ATTN: HEANGKOING

What is you opinion on the Split Snatch versus the full squat snatch?

I'm asking because I'm still having alot of trouble with ankle flexibility and so I tried some Split Snatch Balances today and loved them.

I have pretty much no experience split Snatch technique wise.  I never learnt it and it is a rather out dated thing.  But you still see the odd old school lifter do it.  Harder to Snatch more as the lift requires you to get the bar higher = not good for OL comps!

How did you do the Split Snatch Balances?

I think key to ankle flexibility is being able to sit and stay in a deep squat.

Do Snatch balances for a while.  Drop under and STAY UNDER TO COUNT FOR 3 SECONDS THEN COME BACK UP.  My coach gets new guys to do this.

Also just stretch it out.  Straighten your toe and then pull it towards you.

Should start to loosen up after a while but that depends on your age and level of flexibility right now.

I've seen some guys take MONTHS to get it right.  Some guys get it right straight away with no work and some guys take 3 or 5 sessions to do it.  They were the lucky ones!  BUT they ALL manage to OL properly though so there is hope :D

Koing

A'ight I'll try to work up to the full squat snatch.

I put the bar on my back like I was going to do a back squat then give it a light push and drop into the deep split snatch.

I'm leaning too far forwards when I squat down.

Too much of a powerlifter squat form I guess.

Plus I've got a bit of a nagging shoulder injury that makes is some what uncomfortable to do the overhead squat to work on my flexibility.

I'm almost 29 years old and I've no intention of competing in an Oly meet but I've defineately learned why people love these lifts so much.

When I did my first full clean with 215 lbs last week I was like a kid at Christmas and I handled 155 lbs fairly well using the split snatch balances.

I've got a sickness.

I can't wait to do my clean work out tomorrow.

You've ruined me man.

I'm only doing oly workouts a week right now but I'm thinking about kicking in a third oly workout versus the standard routine I use on my third day.

Hey sorry about the late reply I was really busy last week with studies.  Didn't even train and I have a comp this Sunday :(.  See how I'll do with no prep for the past 10 days...

I put the bar on my back like I was going to do a back squat then give it a light push and drop into the deep split snatch.

So your splitting like you would in a Jerk and not a squat Snatch?  Well work at it and you can eventually get yourself down to a nice squat Snatch with speed.

Leaning forwards too much isn't such a 'bad' problem just that the further you lean forwards you have to have the bar further back so you need more shoulder flexibility.  If you work at it, it will help your shoulder problem.  Eventually it will make your shoulder range better and stronger then before :D.

Don't have to compete.  It is great fun to do and something different.

Nice man.  Full clean at 215lbs is no mean feat for anyone.  Congratulations.

lol @ ruin me man.  Keep the good work up.

Yeah 3 sessions a week is killer.  You get results that much faster.  I OL 3x a week and do a session of Gymnastics.  Sometimes if I am more free I go and do some conditioning.  But you can mix and match in your OL sessions.  As long as you do the OL, squats (front and back alternating on sessions), a few pulls, you can add in bench press, dips, pull ups, bent forward rows, romanian deadlifts etc in.  Just make sure you don't do too many exercises.  Keep in teh 5-7 range per training session.  8 maybe doable also.

Koing

Thanks for all the help HK.

I'll let this thread die for now.

If I run into a wall or have any serious questions on down the road I'll be in touch.

But with all the other threads on Olympic lifting here and JV Askem's site I've got alot of reading to do before I ask anymore questions.

Thanks again man.

And I cleaned and push pressed 225 this week.

Woo Hoo

I'm going to work on my jerk, split snatch, and clean up my squatting technique.

I've also got a bit of flexibility problem so I've got to work on that as well.

My goal for snatch is to simply be able to do a full squat snatch in a month or two and I want to improve my form on my clean so I'm not looking at progressing my weight too much for a few work outs at least.

225lbs is pretty good.  But you got to be strict and know when it is a press and a Jerk.  But when it gets heavier you know when you didn't get it as it comes down! 

Yeah just work on it and you can get it.

Yup the only way you can work on technique is about 70% if your technique isn't really bad.  But 60% would be better for most.

Just have to be focused and strict and work on the technique with the bar or only 50lbs or a bit more.  The Snatch balances will really help you.  Or just going over the movements with the bar is more then en ough to get it down.

Koing