At the Ali memorial AmA. Might answer

Don't believe the articles that say it was a packed house. I'm confused as to why, but there were several thousand empty seats. Some sections were only half full. And this is after tickets were gone in an hour on Wednesday with thousands of people leaving without getting a ticket. How or why the tickets didn't get through the scalpers market I don't understand.
Met many people outside the arena looking for tickets to no avail. Many had flown into Louisville in large groups from all over. People from Ireland, Canada, new York at the subway sandwich shop before I went in. Thought it would be packed because of all the demand for tickets. I was shocked and disappointed to see so many seats go empty the whole three hours.
It could have and should have been filled. My guess is a total crackdown on scalpers by the cops to the detriment of the situation. Phone Post 3.0

Bc Noone cares beyond posting a motivational quote on instagram Phone Post 3.0

They had free bags of chips and bottles of water inside but all the chips were spicy kind. Fiery cheetos, spicy sticks, and some other kind of hot chip. Baked lays and three different types of spicy chip. Strange choice. Phone Post 3.0

gokudamus - Bc Noone cares beyond posting a motivational quote on instagram Phone Post 3.0
No, all of Louisville cared it seemed. Many had stories of a personal connection with Ali. And all the people outside that couldn't get tickets cared. And also the thousands that showed up at 6 am Wednesday sure cared when they told them the tickets were already all gone.
People cared, they just couldn't get the tickets for some reason. Phone Post 3.0

xDODZILLAx - Have fun saluting a racist coward Phone Post 3.0

Vtfd

Bryant Gumbel looks great for 67 years old.
Bill Clinton's voice sounded strained and weak.
Everyone kept trying to get the Ali chant going but it couldn't get in unison and died out every time.
Not a lot of passion in the crowd as most people left before the end like it's a sports event.
No music in the whole service besides singing of prayers.
No video montages or anything multi media. They could have had the crowd in tears had they showed Ali on the screen with a little funeral music. Phone Post 3.0

pilkie01 - Not to you people, rather someone at the gates. Phone Post 3.0
Dafuq you mean mean "you people"? Phone Post 3.0

VanCity_KO -
Searchinghappy -
I hope you aren't American.
Racist because he wanted to be treated like a man and not property or an animal?
A coward because he refused to fight in an unjust war that killed thousands of Americans for no reason?

You have no idea what your talking about. Phone Post 3.0
You don't actually think anybody other than an American would call him a coward for not fighting in Nam? Do you?

Of course he is American. And it's this mentality that will have Trump as your new Leader on Nov. 4th. Phone Post 3.0
I hear ya but the American Asshole isn't as abundant as the good people are.
We will snuff Trump but the cost could be Clinton and I hope not. I will never vote for her. Phone Post 3.0

Duke Cockhold -
At 63 VUs now. I wager you'll have none by the time im off work. Phone Post 3.0
Ah fuck only 42. The prize for the wager was a VD Phone Post 3.0

I wish Smokin Joe was still alive so he could piss on Ali's grave. Phone Post 3.0

pilkie01 - Bryant Gumbel looks great for 67 years old.
Bill Clinton's voice sounded strained and weak.
Everyone kept trying to get the Ali chant going but it couldn't get in unison and died out every time.
Not a lot of passion in the crowd as most people left before the end like it's a sports event.
No music in the whole service besides singing of prayers.
No video montages or anything multi media. They could have had the crowd in tears had they showed Ali on the screen with a little funeral music. Phone Post 3.0
VU. Thanks for sharing. The world lost a wonderful man. Phone Post 3.0

1800champagne - I wish Smokin Joe was still alive so he could piss on Ali's grave. Phone Post 3.0
Cool wish, bro Phone Post 3.0

Trumpets, fucking Trumpets. I see the flashlights under the blankets of these scared white men losing their country. Trumpets. Love him or hate him, Ali in the least stood up as a man.

The American civil rights era was alive and present in Louisville yesterday. People from that era out numbered those who only learned about it in school. It seemed like the ideal climate fought for by people like Ali. All races and all religions and secularists together with no racial tension or separation.
These are the older people that chose to live out the better way that mlk talked about. No racial solidarity. Just everyone there seeking only to memorialize a great person. No protests.
Police presence was very non intrusive for everyone. even see police interacting with anyone because their presence was totally unnecessary.

Total disclosure, I'm about the whitest looking mf'r, wasn't an issue at all, everyone was very friendly. Reminded me of India in that every person you meet is extremely nice.
Racial tension and the widening cultural gap between black and white America presented by the news, mostly rightwing, is just a bull shit myth propagated by ignorance.
There wasn't but one culture and one society in Louisville yesterday and it felt very progessive and modern. Phone Post 3.0

There was also a general sense of catharsis. It was the end of the story for Ali but it was drawn out for the last thirty years. Memories being shared by the local people were 30 or 40 years old but were fresh like it was yesterday.
The end is as much a part of the story as the beginning or middle and yesterday felt like a good end. Phone Post 3.0