Attn Fake Pie and other og lawyers....

serious question about the recent trend of companies changing their store policies to 21 for gun purchase

isn't AGE a protected class?

if i'm not mistaken Race, Gender, Age, Religion, Sexual Orientation are all protected classes.

where do you think courts (of course ultimately SCOTUS if it gets that far) will fall on this matter?

In

i dont know what case allows them to limit alcohol to 21 so i'd assume whatever case allowed that is the case that carries precedent on this ruling as well but i dont know case law and i know you guys know it way better than i do so thanks

Under federal law age discrimination applies to employment and even then only those over 40. That wouldn't apply to refusing to sell guns to 18 year olds.

Some states and localities do have laws and ordinances banning age discrimination in places of public accommodation. It is possible the policy could violate in those areas.

Darup - 

Under federal law age discrimination applies to employment and even then only those over 40. That wouldn't apply to refusing to sell guns to 18 year olds.

Some states and localities do have laws and ordinances banning age discrimination in places of public accommodation. It is possible the policy could violate in those areas.

I think it would be difficult to say this action is somehow illegal with federal/state regulations/laws on so many things based on age.

Sex/minor relationships/voting/alcohol/tobacco/driving/entrance to establishments/etc.

Clearly there is already a process that you have to be 21 to buy handguns, this just makes it equal across the board for all guns.

It's logically consistant IMHO.

i think alcohol and tobacco are the ones that apply  "sex with aminor, voting, etc" all deal with a minor and not a legal adult

still interested in seeing if the alcohol age limit was ever challenged

Yea, Trust and Fake Pie... what’s your response to these questions!

LOL, no, just no.  They are private business and they don't have to sell anyone guns if they don't want to.  Sorry Pretjah, but you are best off just giving up on this one.  Just go to the stores that will sell you guns.  I assure you, the business is going somewhere.  More mom and pop stores opening hopefully.  

Pretjah -

serious question about the recent trend of companies changing their store policies to 21 for gun purchase

if i'm not mistaken Race, Gender, Age, Religion, Sexual Orientation are all protected classes.

where do you think courts (of course ultimately SCOTUS if it gets that far) will fall on this matter?

No. There's a federal anti the discrimination law suit but the Supreme Court already ruled it only applies to people being discriminated against for being too old not too young. Also it really.only applied to employment situations anyhow. 

There's no legal reason companies can't do this. 

Pretjah -

i dont know what case allows them to limit alcohol to 21 so i'd assume whatever case allowed that is the case that carries precedent on this ruling as well but i dont know case law and i know you guys know it way better than i do so thanks

Theres no case. Every state has a drinking age. The federal bribed them all into making it 21 with highway money. 

Fake Pie - 
Pretjah -

Theres no case. Every state has a drinking age. The federal bribed them all into making it 21 with highway money. 

Bribe?  I'll go with coerced.  "You want the money we gave to the other states?  Only if you go up to 21!"  :)

Fake Pie -
Pretjah -

No. There's a federal anti the discrimination law suit but the Supreme Court already ruled it only applies to people being discriminated against for being too old not too young. Also it really.only applied to employment situations anyhow. 

What if a specific state law relating to publicly accessible retail establishments conflict with the store policy? Like this one...

“It It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice for any person, being the owner, lessee, proprietor, manager, superintendent, agent or employee of any place of public accommodation, because of the age, sex, race, creed, color, marital status, physical or mental disability or national origin of any person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from or deny to such person any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges thereof…“

Homeslice - 

LOL, no, just no.  They are private business and they don't have to sell anyone guns if they don't want to.  Sorry Pretjah, but you are best off just giving up on this one.  Just go to the stores that will sell you guns.  I assure you, the business is going somewhere.  More mom and pop stores opening hopefully.  

thanks for showing you're a political hack

i'm seriously looking for the legal answers  which is why i asked a specific group of people i know hold a lot more knowledge on the subject than i do.

Pretjah - 
Homeslice - 

i'm seriously looking for the legal answers  which is why i asked a specific group of people i know hold a lot more knowledge on the subject than i do.

You are truly a fucking moron.  Good luck, although I already told you the answer you fuk.  Let me know when you achieve this quest of yours!

you can discriminate agianst young ppl but not old ppl

this is what our ridiculous courts have decided

gregbrady - you can discriminate agianst young ppl but not old ppl

this is what our ridiculous courts have decided

Basically. 

itskrisdude -
Fake Pie -
Pretjah -

What if a specific state law relating to publicly accessible retail establishments conflict with the store policy? Like this one...

“It It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice for any person, being the owner, lessee, proprietor, manager, superintendent, agent or employee of any place of public accommodation, because of the age, sex, race, creed, color, marital status, physical or mental disability or national origin of any person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from or deny to such person any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges thereof…“

I don't know of any ruling on guns being a public accomodation. 

Fake Pie -
itskrisdude -
Fake Pie -
Pretjah -

I thought this meant the store itself is the public accommodation, and the purchasing of product is the privilege of that accomodation.

Unless guns are specified as an exception, how are they seen as different from any other product?

If the law says I can buy a gun at 18, and further says the store can’t deny me the act purchasing one based on my age, is there not an argument to be made?

Legit curious.

itskrisdude -
Fake Pie -
itskrisdude -
Fake Pie -
Pretjah -

I thought this meant the store itself is the public accommodation, and the purchasing of product is the privilege of that accomodation.

Unless guns are specified as an exception, how are they seen as different from any other product?

If the law says I can buy a gun at 18, and further says the store can’t deny me the act purchasing one based on my age, is there not an argument to be made?

Legit curious.

Yeah you may be onto something in some jursidictions: 

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/02/28/can-gun-stores-refuse-to-sell-rifles-and

Pretjah - 
Homeslice - 

Well now I feel like you're irritated I chimed in.

I won't stand for this aggression.