Atheists and Agnostics:

What is it about people that believe in God or a higher power that really bothers you?

I do not believe in God out of a childhood upbringing. I have no fear of death. If I'm right, then I have nothing to worry about. if I'm wrong,I'm dead and won't know it, and again have nothing to worry about. I believe because of what I've personally seen. I try to tell other about my beliefs and share with them the gospel, if they don't want to hear it, I move on.

So what is it really? I've seen people here say it's because they think Christians and others are stupid. Well CS Lewis,JRR Tolkien certainly were morons werent they. And the pope, yeah he only speaks what,17 different languages.Hugh Ross...a Christian and also has a doctrite in astro-physics. I really don't think that's the reason.

I think the reason is that like we believers, you are only human beings, and really deep deep down can't stand the fact that not everybody else shares your own beliefs and ideas...just my two cents any way.

Pleasent dreams everyone

yours in Christ

sherm

Hugh Ross IS an idiot, if he the guy I am thinking of that is the head of Creationist Research Whatever school. You're not supporting your point well there.

I could care less what people want to believe in as long as they respect other people and leave me the fuck alone about it.

I think all religious people are slightly crazy, but, hell, everyone is crazy on some topic, and I'm certifiable anyway, so it's not much of a insult.

"If I'm right, then I have nothing to worry about."

if i really believed i could never say something like this...its just covering your bases and not really expressing your faith...i do not believe that something is true, simply because it is written.

DWT, sure you could, but again you side stepped the issue and refused to answer the question.

Rob you obviously know nothing about Hugh Ross then. Where did I insult you?

thirdleg, I respect your opinion.

But I guess it's like what I said, your problem is because we share a different outlook then yours, and it bothers you. that's understandable. But please from now on admit thats the reason. lets not dance around the subjects anymore.

yours in Christ

sherm

What's this "leave me alone" business? We are part of society and have a right to debate and influence what we would like society to look like. Anyone, religious or not effects the culture and "pushes their beliefs" down everyone's throats. When Brittany Spears kisses Madonna on TV, she is making a statement about her belief system. She has that right but people have the right to incorporate their religious beliefs as much as non religious people.

thirdleg, would you be as equally upset if the government forced it's way into the church or synagog,or mosque,or buddhist temple? See although i may not agree with other religions theology I support their right to worship as they would like. Because if I didnt then what is stopping someone from saying I can't worship as I like. You need to remember something about the first ammendment, it also keeps the governments foot off the neck of the church.

I'm not a big proponent of religion in schools, something where my brothers and sisters here and I probably disagree. See if religion would be taught in schools, who's theology and doctrine's would it be? Catholic,Calvinist, Wesylan,Judasim,Islam?

and DWT, my faith is so strong that I can have moments of doubt.Believers can indeed have doubts about certain things. Doubt leads to questions and questions lead to answers, and for me the answers I find reafirm my position.

yours in Christ

sherm

"DWT, sure you could, but again you side stepped the issue and refused to answer the question. "

i havent refused to answer anything and im not sure what im supposedly sidestepping, i simply responded to something else that i saw...

never on this forum have i stated my beliefs. the idea of a 'god' or the people that believe in the idea, does not bother me at all...i think its important for parts of society, and for some peoples development, etc...

if I'm wrong,I'm dead and won't know it, and again have nothing to worry about. But think of all those Sunday golf games you missed!Seriously though, I've stated before that it's not the people who believe in God that bother me. It's what they do. And that's very specific instances. When they1. Try to promote their religion through legislation (eg school prayer)2. When they use their religion to contradict objective fact (creation/evolution)3. When they try to influence me personally. Beyond that I'm not bothered by you. I have a different way of interpreting reality. I usually make it a policy never to believe anything based on either tradition, authority, or revelation, or any combination. Well, I take that back. It's not so much that you bother me, it's that I don't give special recognition to religion as seperate from other things like mysticism and psychic powers and stuff. Usually anyone can say that things like crystal therapy are bunk. Where's the evidence? But when the conversation turns to religion the subject is automatically handled with kid gloves. I treat religion as any other subject, I guess that can be seen as having a problem with it. Especially when everyone treats it so delicately otherwise. Not here obviously because of anonymity. But let me tell you, I'm an anomoly at work.

"1. Try to promote their religion through legislation (eg school prayer)

2. When they use their religion to contradict objective fact (creation/evolution)

3. When they try to influence me personally.
"

CW is absolutely correct!

Have I ever done any of that?

yours in Christ

sherm

I don´t know? Have you?

1. I stated my view on church in school...no thanks..It's my job and the church to teach my Children about God. Seeing how the education system has messed up every subject, i don't trust them to teach religion. I am all for seperation of church and state, again the first amedment keeps the government off the back of the church also.

2. Not real sure how god created life. Could he of used evolution?..absolutely he could of. Did he? probably, I wasnt there.

3. Influence you? well I hope I influence a lot of people in many different ways.

CW, I play golf on Weds. but how can I miss them if I'm dead? Plus I'm right..so Heaven has an awesome course...makes St. Andrews look like the local put put.

yours in Christ

sherm

Have I ever done any of that? Not that I've seen. Number three usually refers to face to face visits. I don't see a lot of prosthelyt.. prosthetic... attempts at conversion on an internet forum. That is invariably counterproductive. You wouldn't miss them when you're dead, you're missing them now. That's a downside to Pascal's Wager.

"1. I stated my view on church in school...no thanks..It's my job and the church to teach my Children about God. Seeing how the education system has messed up every subject, i don't trust them to teach religion. I am all for seperation of church and state, again the first amedment keeps the government off the back of the church also.

2. Not real sure how god created life. Could he of used evolution?..absolutely he could of. Did he? probably, I wasnt there.

3. Influence you? well I hope I influence a lot of people in many different ways. "

PastorSherm has just discovered the Ark of the Covenant, opened it up, and found the divine and glowing CORRECT inside.

Very nicely done, PS.

-David Jacobs

I have to agree with the People´s knee.

"What's this "leave me alone" business? We are part of society and have a right to debate and influence what we would like society to look like."

you have a right to debate it all you want. I fully agree with that and support your (and my) right to do that.

you also have the right to influence society within acceptable limits. If you wouldn't hire me for a business because I'm an atheist, that's your right.

you DO NOT have a right to use the taxes I pay to promote your religion.

you DO NOT have a right to compel other people by force to believe or act a certain way you agree with, unless they are harming others and your way prevents that. You also don't have a right to euchre the government into doing the job for you.

that's what I mean by being left alone. the libertarian definition.

convincing the Jehovah's Witnesses to stay away from my house would be nice too, but I'm never that lucky.