Attn: Higher belts

My Bjj coach told me this scenario (higher belt being dominated by lower belts) was a common sight when he was in Brazil. This was confirmed by one of my classmates who has been to Brazil to train many times.

Both made the point that in Brazil, among the higher belts (some blue, but most purple and above), the difference between them was very very small. My coach said in many cases there really wasn't a big difference at all. He attributes this to the sheer amount of time serious Brazilian Bjjers spend on the mat. He also said all belts train together so it is pretty easy to pickup on each others game.

Carlson Gracie Sr, in a magazine interview, said he feels purple and above were the same.

From a personally stand point I've never been dominated by a white belt. I have dominated higher belts when I was a white belt. I have been dominated by a higher belt. In fact I was pretty much owned by this one higher belt until recently when I dominated him.

But I attribute this to the fact I practice all the time. And what I mean by practice is I do alot of solo drills and partner drills on my own apart from class. These solo and partner drills make a huge difference in both my physical game and mental confidence.

AND confidence is key. Once you actually believe in yourself and your abilities it becomes easier to face whom ever you face regardless of belt level or rank.

andre,

Wow, are you and I twins, lost at birth?

I had the same thing happen to me last night. An old friend & training partner, super athlete, shows up in time to roll. I start playing my strong game, almost catch a sub, and then I'm on bottom. He takes my back, I'm most of the way out, and I get caught. Ugh. I've been so good about defending the RNC I almost forgot how much I hate being caught in one.

No problem, I think. I'll hit him with my new A-game. There is a problem, though--he's a cardio machine, and the more I crush him, the stronger he feels. Fewer and fewer of my sweeps are keeping him on his back afterwards. I offer him my arm to escape from underneath, and it works. However, I'm not so lucky later, and after a couple of good defenses he takes a bent armlock. Oooooh.

The worst part: I'm tired. Ugh.

Pro: I controlled some parts of the game much better than I used to. Also, I hit some sweet passes that I wouldn't have hit on him before.

Cons: I'm tired, and that was not fun. :)

guys, its just training! keep up the good work. different things happen everyday do not beat yourselves up about it.

M.G,

What kind of solo drills do you do and how much of impact do you think they have on your skills?

daily. ain't no thang.

Watch out, if Eddie Bravo sees this thread, he is likely to emerge from the
deep depression he is no doubt in after (allegedly) been given a hard time
by the now notorious, suspiciously anonymous...BLUEY! :)

Andre, I will be at the open mat at Rey's on the 22nd to show you what truly being dominated is all about! LOL

Note that I didn't say I would be doing the dominating! LOL

Gee Adam I quoted you from your post ^^

LMAO at the obvious TROLL attempt by mad tiger.  Nice try, bud.  But honestly, how do you get off trying to pass that off as one of MY posts?  Nothing I ever wrote, and you know it.  GET A LIFE!!

JasonGV,

You asked: "What kind of solo drills do you do and how much of impact do you think they have on your skills?"

Dude, I do tons of solo drills. I generally divide my solo drills into three categories: technique drills, movement drills, conditioning drills. Sometimes a drill I do may serve all three functions. Also my drills range from very simple to complex.

Most of the drills I do most Bjjers have seen or done. I like to combine different drills just to add some flavor and work on transition (the ability to instantly switch from one position to another or one submission to another etc).

I learn some new drills (new to me) from my Bjj coach.

But like I said I generally like to combine drills. What I do is first come up with a theme, that is, I think of exactly what I want to work on. I then pick drills that work, develop, or achieve that theme. Often I'll adjust or adapt the drill to fit exactly my theme. This is important for focus because it is my focus that really makes the drill work and not necessarily the drill itself. For example if you're doing drills that are designed to work hip movement and you're not really focusing on moving your hips when doing the drills then they really won't work for you.

I see immediately success from my drills. When I spar I don't practice technique or even test them out like some people do. Sparring for me is how I gage whether my drilling is on point or not. In other words I always drill my skills and techniques before I use them in sparring. More often than not, I do, in sparring, the very movements and techniques I solo drill or partner drill. Sometimes things don't go well...if I, for example, pull off a technique that I drill in sparring but it I didn't finish it quite right or my timing was off then I'll adjust my drilling and use my experience from sparring as a means of correction. Contrary to common belief your body (nervous system) actually remembers how the technique should feel and naturally knows what to do to make the technique work better the next time. The body is amazing in that regard. So although the effectiveness of my drills is determine by sparring, sparring also shapes my drills.

Anyway here's what I've been doing recently. I determine I need muscle endurance in regards to doing specific techniques and movements. That is I want to be able to constantly attack or do a technique without experience localize muscle fatigue. So I picked two techniques from the guard I do alot and I switch between the two every 10 reps. In other words I'll do 10 reps of one technique (alternating sides) then 10 reps of the other technique. I'll continue this cycle for 2 minutes. Sometimes I'll go as long as 5 minutes. This is a great drill.

Andre,

Great post, as usual.

This happens daily in Brazil and very few people bat an eye. A purple belt who has been training for several years and is gearing up for a major tournament will from time to time hand a black belt who has been training casually and not for a competition his a#$. Pretty normal, actually.

John

Andreh, if it makes you feel better, I long for the day that I'd feel bad about losing to a purple belt (being a blue belt myself).

:)

Guys, next time you are thinking about rolling or not rolling with a guy that's below your rank and you think you might lose to, ask yourself this:

DO I WANT TO BE UNDEFEATED OR DO I WANT TO GET BETTER?

The guys who are about your level in sparring, regardless of rank, are very important to roll with regularly, if you want to improve in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I've been manhandled by a lower belt, and hung with and or beat higher belts .. in the same class that very same day. Go figure.

It can be really depressing sometimes.

"Gee Adam I quoted you from your post ^^"

Thanks mad tiger for pointing that out.  Now I know you are not a troll, you are a FREAKIN' MORON.  Look at the names bonehead.  Does "Adam LaClair, Impose Your Will Productions" look anything like "TwinkletoesCT, Modern Self Defense Center, Head Instructor" ????

Umm, NO!  Jackass.

What happend dre? Crazy ass half guard sweeps werent rocking for ya?
You must have just had an off day, cause i cant see too many purple belts giving you a hard time...

It happens to me. But these lower belts soon become the same belt as me, and eventually pass me. It sucks, but those are usually the guys I try and train with the most.

ttt

andre, why do you think this particular guy was able to do this to you?

"I've been manhandled by a lower belt, and hung with and or beat higher belts .. in the same class that very same day. Go figure.
It can be really depressing sometimes.
"

Your mood is entirely based on your self-talk and the meaning you attribute to the event.

Same scenario + different goals/beliefs about training and tapping = not depressed

Andre,

By chance, the guy's name doesn't start with a "W" does it?