Attitude Adjustment: TMA style

mhorad - I can't remember, my uncle told me this over 10 years ago. My uncle was a university student in Perth, Western Australia during the 80s. Why, do you know the guy?

My instructor was a friend of his. I'm guessing that it was the same guy, as my instructor (also Kim) and WA Kim were both brought over from Korea at similar times. They were a couple of the original guys to come over in the mid 70's, and were definately hard core. Ex Military Instructors. Those guys trained pre TKD, so were not TKD guys as such, although they would have been associated with it as all instructors from Korea were.

I heard good things about the guy in Western Australia, but never met him. He died a few years ago I heard.

The tournaments these guys went in pre tkd was pretty cool.

That sounds familiar, back in 1988 I was 13 years old, the thing
that I remember most was that my uncle said his instructor was a
hardcore guy, definitely not one of those mcdojo TKD instructors.

Where are you located? Is the WA CKD instructor still teaching?
The last thing I remember my uncle telling me was that he wasn't
teaching anymore..

I'm located in Brisbane, Qld..... maaaate.

The Mr Kim from WA died about 3 years ago I think (cancer?). I know my instructor, Mr Kim, went to visit him out of respect when he was very ill in about 2000.

CKD is one of the original Korean styles. As is our parent style Chang Moo Kwan. Our style is actually called Hwa Rang Do in Australia though (not to be confused with American HRD).

My instructor said Mr Kim from WA was a 'proper' instructor, which is not something he says often. His opinion of most TKD's is very poor...so in my opinion, that says a lot. But personally, I havn't seen any CKD stuff.

I don't think there were many, or any, CKD in Perth during the
80s, except for the CKD classes that my uncle went to. So chances
are you and I are talking about the same person here.

It's a pity he passed away. My uncle talked very highly of him.

I studied Tang Soo Do when I was a kid, we had one of those
hardcore Korean instructors too. It's because of my early no-
bullshit training with him that's given me a very good eye for
McDojos in Australia today. Do you know much about TSD?

Anyway there was a divorce in my family recently so I don't see
that uncle of mine anymore these days. If I do bump into him
again in the future I'll let him know about his CKD instructor. My
uncle was out of the country for a number of years though, so I
don't know if he knows.

What's the difference between Australian HWD and American
HWD?

Sorry I missed your post. Been a bit busy with work.

With regard to TSD, I have seen good and bad. I really think it boils down to the fact that the Korean Styles were on top at one stage, and the typical wankers got hold of a few fancy techniques, started their own styles, and ruined the reputation of many Korean Arts by teaching bullshit. I know exactly what you mean about the McDojo's. Makes me feel sick in the gut when I see some of the shit thats taught.

I'm sure your uncle would agree that the decent Korean Stylists are awesome to behold.

I'll be disapointed when my instructor stops teaching. He's still going hard at 53, teaching fulltime, 7 days per week and out-training us all, but he admits he's only got another 10 or so years left in him.

Our style is based on Chang Moo Kwan with the additional Miltary Training that Mr Kim did plus his further development of the style over the last 25 years. We have nothing to do with the WHRDA, and I really wouldn't know what they teach.

Send me a line if you want to chat further.

mhorad@hotmail.com

Lionel

wtf i totally forgot about this thread

Hey mate. I spoke with my instructor a couple days ago (went to the Gold Coast with him and hung for the day training etc) and he said that he came over to Australia just after the Mr Kim your Uncle would have trained under. My instructor was about 10 years younger. He said they trained together in Sydney for about a year and became good friends before the other Mr Kim went to Western Australia and started teaching. He definately passed away from cancer in 2000 or 2001. My instructor went over to see him just before he died.

I notice you about to start teaching. Good luck with that mate.