Attn: Analyst Programmers

If anyone remembers my previous thread (in December). I mentioned that I was applying for a Cobol Mainframe Programmer job. My application & Resume got accepted and I have made it to the next round in the recruitment process! Before I can make it to the interview stage, I will be doing an I.T aptitude test to determine whether or not I have what it takes to do the job. I need help in finding the best resources to practice for this test, and time is short. They told me today, that I will be doing the test on thursday! If anyone knows of any websites that have practice tests, I would be grateful. All I know is that this test will involve sequences, rotation and other logic related stuff. You guys can make a difference; help me get a better job!

Your applying for a Cobol Mainframe job and you don't know how to program in Cobol?

That's a little dishonest, isn't it?

Don't you think you'll be exposed when you actually have to do Cobol programming there?

Mate I have programmed in Cobol. That is not the problem here. The problem is aptitude tests - I found out that it is psychometric testing which they will be using to determine whether or not you can do the job or not. I have only just found out today after taking the test what type of things they will test you on. Now that I know what to expect, I will be able to revise specific areas so that I have a better chance next time. I needed to pass to be given an opportunity of an interview. I find out tomorrow.

Cobol *shudder*

What is psychometric testing and how do you study for it?

psychometric testing consists of Verbal Reasoning, Number Series, Computer Checking, Syntax Checking, Diagramming, Diagrammatic Reasoning, Spatial Reasoning. Multiple Choice.

I had the unfortunate task of doing...

Test 1 - Number Series (Numerical Reasoning) - 30 Questions to answer in 15 mins. Giving you 30 seconds per question.

I only managed to answer 10 questions before the time ran out! I choked bigtime under the pressure. You have to find out the missing number in a sequence! i.e 2, 4, 6, ?, 10 - ? = 8 because it goes up 2 each time. That was the easiest question, some patterns go in different sequences like -2, x2, -2, x2 or +1, +6+, +11 etc. It gets increasingly difficult as you work through the questions. Sometimes you can't visualise the pattern in your mind logically because you are against the clock. This was the first exam

Test 2 - Diagraming - Answer 48 questions in 20 minutes.

I did better in this test. I managed to do around 42 questions. In this test, figures (shapes) in BOXES are represented in columns. They are changed in various ways by commands represented as symbols in Circles. You work using a key showing what each "change" symbol indicates i.e - invert figure, reverse shade figure, swap figure, reverse order the whole column etc. You work down the column from top to bottom dealing with each command at a time.

Test 3 - Verbal Reasoning - Answer 50 questions in 25 minutes.

You are analysing text and answering questions which could be TRUE, FALSE or CANNOT TELL from the passage that you read. It is real hit and miss at times. I managed to answer all 50 but I am not that confident.

BOTTOM LINE: I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT TIME. I will be more prepared because I will know what to revise and have longer to revise it. 2 days is all I was given.

Atleast I made it to the final 8 in the selction process. Tomorrow I will find out if I got an interview. 4 People will be chosen for the interview but I highly doubt I made it. I don't think I met the benchmark pass rate. Better luck to myself next time

all testing IS psychometrics of a sort.

psychometrics is the branch of psychology concerned with coming up with valid scientific tests for aspects of the human brain.

IQ tests are probably the best known of these, though many other tests like the SAT use psychometric techniques in the creation of their tests.

Rob, your friendly neighborhood psychology geek

cobol sucks

its still used, holy fuck

LOL

"cobol sucks,its still used, holy fuck LOL"

Thats what I thought! I studied it in college and thought that it was a crappy obsolete language from the 1950's. Despite this, Companies still use it, so it still must be reliable. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yup - I also had my doses of greenbar in college: several COBOL classes, JCL, IMS, DB2, CICS...it's used, but I wouldn't touch it unless the money was insanely high.