Attn lawyers

I argued my case today, pretty successfully (well I wasn't found guilty) but the judge didn't make a ruling and asked for a brief by aug 8.

wtf is a brief? Phone Post 3.0

Oh boy...

Like a paper or a motion. Generally, it sets forth the facts, the legal issues, and why you think the facts (when applied to the legal issues) are in your favor.

Think of it like a final paper summarizing everything.

But briefs differ depending on their purpose - so briefs written before trial are different than briefs written after trial. Sounds like the judge wants a closing brief in your case, but I don't know the facts.

dizz - Like a paper or a motion. Generally, it sets forth the facts, the legal issues, and why you think the facts (when applied to the legal issues) are in your favor.

Thanks. Pretty much what I was looking for.

Does it need to be in a legal format or can a novice like me just present it in a novice (sorry if the term offends you attorneys, I don't mean novice attorney I just have a little knowledge on my case)? Phone Post 3.0

I mean in a novice format. Like just a regular paper. Phone Post 3.0

YourStoryisCoolBro - 
dizz - Like a paper or a motion. Generally, it sets forth the facts, the legal issues, and why you think the facts (when applied to the legal issues) are in your favor.

Thanks. Pretty much what I was looking for.

Does it need to be in a legal format or can a novice like me just present it in a novice (sorry if the term offends you attorneys, I don't mean novice attorney I just have a little knowledge on my case)? Phone Post 3.0

What do you mean by legal format? You mean like the style of paper?

To be honest, you can probably Google sample motions for your state to see what they look like, and then just copy that "style"

If that doesn't work, you could always get in touch with a local Legal Aid center to ask for advice on the presentation of the brief

Or, look up your judge's procedures online (if possible) to see what style he likes. It probably won't be listed, but a lot of states have local rules that describe what format they want for their motions - e.g. 12 point font, Times New Roman, Arial, etc. etc. Again, probably best to talk to a Legal Aid center in your state.

Worse comes to worst, most judges usually give pro se litigants some leeway when it comes to that kind of thing. Type it up, make it look presentable, sign it, and it should ok (the format, not necessarily the content). But again, some judges are assholes, so you may want to talk to the Legal Aid center.

Just don't handwrite that shit.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/delivery_legal_services/resources/pro_se_unbundling_resource_center/pro_se_resources_by_state.html

Here, pro se resources for each state. Look into your state and get some advice.

dizz - http://www.americanbar.org/groups/delivery_legal_services/resources/pro_se_unbundling_resource_center/pro_se_resources_by_state.html

Here, pro se resources for each state. Look into your state and get some advice.
Thanks dizz! VTFU. What I mean by format is can I just write it up as a summary, include the court cases relevant.

The judge was really helpful today during the trial so I don't see him being a dick but I don't want to lose based on a format formality. Phone Post 3.0

YourStoryisCoolBro - 
dizz - http://www.americanbar.org/groups/delivery_legal_services/resources/pro_se_unbundling_resource_center/pro_se_resources_by_state.html

Thanks dizz! VTFU. What I mean by format is can I just write it up as a summary, include the court cases relevant.

The judge was really helpful today during the trial so I don't see him being a dick but I don't want to lose based on a format formality. Phone Post 3.0

Ah, I see. I mean, I want to say that'd be ok, but I really don't know and can't offer any advice with the limited knowledge I have. I'd get in touch with a pro se resource center in your state to double check - it should be quick and painless to find out.

Like I said, worse comes to worst, Google sample briefs from your district or county to see how they shape up.