for MMA. The core development they tend to foster translates into power striking. If they will use it. The caveat is that some wrestlers don't break the wrestling habits to unlock that power. Striking creates openings when those hips turn over. I've noticed some wrestlers find it difficult to break old habits.