At what age do you give a kid a cell phone?

My daughter asked for one when she was around 10yo. She has always had good grades, she is respectful and responsible so we had no problems giving her one.

At what age do think they are too young?

I didn't get a cell phone until I was 21 (because I'm old like that). So I think anything before high school is too young. Because I'm old like that.

when they can pay for the bill themselves.

Whatever happened to just giving a kid a cardboard box? 

you guys don't have kids do you??

Technical Primates - 

Whatever happened to just giving a kid a cardboard box? 

or 2 tin cans and a string

8 probably Phone Post 3.0

My oldest daughter is 13. She doesn't have a job so she can't pay a cell phone bill. When she gets a job and can pay for a cell phone, we'll talk about getting her one.

She's also never asked for one. Her friends have them, but she's always marched to the beat of a drum only she can hear. Phone Post 3.0

In this day and age, 5-6 seems like a good time

As soon as they are old enough to figure out how to send dick pics

when they need one.

when they are old enough to go places with out adult supervision.

for my kids that wont be until they are 13 or 14

my 12 year old can stay home by herself for a while but we have a land line so she doesn't need a cell phone to be home alone.

but when i feel she's mature enough and responsable enough to be dropped off at like the mall or movies with her friends and no adult supervision then i'll let her have a burner phone that will be only to call us or 911.

when she gets a job and can chip in for her own phone (15 or 16) she can have one for texting and data use etc.

Russfromlowell - 

Sure do.

Ive worked hard for everything Ive gotten. My children will learn the same.

BathSaltFaceFeeder - 
Russfromlowell - 

<br />
<span class="User-327673" id="userPost55064830">Sure do.<br />
<br />
Ive worked hard for everything Ive gotten. My children will learn the same.</span></blockquote>

your kids have never asked?

We thought the same way.

My daughter has been an A - B student her whole life. She helps her mother around the house without asking her to do it

She would do her homework without bitching about it

It was a way to reward her for being responsible.

BathSaltFaceFeeder - when they can pay for the bill themselves.
100% this Phone Post 3.0

For me, probably the second they are born because I am probably going to repeatedly lose my baby.

My 9YO doesn't have one but most of his classmates do, which seems crazy to me.

The "as soon as they pay for it themselves" thing isn't a bad idea.

But if you're kid is involved in a bunch of extra curricular activities, it can be a pain if they don't have one.

My daughter's 5 months. I'm set on middle school as long as it's just a basic flip phone without a camera. Just a way to communicate.
Plus if she were to ever come up missing cops have found many of kids by tracking the phone. If done cautiously it can be more precautionary then recreational. Phone Post 3.0

My 11 year old is asking for one. I think we are going to pull the trigger and do it. We don't have a land line and on occasion he is at home by himself. The closest neighbor is about 500 yards away so it's more of a safety thing but it won't be long before he is texting with it. Phone Post 3.0

PatK - The "as soon as they pay for it themselves" thing isn't a bad idea.

But if you're kid is involved in a bunch of extra curricular activities, it can be a pain if they don't have one.

This
My son got one in 9th grade because of sports and other groups he was in.