Attn: Bartos

I'd like your opinion on this, if you have a second:

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=947337&FID=48

ttt, dammit! :)

Sorry. I don't get to the IT forum much.

This definately looks to be one of the best open source software packages for monitoring i've seen. There are two distinct reasons I say that. I mean, it does all the cookie-cutter stuff. Monitors SNMP variables, can poll WMI stats (only if running on windows, mind you), sends alerts, graphs, etc. Nothing special.

But theer are two features in particular that I think set it apart from nagios and the like.

1 - It's scalable. i.e. you can set up multiple collection stations. One machine is incapable of adequately monitoring every network device and every application and every server's hardware and OS. And by "adequately monitoring" I mean not just pinging your routers to ensure they respond, but also monitoring things like packet errors, packet discards, percent utilization, ping latency, and interface status for each interface ... and temperature, uptime, sysDescr, and the ip addresses for every router and switch in general. sysDescr because it will change if someone applies new firmware and ip addresses to check for duplicates.

It says it allows for distributed collection services. That's huge in my mind.

2 - Support for agents. It allows for distributed agent-based monitoring. Of course, by agents I mean each server runs software in the background designed to monitor just that server and report alarms back to a central management station. Agents are crucial, not just for distributing the load, but it's also far more effective to have software running on the same server it is monitoring. This grants you access to the entire OS, log files, commands, in some cases the server hardware, and just as important, it gives you the ability to configure corrective actions to run on the server automatically in response to alarms.

Aside form those two things, network discovery is a plus, but it could be a nightmare if it doesn't give you powerful filtering options for the discovery process.

Also, it receives traps which is good too.

Everything else is pretty standard.

The ability to administer the software and manage your devices and alarm configurations easily is huge but I can't get a sense of that without taking it for a test run.

It's stability and maturity are also in question without testing it.

Looks damn good to me. I might have to write an agent for freebsd if no one has yet :)