"At Close Range" (1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmskDtxyMCs

1 Like

Classic. Weird to see how young everyone looks.

Christopher Walken's character is an incredible piece of shit. But the sad thing is you know there are fathers like that out there.

Love that movie. The Madonna song in it is great to. (Beep)

They were in Chester County, PA, real life family. Walken's character escaped prison after over 10 years in, but struggled as he never did pay at the pump gas, couldn't steal cars except 70's models, and eventually got caught in chase when he was on his old back roads and someone put a development up and he got lost.

True story.

1 Like

This has been my favorite movie since it first came out. If you've never seen it, it's definitely worth your time. 

1 Like

I have thought s out starting this thread more than once.

Glad somebody did.

The guys that first told me to watch this movie are both dead. These 2 guys did amazingly crazy things in vehicles including car chases.

A third did 5 years in the federal system and is doing well these days.

Small group liked to drive fast watch movies about stealing cars etc as kids.

Guess I have never thought about the movies we liked as a group of kids until posting to this thread.

The statistics are not encouraging.

clarenceworley - They were in Chester County, PA, real life family. Walken's character escaped prison after over 10 years in, but struggled as he never did pay at the pump gas, couldn't steal cars except 70's models, and eventually got caught in chase when he was on his old back roads and someone put a development up and he got lost.

True story.

I don't get the reference here.

Is this from a folk song?

clarenceworley - They were in Chester County, PA, real life family. Walken's character escaped prison after over 10 years in, but struggled as he never did pay at the pump gas, couldn't steal cars except 70's models, and eventually got caught in chase when he was on his old back roads and someone put a development up and he got lost.

True story.

Supposedly, the real life thieves were much more sophisticated than than they appeared..hey were actually tailing the FBI agents on the case at times..

Sean Penns character is still a real life fuck up having been arrested for another dui last month..I can't say I blame him though as his upbringing was fucked

Great movie though

Powdered Toast Man -
clarenceworley - They were in Chester County, PA, real life family. Walken's character escaped prison after over 10 years in, but struggled as he never did pay at the pump gas, couldn't steal cars except 70's models, and eventually got caught in chase when he was on his old back roads and someone put a development up and he got lost.

True story.

No, I just looked it up. Turns out Brad Senior in the movie is based on a real-life guy, Bruce Johnston, a notorious break-in crook in Pennsylvania history.

Just like Christopher Walken's character and Sean Penn's character, Bruce Johnston Sr. had a son who shared his name, Bruce Johnston Jr.

https://didyouknowfacts.com/kiddie-gang-true-crime-story-behind-film-close-range/

Ah another ending scene that is gut wrenching. Great film. I think it's time for a rewatch. Haven't seen it I believe in over 30 years.

TequilaYuen -
Powdered Toast Man -

True story.

No, I just looked it up. Turns out Brad Senior in the movie is based on a real-life guy, Bruce Johnston, a notorious break-in crook in Pennsylvania history.

Just like Christopher Walken's character and Sean Penn's character, Bruce Johnston Sr. had a son who shared his name, Bruce Johnston Jr.

Bruce Sr. never escaped from prison, I've read up on this story extensively and that has never been stated.

It's on Hulu.

Powdered Toast Man -
TequilaYuen -
Powdered Toast Man -

True story.

Bruce Sr. never escaped from prison, I've read up on this story extensively and that has never been stated.

It was his brother that escaped.

Got it.

This case I'm surprised hasn't been covered more in documentaries..it's impossible to find info or pictures of the "kiddie gang"..there is a book out about it but it details the investigation more than the criminals backgrounds etc

Great movie. Sean & Chris Penn both killed it

My F.I.L says he knew everyone of them pretty well. When ever they had a big "haul" they had a system set up to get rid of everything with the quickness. He was interviewed several times by the FBI as a "person of interest". His words not mine.

When Norman Johnston escaped back in 1999 I was hooking up with this girl who lived in the area. We were home alone one night and just finished up doing the deed when her dogs started to go nuts. Her house was in a secluded area back in the woods along the Pa-Md state line. At the time I was driving a 1974 Pontiac Trans Am. Nothing special and was a POS. We were aware he had escaped and she made me stay with her till her parents came home. Whom I did not share a great relationship with. Hard to explain to her dad why I was there without them being home so we lied. Told them she had freaked out because the dogs wouldnt shut up and asked if I could come over till her parents got home. Her dad didnt say much to me (as he had to know I was laying the pipe to his daughter) but said I must have been in a hurry to "save" her because I left my driver side door wide open to my car! 

At that point I was freaked because I never leave my car unlocked let alone my driver side door open. As far as I could tell nothing was missing. Later that night after I left she called me to tell me the state police had gone door to door interviewing everyone. He had appearently been tracked through the woods that border her backyard. To say we may have flirted with at the least a known killer attempting to steal my car or do worse is a crazy thought. 

2 Likes

It's on Prime btw

1 Like

Amazing cinematography and lighting in all the shots.

Outstanding acting and use of music as well.

Something kinda weird, though is that Chris & Sean's mom plays their characters' grandma in the film.