Attn:Holy Ground

I'm taking a little break inbetween writing this weeks sermon and engageing in a lovely little conversation over on the OG.

What i'm about to purpose could be a good thing or go awefully wrong lol. I am going to ask you guys to pick the topic of next weeks sermon and the one i like. i would like you to help me write it via e mail. i will then post the finished sermon the following monday and let you know how it went. This thread is open to everybody here...EVERYBODY

yours in Christ

sherm

did I mention by everyone i mean atheists,agnostics,Buddhists,spiritualists,Catholics,Protestants, jews,muslims...i'm serious.

yours in Christ

sherm

compassion is something worthwhile...perhaps you can talk about sacrifice and the benefits of it as well.

interesting..maybe

yours in Christ

sherm

The unity of the universe or what the world stands on

Theme: "What is sin? And, really, what kinds of sins are the ones we most encounter?"

How God is not created or destroyed by our concepts, the reality of the unbroken whole. ;)

SCRAP

scrapper lol I'm afraid the congregation would just sit there looking at me like i am loking at my screen right now.

yours in Christ

sherm

no think about it...in romans it talks about the philosphy of man and how its worthless. That could totally tie into what scrapper is saying.

Well, I guess you could explain how thinking is really a form of abstracting. Then explain that while thinking is something we do naturally, thoughts and concepts aren't REALITY, they can be looked at like a one paragraph Cliff Note of War and Peace. From my experience, this is why "religious" people fight with each other: everyone believes their particular concept of God is the REAL and, of course, the RIGHT one. God cannot be divided by thought and certainly not held in any one particular man's mind, no matter how intelligent he thinks he is. Of course, the challenge would be to see if people can actually look at their own thoughts and ADMIT they aren't REALITY...but I guess that could be a whole different sermon in itself, huh? ;)Oh yea, you'd also have to make sure that just because people see their own thoughts as illusory as they see someone else's thoughts (which is why we dismiss other people's opinions) we don't fall down the slippery slope of condoning criminal behavior and every other excuse people come up with for clinging to their beliefs (which people take to be themselves). I think this would tie in rather nicely with the thread you made on the OG, and how you took attacks on Jesus as attacks on yourself, how you responded, and why that simply perpetuates the violence you are trying to stop. Having beliefs doesn't mean you are those beliefs. Dunno, at least I learned something from your posts on the OG. :)Good luck!SCRAP

You could talk about the difference between material charity and moral charity, and why the later is harder to put in practice.

good ideas...keep em coming

yours in Christ

sherm

Sherm maybe you could clarify this in the sermon. I was married for 9 years. ive been divorced for 7 years. Am i wrong to still engage in pre-marital sex? I mean after all what a cruel joke of god to allow a woman to divorce a man and think he should abstain from sex till he remarries. I for one dont buy this logic but i also aint picked up my bible in over 15 years. Would be a nice read for me but very selfish considering the other topics suggested. ty Erick

Erick

If religion doens´t help our personal life too, I don´t know what it is for.

Love the neighbor *AS YOURSELF*.

hey bro, would be a cruel joke to allow someone to come to faith in Christ and then have his whole family killed unless he says Ceaser is God also, but that happens. Ultimately what you are asked to do, is better for you than the alternative. I went four years without before I was married, and it helped my marriage, if you get married in the future, it will help yours also.

the big brother :)

well Eric seeing that 40 of the 65 people i minister to are senior citizens...not sure how well that'll go over :-]

yours in Christ

sherm

You could give a sermon on the evil's of rock and roll...they would probably like that. Most of the senior citizen's in chuch where I grew up would have.

lol@Josh

well I usually begin writing my sermons on Weds. I finished it early today, then realized I needed to put it on the shelf and go with another one. Just trying to finish it up now. Fortunatly I have til 10:30 AM LOL

Hey Rev, you ever have this happen, your planning on doing a sermon, and God leads you in a completely different direction and you scrap your original one?

yours in Christ

sherm

Well its now wedensday where is our sermon? Was a good post and ive been waiting all week to se what you chose...........Erick

yah dude...Im intrested to see where God pushed you with that.