At What Age Does One "Lose It"?

So I am getting pretty up there in age now (33 years old, to be exact) and was wondering at what age does one "lose it". Meaning, I know not everyone is a "Randy" at age 47 but is there a way to extend your virility and prolong aging symptoms the natural way (no pun intended)? For you old-timers on here, at what age did you begin to lose speed, agility, etc.? And for you youngsters, are there any older guys (45 and over) in your gym that consistently beat younger guys? Ugh, I'm already dreading it from now!

P.S. Please... do not post 'Epic Beard Man' videos! haha

I lost it at around age 71.I`m not sure about anybody else.

Thanks for that, Jons, but despite retaining flexibility of the spine, other things such as reflexes, speed, etc, may not remain intact. At some point, these things are affected significantly no matter what kind of exercise(s) or lifestyle. No?

haha I beg to differ, Homey. This IS the right forum!

I guess Joe Rogan was right. Randy Couture really IS our "canary in a coal mine". I wonder if we will eventually see other aged fighters/athletes following suit within the next few decades.

A near-starvation diet.

Studies show that as long as you keep training, you don't start losing physical abilities until your mid 40's. Randy is not unusual, except that he NEVER got out of shape. That's why he can compete so well at that age. Just like Lance Armstrong (38) who is still competitive.

Guys who take long layoffs (like Rampage) where they don't even train, tend to drop off much faster. Also when it comes to combat sports, brain trauma can affect your reflexes and cognitive skills

Just don't stop exercising, which of course implies "don't get injured".

http://www.cbass.com/Athletes,age.htm

Athletes Winning Over Age

Not long ago it was “time to hang it up” when an athlete hit 40. You were definitely over the hill at 50. Now it’s 75—and maybe later.

That’s my take on a study published in the March, 2008, issue of the American Journal of Sports Medicine. It’s essentially what Vonda J. Wright, MD, and Brett C. Perricelli, MD, professors of orthopedics at the University of Pittsburgh, found after analyzing performance times at the 2001 National Senior Olympic Games (age 50 to 85), and then comparing the results with the times of American track and field record holders. Importantly, these results are for people who are training, not the average sedentary Joe or Jane on the street. The people in this study were competing and trying to improve; some kept training as they got older and others started competing in middle age.

Let’s look at what the study found, and then talk about how to do as well, or perhaps better.

Wright and Perricelli found that year-to-year performance declined after 50, but at a rate that was barely noticeable until about 75, when the decline became undeniable. These figures are averages, of course; some did better and some worse. Remember, these are elite athletes.

ttt

Jons Forsberg - A healthy spine means optimal nervous transmission, so you should be able to retain your speed and reflexes. But yeah at some point all that will be gone.

Kostakio do you train JJ or MMA? my point is if you don't then you can prolong your youth way beyond the age what people that train are going to tell you... imo.

Up unti recently I was doing just BJJ but now I am beginning to mix it up. I understand what you're getting at as far as preserving youth, but what good is it if you're not trained (skilled) and conditioned? I'd rather look a bit older than the average guy my age, but at least I can rest assured that I am functionally stronger, faster, etc. and can protect myself and my family. Yeah, I suppose it is a narrow-minded and even immature way of thinking but I can't help it. lol I will be a lifelong martial artist/athlete... even if I suck at it! haha

eljamaiquino - Studies show that as long as you keep training, you don't start losing physical abilities until your mid 40's. Randy is not unusual, except that he NEVER got out of shape. That's why he can compete so well at that age. Just like Lance Armstrong (38) who is still competitive.

Guys who take long layoffs (like Rampage) where they don't even train, tend to drop off much faster. Also when it comes to combat sports, brain trauma can affect your reflexes and cognitive skills

Just don't stop exercising, which of course implies "don't get injured".

http://www.cbass.com/Athletes,age.htm

Athletes Winning Over Age

Not long ago it was “time to hang it up” when an athlete hit 40. You were definitely over the hill at 50. Now it’s 75—and maybe later.

That’s my take on a study published in the March, 2008, issue of the American Journal of Sports Medicine. It’s essentially what Vonda J. Wright, MD, and Brett C. Perricelli, MD, professors of orthopedics at the University of Pittsburgh, found after analyzing performance times at the 2001 National Senior Olympic Games (age 50 to 85), and then comparing the results with the times of American track and field record holders. Importantly, these results are for people who are training, not the average sedentary Joe or Jane on the street. The people in this study were competing and trying to improve; some kept training as they got older and others started competing in middle age.

Let’s look at what the study found, and then talk about how to do as well, or perhaps better.

Wright and Perricelli found that year-to-year performance declined after 50, but at a rate that was barely noticeable until about 75, when the decline became undeniable. These figures are averages, of course; some did better and some worse. Remember, these are elite athletes.

Thanks for this great post. I appreciate it. ttt for more good information, stories, etc.!

eljamaiquino - 
That's my take on a study published in the March, 2008, issue of the American Journal of Sports Medicine. It's essentially what Vonda J. Wright, MD, and Brett C. Perricelli, MD, professors of orthopedics at the University of Pittsburgh, found after analyzing performance times at the 2001 National Senior Olympic Games (age 50 to 85), and then comparing the results with the times of American track and field record holders.

Insofar as the articles studies only people that still compete it is seriously skewed, as older athletes with chronic ailments due to aging will tend, precisely, not to compete.

Yeah, but still it's a glimmer of hope! lol

chicks seems to lose it in their early 30 TTTTSSS.....I'm 43 and still quicker/aggressive than most kids in their twenties.

much like fedor you will get fat and lose your aura. lol

not if you have good genetics, son.

I started going down hill at 40. I am 52 now and still in better shape than most 26 year olds who train..

love when the UG starts fuckin up and loading new windows type of shit

Stallone is 60 and looks great thanks to testosterone and GH

Physical appearence is one thing. Functional shape is another. Simple reflexes are even different. Recovery time is likewise independent.

They all deteriorate at different times and different levels for different people. You can compensate to some extent with training and diet, but time gets the best of us.

we got a 60 yr old man who is 2-0 in ammy mma so dont let age fuck with ya

Great responses. ttt