ATTN: MS

Hey Bro,

This is kinda a big request, so if you don't have time to respond its cool.hope all is going well with you. I'll have some kab stuff that I'll probably be bugging you with in the near future because Im reading a lot about that. Hope you don't mind.

First, I understand that reincarnation is an idea that is considered to be a fact by kabbalists. Is this the case in mainstream Judiasm as well? If so, are there scriptures inside the Torah or anywhere in the hebrew bible that support this idea? Or is it a more mystical revelation that makes sense with the way energy flows from the sephirot?

Also, I have some questions about a couple of passages in scripture Psalm 2:11-12 in hebrew. If you could give me your interperation of these scriptures and what they mean, I would appreciate your help.

Psalm 2:11-12
"Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son (nashqu bar), lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him."

The Hebrew for "kiss the Son" is nashqu bar. Even if this is translated, as some would have it, "Do homage in purity," the homage is to the Lord of verse II and to the Son of verse 7. I have been told that this means the Tenach clearly indicates that there is a divine personality who is called the Son of God, who is worthy of homage, and if we put our trust in him, we are blessed.

Can you confirm/deny the translation of this for me please?

Also, In Psalm 1 10, the one who is in a future day to rule in Zion is addressed as a divine personality by another who is also deity. "The Lord says to my Lord," writes David the (7-8) psalmist, "sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet. The Lord will extend your mighty scepter from Zion; you will rule in the midst of your enemies" (Psalm 110:1-2).

Here is one who is "the Lord" speaking to David's Lord and telling him to sit at his right hand until the time comes for him to rule in the midst of some who are now his enemies. Is the psalm is speaking of two divine personalities? One who is yet to be Israel's King.
"And the Lord shall be king over all the earth" (Zechariah 14:9).

"At that time they will call Jerusalem The Throne of the Lord, and all nations will gather in Jerusalem to honor the name of the Lord. No longer will they follow the stubbornness of their evil hearts" (Jeremiah 3:17).

This question was brought to my attention, Does the Tenach indicate how a divine eternal personality can be a Son? It was suggested that this is this not a great problem, since being a son suggests the idea of generation and birth? The divine solution: deity becomes a Son by way of incarnation, God taking upon himself humanity.

One more, Who are the three divine personalities Isaiah 48:11-18 speaks about? "Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last. (Only God is eternal.) My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens (the Creator is speaking)-, . . . And now the Sovereign Lord (one divine personality) has sent me (the speaker is eternal and the Creator, and therefore a second divine personality), with his Spirit (a third divine personality).

orrr....am I grasping at straw's with this one?

Thanks bro.

ttt for MS

ttt- dude I will not be able to work on this until the 2nd.

Your best bet for figuring out where reincarnation comes from would be reading scholem's material. Most mainstream Jews are not aware of it but anyone in Kab. knows about it. Outside of Zohar and Bahir I can not think of any serious mentions of reincarnation (which should really be soul-transmigration!).

Anyway, the 31/1 is 6 years with my gf, so I will be busy.

thanks bro..have a great new year.

josh: It was suggested that this is this not a great problem, since being a son suggests the idea of generation and birth? The divine solution: deity becomes a Son by way of incarnation, God taking upon himself humanity.

me: profound in it's simplicity, revelatory in it's nature and the truth of Christianity. Very nice!

Rooster,

It makes sense if it's true. However, often times Ive found when I've been told that a hebrew text means one thing, it really does not, and often ends up that we are grasping at straws trying to make the text say something. Its very important, imo, to let the text speak for itself and really get to the intent that the author(God through his messenger's) had to say about this. Since I don't speak or read hebrew, I have to find people that do who can try to explain the intent behind the text.

However, I find it a very appealing solution if in fact that does turn out to be the case too. Happy new year.

Happy New Year!

Reincarnation/soul transmigration http://www.aish.com/literacy/concepts/Reincarnation_and_Jewish_Tradition.asp

2:11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

2:12 Do homage in purity, lest He be angry, and ye perish in the way, when suddenly His wrath is kindled. Happy are all they that take refuge in Him.

The traditional belief is that G-d is speaking as though the Nation of Israel was a single ind.

110:1 A Psalm of David. the Lord saith unto my lord: 'Sit thou at My right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.'

G-d is telling David the King to sit at His right hand.

There will be a Moshiach. He will rule the world over from Jerusalem.

Isaiah is one trickey guy. See, there is no clear indication of when he is quoting G-d and when he is speaking as a man. If one assumes he is speaking as one who spoke with G-d then 48:16 Come ye near unto Me, hear ye this: From the beginning I have not spoken in secret; from the time that it was, there am I; and now the L-rd GOD hath sent me, and His spirit.

Note: Spirit is a really bad translation of Shehinah. Loosely, the prescence of the Lord that makes auras and halos around the divine.

Understand, Judiasm does not recognize the need for G-d to make Himself into a mortal nor do we accept this as a possibility for Moshiach.

MS

MS, what about God's appearance as theophanies (temporary physcial manifestations of God)?

burning bush, pillar of fire, splitting the sea, etc? Miracles to show if our faith is the size of a needle head, the light of Heaven will move mountains.

thanks man, I apprecaite your help as always.

but theophanies do allow for God to make Himself visible temporarily, correct?

He could, but why would He?