attn: Ben Reinhardt

Ben,

Can you see if a kid named Johnny Lambert is going to be attending ISU? I just talked to his dad at the Waka Mu Sha tourney and he said that Johnny was going to "Idaho College" and will do judo there, but I think he meant ISU. Big kid, he was the World Jr rep at 100k. He is apparently down to about 90k now. I fought him a few times and would always talk to him at tourneys when I saw him, but he won't remember my name.

Thanks, Pete Pelter

"Ben,
Can you see if a kid named Johnny Lambert is going to be attending ISU? I just talked to his dad at the Waka Mu Sha tourney and he said that Johnny was going to "Idaho College" and will do judo there, but I think he meant ISU. Big kid, he was the World Jr rep at 100k. He is apparently down to about 90k now. I fought him a few times and would always talk to him at tourneys when I saw him, but he won't remember my name.

Thanks, Pete Pelter"

I'm not at ISU anymore, but I can write to Sami or Bob and ask.

He could be going to Boise State, there are two separate clubs there. Not a big competition thing going on there, though.

University Idaho is in Lewiston. No Judo there that I now of.

I know that Martin Bregman's daughter, Merideth, is now in Moscow, ID at the uni there teaching Judo.

I think I know the kid you are talking about. Didn't he win HS nationals at -100 a couple of years ago when it was in Spokane? He beat one of the HS kids from ISU in the finals.

Ben Reinhardt

Both Johnny and Willie (older) were pretty active in judo while I was living a college student in North Carolina. Johnny is a lot younger than me but was huge. He and his brother Willie won the JA nationals a lot. I think Johnny had much more success at the other big tournies and he has been on the junior elite rosters for a while (or was back when I used to check those things).

Johnny used to beat plenty adults when he was 14 or so. Ironically I once saw him get disqualified because of a "sweep the leg" kind of deal (was much more a kick than a sweep... and many times in one match).

Ben,

I think you are right about him winning -100. He has been pretty successful, even on the international HS scene. Although he did get beat pretty quickly at worlds by some kid from some east asian country I think.

I am pretty sure he would be going to ISU. It sounded like the point of him going was to do Judo. He is also in the military, maybe ROTC, possibly reserves though.

Pete Pelter

arb10,

Where are you at now? Who did you train with them or Riggs and Snow? From what I was told from people from our club that are pretty close to the Lambert's was that Willie got his gf pregnant and basically quit judo to work and raise the family.

"Ironically I once saw him get disqualified because of a "sweep the leg" kind of deal (was much more a kick than a sweep... and many times in one match). "
lol, I can see that happening.

Pete Pelter

"Oh sure. Talk about Judo on the Judo forum and completely ignore the wisecrack made by your grappling dummy. "

Wasn't funny enought to comment on. I was trying not to draw attention to you, you know, as a favor.

"I'm taking out the other ankle. "

You already did. Look for another body part.

OK, Chalupa, you old attention whore, HA HA HA.

Got your fix now?

Ben Reinhardt

I remember Sami (the head coach at ISU) and I talking for quite a bit to the -100 kg winner's Dad. We were staying at the same cheap motel. He was pretty interested in the program at ISU.

Keith, the young man who he beat that time, went on to win HS Nationals at -100kg last year, I think. He may have beaten the guy that time, but I'm not sure.

With the influx of coaches and players from Tokai at ISU, it is a good place to go and get better at Judo. Sami has got that relationship cemented from the very top at Tokai. If ISU can attract more HS players with experience, it should be able to start producing many more winners/placers at national level.

Ben Reinhardt

Chalupa,

I will show you what "sweep the leg" mean when my ankle heals...

Pete

Ben,

Cool. I figured it was ISU. Hopefully he will continue to compete and go onto international senior level events (and win). Of course, as he progresses, so will my w-l record against him. "john lambert, yeah, I owned him when he was younger." :)

Pete

LOL@Mutually benefit to me and all.

Pete,

I was a student at Duke, which is very far from where the Lamberts trained (Cherokee, NC maybe?). I ran a small club at the school and practiced at a lopt of local dojos: Cahill's, NC State, Bushido Judo in Durham, etc. Judo in NC is pretty scattered.

I just saw the brothers at tournaments. I didn't know what happened to Willy. He was really good at one point.

-Adam

"From: Chalupa

Date: 02/15/05 01:29 PM
16680 Total Posts Ignore User

"OK, Chalupa, you old attention whore, HA HA HA.
Got your fix now?

Ben Reinhardt "

Forget your meds Mr. Seriouspants?"

LOL! I love it when the joker doesn't get the joke!

Ben Reinhardt

arb10 -

"I was a student at Duke" - I won't hold it against you.

"Judo in NC is pretty scattered. " - Yeah, it is. Are you still in the state? We keep trying to get some guys to come down and train on a Sat, but it hasn't worked out yet.

Pete

Pete, I have been living in Japan for the past three years. I will most likely be headed back to the U.S. in the Fall, possibly to the Raleigh-Durham area.

Where is your dojo?

Ha. I love the crack about Duke. It sure is the team that everyone loves to hate.

Go Devils,
Adam

arb10,

Our club is in Matthews, NC, just outside of Charlotte. Carolina American Judo Assocation (CAJA). Pat Szreijter runs it. Keep me posted on when you get back.

"Ha. I love the crack about Duke. It sure is the team that everyone loves to hate."
Yeah, it is, but I am not from the area, so I also hate UNC and most things ACC.

Pete

"Pete have you talked to Doug this week by any chance? "

No, but I think he will be there tonight, why?

"Our club is in Matthews, NC, just outside of Charlotte. Carolina American Judo Assocation (CAJA)"

Pete.....I practiced there one Saturday....Matt was running the class. Were you there? I'm from Atl, Ga.

FAMLIMAN,

I think I was out of town that weekend. How long ago was it? I was there when Adam (judok@) was in town though. Did you go to the waka mu sha tournament last weekend? My son competed. Went 5-1, took second in the 7-8 year old light weights. Hit a bad ass standing left handed seio! Ok, enough bragging. I was hurt so I did not compete. Let me know when you come back up so you can train with us again.

Pete

Pete, ok I know your club. I once went there for a clinic by Ed Szreijter about 7 years ago. I was an 18 year old sankyu or nikkyu I think. Anyway, it was a good time. Nice club.