Attention Fred Ettish...

Mr. Ettish- As a respected traditional martial artist, I would like to know your opinions on Robert Bussey. I trained with him during the time frame of UFC 1-3 and he seemed very ahead of many schools in the way of mixing ground and standup technique. He had a bad rap for ninjutsu but always mixed it with other styles. In your opinion how were his skills and how was hid vision of fighting. I am asking because he was considered controversial and denied by both traditional and mixed styles. Thanks for any comments.

ttt

TTT for Fred!

YamatoDamashi:

I can not give you any real opinions on RBWI. Absolutely all I know is what I saw around UFC 2. I have never trained with them nor do I know anyone who has. I would not form an opinion on what little I have seen and all I do not know ab out it. I would also not judge Scott Morris or RBWI on the one fight with Pat Smith. Morris won his first match handily. Pat Smith just came out like a freight train, caught Scott and finished quickly. We (at least I) never saw Scott again to see more of who he was. Most of us back in those days were much less aware than we are now.

If you trained with him, found it useful in any way, and got anything positive from the training, then it was good. If you didn't, then I suppose for you it was not.

I have found over the decades that I have been training that most often it is the teacher and the practitioner that make something good or not good. I am ashamed to say that even in the style I study, there are quite a few people who I would never recommend som eone to train with, some who hold very high rank. I have seen people of lesser rank in styles I do not necessarily have much of an interest in who do quite well and I respect them highly.

To me the important things are; how hard do people work, can they apply what they learn, are they good and decent people, are they open minded enough to realize that everyone has something to learn and something to teach, and that learning is never ending, no one knows it all.

Long winded answer to your very direct question. Sorry.

Respectfully:

Fred

PS I like your screen name. An Okinawan friend gave me a t - shirt with the kanji for Ryukyu Damashi
¿

"To me the important things are; how hard do people work, can they apply what they learn, are they good and decent people, are they open minded enough to realize that everyone has something to learn and something to teach, and that learning is never ending, no one knows it all."

This is one of the best responses I have read on the underground. Mr. Ettish it is great to have you on the forum.

Great reply Fred.

Fred that was awesome!

TTT

Thanks, guys.

Respectfully:

Fred

What a great guy.

SA

If you trained with him, found it useful in any way, and got anything positive from the training, then it was good. If you didn't, then I suppose for you it was not.

I have found over the decades that I have been training that most often it is the teacher and the practitioner that make something good or not good. I am ashamed to say that even in the style I study, there are quite a few people who I would never recommend som eone to train with, some who hold very high rank. I have seen people of lesser rank in styles I do not necessarily have much of an interest in who do quite well and I respect them highly.

To me the important things are; how hard do people work, can they apply what they learn, are they good and decent people, are they open minded enough to realize that everyone has something to learn and something to teach, and that learning is never ending, no one knows it all.

Long winded answer to your very direct question. Sorry.

Respectfully:

Fred

once again Fred hits the nail right on the head.

Another classy answer by Mr. Ettish.It's funny Fred, how you went from the 'fetus fighter' to the wise old monk in the cave that everyone asks advice from, and who is pretty much free from ragging(a notable feat on this site)! LOL Such fickle fans are we. LOL

I like it better this way. People like Manny Reyes
Jr., NativeAmericanAssassin, etc. give everybody fresh
meat nowadays, so they leave me alone. Hey, it only
took about 9 years for the worm to turn.

Anyway, no harm, no foul and I am glad to be a part of
this and not have a target painted on my mullet.

Respectfully:

Fred

Fred, you have a mullet? ;) Great insight. You are very well respected amongst the MMA community.

classy as always.

No, no mullet. It was just one of many things I got grief over. Actually, it wasn't even a true mullet, just kind of medium length hair. Anyway, it is long gone along with many things from the past.

Respectfully:

Fred--

Fred- Thank you for the response. Good post. I did take a lot of away from it. I learned a lot of values on top of just fighting.