Atheopia

What if a large contingent of atheists put all their money together and bought up an island or chunk of land and made their own country with the main tenet that religion of any kind is forbidden to its citizens.  Would that country be the most progressive and enlightened in the world?  Granted, this has been tried, but the argument is always that they had the wrong political or economic systems.  What if democracy and a free market was on the table instead? 

it would eventually move towards statism so the "more equal" of the equals could better manage atheopia...

Why couldn't an atheist country be libertarian?  I really don't know how a country like that would fare.  I could argue that they would thrive because they serve the prince of this world or they thrive because they are more Christian in actions than most Christians or they thrive because there is no God.  Then again, there may be aspects to the cohesion of religion that hold a society together which an atheistic society could never achieve without totalitarianism.  It really would be interesting to see.  Richard Dawkins could be their first president and Sam Harris could be the head of the secret police. 

Why would a libertarian atheist want to ban religion? Why would any atheist in fact..I don't see it as something atheists would aspire to.

Seems to happen chance in every country that extols atheism.

Chance,

Actually a good chunk of atheists aspire to that.  A libertarian in a dualistic society would not aspire to having religion banned by government but in Atheopia all citizens have already agreed to not practice or believe in anything religious for citizenship.  The idea being that religion is a delusion of humanity that hinders progress whereas empirical methods should be the basis for knowledge rather than "tradition".  Not that science helps much with a ton of questions.  You can decide that promiscuity can be physically safe with the right protection, but it is nearly impossible to measure the emotional toll. 

that wouldn't work, we have the kill off all the religiony types or they will just reinfect our perfect anti-religious Utopia with door to door bible salesmen.

I recommend special religion work camps where the religion lovers can go and make munitions to support our great Atheistic war against religion. Which of course means we have to declare war on all the religion loving countries and force them to accept freedom.

I will of course be a judge in the coming religion tribunals due to my long history of listening to slayer, which is like being a black belt in EVIL.

Puts Ridgebacks name on the top of the list.

"but in Atheopia all citizens have already agreed to not practice or believe in anything religious for citizenship"

Then I don't see this as a relevant situation to imagine really. There isn't a movement amongst atheists (especially libertarian ones) to set up a country without religion. Most libertarian atheists already live in societies with many options and I can't see the attraction to such people in moving to a society with more restrictions. It seems counter intuitive to me.

I can imagine a group or religion hating loons setting up a country and doling out harsh punishments to anyone religious, or the opposite, but what would that prove really? I guess we could laugh at them.

I think this is more a question of authoritarianism vs libertarianism. I wouldn't fancy living in an atheist or religious totalitarian state. Stalinist Russia and Taliban controlled Afghanistan are equally unappealing. I don't fancy either Nazi Germany or inquisition era Spain. Religion or the lack of it isn't the thing about these places which makes them bad..it is lack of freedom. Both religious and atheist people can abuse power.

ok way to spoil a good ahetist hatin thread chance

puts mountain Dew and popcorn away

there is a place like that...It's called Europe

:)

"Actually a good chunk of atheists aspire to that."

Lol @ paranoia.

jbapk,

More Christians have been killed by atheists than any other group.  I will match my paranoia with your ignorance of history any day.   Give Sam Harris the kind of power Stalin had and watch what happens next.

Chance,

You are missing the point.  My question had nothing to do with libertarians.  My question was whether or not a completely atheistic society would thrive even if they were free to pick any political system or economy.  Many argue that the failures of the Soviet system were tied to the political and economic, rather than the fact that they were atheist.  Rooster said that country would move towards statism so I played the devil's advocate and asked why they couldn't be libertarians (in other words a very small central government).  Many atheist writers claim that the world would be far better off without religion so in theory atheopia would become the most advanced civilization in world history.  And I truly haven't made up my mind as to whether that is true or not.  I don't think it would thrive, but maybe it would.

"My question was whether or not a completely atheistic society would thrive even if they were free to pick any political system or economy."

I don't think they would thrive because to remain completely atheist they would have to enforce atheism, and would therefore be an authoritarian state instead of a free state. I don't believe in that and feel that people should be free to do and believe as they wish. I feel authoritarianism is a failing in any country and so in my eyes they would be failed from the start.

I think Sherm made a good jokey point. Why not just move to the netherlands if you are an atheist so inclined?

see the problem ridge is that they still couldn't have a good government and a great life because those violent religious types would still be out there, with their bombs and terrorism and stuff. The simple fact is, the world will not be a better place until every last theist is gone.

rev

"More Christians have been killed by atheists than any other group. I will match my paranoia with your ignorance of history any day. Give Sam Harris the kind of power Stalin had and watch what happens next."

Ridgeback is right ,Stalin is the Pope of Atheism.

"More Christians have been killed by atheists than any other group. I will match my paranoia with your ignorance of history any day."

Any example of atheists responsible for this that were not communist/totalitarian? Such a statement seems about as fair as Jews blaming the holocaust on Christians rather than Nazis.

Hitler was not a Christian, he was a Aryian pagan

Not sure what Hitler was but the nation was Christian.

but the nazi's the controling government of Germany were seriously influenced by paganism and the occult.

granted...the only nations controled by atheists were communist.

but like Ridgeback said give harris or Dawkins the power Stalin, lennin, Pot Pot, Mao, had and see what they would do.

I believe harris and dawkins and the rational response squad is a hate group and should be treated as such like the Klan or Aryian nation.