Attn: Jrs Fitness, inquiry....

When i had surgery last June,( hamstring graft for ACl reconstruction,) and was starting to do rehab, several people told me ( as well as the physio - therapist ), said no leg extensions on the machine. Why is this? Now that it is over 9 months, is it OK to do them......or just with light weights? My legs feel really good, doing lots of walking lunges, power lunges, squats, etc. Thanks for the input !!

When you do a leg Xtn. and are at the end range of motion (knee locked straight) the pad on your shin is basically pushing straight down while the seat portion of the machine supports the upper portion of your leg. In this position you create what is called shear force. It's like trying to shove the lower half of your leg right off of the top half. There are a few structures within the knee joint that are responsible to keep the leg from separating at the knee joint from this specific force. The main structure involved is the ACL. It can either tear the grafted portion or pull out the plug(s) holding the graft in place.

It is typically reccomended to stay from a leg Xtn. machine for at least a year after an ACL surgery. Some of the structures in the knee have very poor blood supply and can take that long to heal. And it is VERY important to remember that just because there is no pain it does NOT mean that everything is healed and ready for pre-injury stress. Besides, the benefit of leg Xtn. pales in comparrison to the possible risk of messing the surgeons good work.

Best in Health and Training, J. R.

Thanks a lot!! Your expertise, and advice is an invaluable asset to this forum. Maybe I will pass on the leg extensions. I dont want to take away anything from the rehab & recovery already done.........