Attn: Instructors

Do you push your students to compete?

If you don't, why not?

I don't push them but I tell them positive aspects of why competing is good for you. I know time and money is always an issue.

"Do you push your students to compete?"

YES

I don't push it.  Competing doesn't fit into everyone's lifestyle. But those interested in competing let me know and I facilitate that experience.  

I just did my first seminar this past weekend and was asked this question. I don't push, but I do encourage competition. My reasons go far beyond Jiu-Jitsu. It is more of a life experience.

I know time and money is an issue for many. It even is for me sometimes. But fear is another big reason for not competing, although many will not admit it. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but fear is something we all deal with. The difference is how we face it. Does it control us, or do we control it?

Competing, at least once, can be a very empowering experience that can help us in our daily lives.

Good post Jayman!

Jayman sentiments are EXACTLY why I encourage students to do at least ONE tournament.

I use to,now I just hang the flyers on the wall,if someone is interested,we will go.

Every student gets into BJJ for different reasons so, as Roy Dean said, instructors should help facilitate the experience for which the student came for.

As far as controlling fear and the experience of competing- if the instructor feels that competition was an important necessity in his life, that is fine. However, an instructor should not assume that the needs and things that have brought fulfillment and benefit in his life also applies to other people. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes that people make, including myself, is to assume that what is best for you or a few is also the best for other other people.

I think that instructors owe it to their students to encourage them to compete at least once. No matter what motivates the student to train in jiujitsu, in the end he is there to get better at it. Competition is an important way of highlighting things that need to be worked on, whether mental or technical. Both aspects are important for anyone who wants to get better at BJJ, imo.

My instructor has always told me that one competition is worth three months of training.

You get out there, see what in your game works and doesn't work against an opponent you don't regularly train with who doesn't know your game. Invaluable experience.

Whenever a competition comes up, he lets folks know and encourages them about the benefits, but doesn't force anyone to compete.

I encourage them. I say that if someone firmly says he never wants to compete and he has his reasons then fine. If however there is some doubt - I do my best to sway him.

our instructor will mention them and tell people that there is benefit in competing. we really only have a few who compete regularly, though. he doesn't really push but will help us train for them if we decide to compete.

I think competition is healthy and should be encouraged through out life. Rising and falling to challenges is what gives us experience in life. The BJJ coach is there to provide more than mat instruction to his students. He is there to help teach life and what better way than to go to tourneys.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
Teddy Roosevelt.

We encourage it. As another avenue to enjoy and explore Jiu-Jitsu.

We pretty much have 2 types, students who really want the competitions and look for everyone within the region, and those who are there to do bjj purely for their own personal improvement at their own pace. They spar to see their improvement within the team but don't really want to compete.

We definitely emphasize that competing accelerates your growth in the sport due to the preparation, but we do not really ask those who have no urge to get better faster to compete.

I push the ones that express interest. With MMA there is a much greater divide between the guys that want to compete and the guys that are there for other reasons.

how about the instructors who dont compete? Theyre not supporting their own sport, mostly due to fear of losing to the instructor within driving distance of there own school, fear of students leaving

in the 90's their would be 10+ Black Belt matches.

I wouldnt train with an instructor that didnt compete unless a serious injury was the case

If my students do not do at least one comp in the first year I throw them out.