ATT: Star Wars fans

Now I love the movies, haven't read any of the books or anything so what i know is from the movies and from what I've read on here.  Is the end of Return of the Jedi weak?  Darth Sidious, who can stop death, created Anikin Skywalker (in theory), Vaders master, etc.  A complete bad ass.  Just get picked up by a guy who just lost a hand and thrown down a shaft with no resistance?  I feel like that was too easy.  Could anyone have done that?  Didn't kill Vader.  Vader could have survived if he kept the mask on?  

The Emperor's midichlorians were low, plus Vader had been blood-doping before battle and that increased the amount of Force in his system.

/used to be good but now it's lame

wouldd you not be shocked and stunned if your prodigy immediately grew a conscience at the last second after decades of hate? to betray you for his family

You've seen all 6 movies, and you're complaining about the end of Return of the Jedi? I think you need to rematch them. Phone Post

nobody messes with vader's shaft......

The_KoJ - 

You've seen all 6 movies, and you're complaining about the end of Return of the Jedi? I think you need to rematch them. Phone Post

No, I didn't explain it right I guess.  Episodes 4,5,6 are much better.  It almost seems like playing Mike Tyson's punch out and KO'ing Tyson with 1 jab.  

BaconRage -
The_KoJ -  You've seen all 6 movies, and you're complaining about the end of Return of the Jedi? I think you need to rematch them. Phone Post

No, I didn't explain it right I guess.  Episodes 4,5,6 are much better.  It almost seems like playing Mike Tyson's punch out and KO'ing Tyson with 1 jab.  

I know you said you haven't read books, but in the extended story with the books the emperor is still alive because he cloned himself and stuff.

Not sure how that helps with the Vader throw, other than maybe the emperor was OK with it because he knew he was coming back? Phone Post

Return of the Jedi was a brilliant threequel.  I know there is ewoks that annoy people, but overall, the film is so well paced and exciting.  The whole Jabba stuff was awesome.  Then you get the speeder bike chase which is iconic.  The lightsaber battle was one of the best because you have Emperor tempting Luke the entire time.  I actually rank ROTJ the second best SW film, of course nothing beats Empire. 

The prequels were visually great, but overall a complete mess.  Red Letter Media summed it up pretty well.  I think the popularity of Star Wars OT really influenced George.  Vader became iconic in the mainstream media, so therefore Lucas believed that Vader was larger than life and incorporated that into the prequels, making him 'the chosen one', which was so stupid.  Darth Vader was NOT space Jesus!   Vader was just a powerful Jedi who was the one that was manipulated to turning to the dark side. 

If you watch both trilogies side by side, they don't even feel like they are in the same universe.  They have a completely different feel to them.  In fact, the prequels seem like they are living in a more futuristic / technology universe than the OT, and its suppose to be BEFORE the OT.  Everything is so CGI clean and perfect and shiny in Prequels.  OT , everything seems real, like this universe really exists.  George Lucas couldn't really see that.  He had his mind on CGI more than anything and his own ILM technology. 

I just watched a film documentary called 'Side by Side' - a documentary about film vs. digital filmmaking.  You should see George speak in that.  He's so passionate about shooting digital.  He's way more into the technical part of film making than telling a compelling story.   He basically wrote three movies just as an excuse to use this technology or use this CGI and market the crap out of it to make video games, toys, merchandise.  Basically, George Lucas didn't sell out or ruined your childhood.  He simply concentrated in areas that he was passionate about and neglected to think of the bigger picture - what the fans would say. 

I believe Lucas underestimated the fans.  He truly believed his own hype.  He believed he could write any movie he wanted and because he wrote it, the fans would love it.   When Lucas said he wrote movies for himself and these are 'his movies', he is full of shit and a liar.  You can go back and hear him say in interviews "I write movies for the younger people" or "I wrote this for kids".   He knew the SW OT characters were so popular and loved , he made an excuse to put them back in the prequels.  3P0, R2, Greedo, Jabba the Hutt, Chewbacca, Boba Fett had ABSOLUTELY no business being in the prequels.  NONE.  When you throw those characters in the prequels, you are making your universe small and too coincidental!   Are you telling me Darth Vader got into a fight with Greedo and then built C3P0 ?  Give me a fucking break.  How many characters are in this universe?  20 ?  He really tried to make a movie people would like and failed to admit he didn't succeed.  Then again, the movies made bank, so you could make an argument that he did succeed, but I think as Lucas continues to go down history as a failure or one hit wonder, his legacy is hurt by the prequels and that is something money can not buy, so therefore you can still argue Lucas failed.

Of all the geeky things I'm into, Marvel characters, DC characters, Predator, Aliens, Terminator, whatever - Star Wars continues and will always be my absolute favorite franchise.  I'm not a guy that dresses up or even reads the Expanded Universe.  I simply have a love for the Original Trilogy and I believe that I can write a better Prequel Trilogy.

And one more thing... Lucas had one page of 'notes' that was his so-called 'backstory' of the OT.  He didn't have any story as he lead the press and media to believe.  He wanted people to believe he had the prequels all written out and ready to be made once technology became available to make.  But he had a few notes and not a fucking story to write.  Lucas is actually somewhat lazy.  He wrote the script at the last second and I don't believe he wrote another draft of each story.  He just made some corrections to some scenes and switched stuff around, but overall, the prequels are the first and only draft.  He just wrote the story right before he started filming.  He had a TON of free time on his hands between 1983-1997 to write three freaking screenplays and he didn't.  You think it'd be kind of important to the SW fans, but his divorce really left him broken and I think burnt out.

"Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.

ferox13 - "Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.
Well played sir Phone Post 3.0

ferox13 - "Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.

Empire had the best ending for its place in the series. Could you imagine if the series stopped after that movie? It would suck if that's how the story ended. Phone Post

MMOZ - There was an alternate ending where Luke put on Vaders mask and that's how the movie ended. Lucas scrapped it because it was too dark for a family movie. Phone Post 3.0

That would have been the stupidest ending I could imagine. Phone Post

JimmyRustlers power bottom - 

wouldd you not be shocked and stunned if your prodigy immediately grew a conscience at the last second after decades of hate? to betray you for his family

Stunned? Yes.  Just hangout while he carries me to throw me down the shaft? No

The experience of seeing Episodes 1-3 for me was like having George Lucas rape my childhood away with a lightsabre.

(kind of)

As the decades passed expectations of what a fantasy sci if movie is supposed to be has evolved.
OT was beyond its time and that is what made it epic. How was the new trilogy supposed to be ahead of its time visually if movies like the matrix were developing.

Kids need stimulation. My son likes the new trilogy because of the over the top cgi. I grew up in the 80s so I am content with the level of effects in the original trilogy.

Movies evolved. OT set to the standard.
The prequels were trying to stay abreast with current cgi trends. Phone Post 3.0

The RedLetterMedia reviews of those god awful prequels are much more entertaining than anything in that cgi mess. Not sure how the deal with Disney works now but, like everyone else, I'm still waiting for that stupid fuck Lucas to put out a blu-ray set of the original trilogy unfucked with.