Attn OG Chess players

The Official OG Chess Thread

The OG Chess Group is setup on www.chess.com

-------------------------------------------

Download iPhone App or Android App
If you want to join in, got to chess.com and register, then post your username to our Registry Thread.
You will then receive an invite to the group from one of the Mods.
Depending on your notification setup on the site, you may have to go to chess.com and check your inbox for the invite.

When you become a member, you can challenge anyone to a friendly game. There are loads of active users.
You can also take part in tournaments or team matches.

When joining a team match, you have to go the Group page and over the bottom right you will see 'Matches' and in there you will see the list of Matches. If a Match isn't already in play, you can register there.

For those new to Chess, this group is full of helpful users that will gladly talk you through the basics. There are also some great training threads started in the group forums.

Chess Resource Index by ChrisPayne

Group link: http://www.chess.com/groups/home/the-og

Group Matches: https://www.chess.com/groups/matches/the-og

Current Match: Registration Open - Starts June 30 2020

Current OG Champion: chrspaynLunyGuy

** Our very own Fide master, MataleoFM, answers your questions in a fantastic thread created by sagiv0341 -  - FIDE Chess master. AMA  - - **

OG Chess.com Members:

• Funkstew - daire84
  • StickGrappler - StickGrappler
  • BrocksSwock - bgyuk
  • Barbarian - Crixus1
  • Cletus Redpecker - Cletus_R
  • Stormrider122 - molina122
  • TheBearStare - IAMCACKIMON
  • Wolfs Law - Uppgreyedd
  • Titan Ape - TitanApe
  • Rocg - LunyGuy
  • Louisianimal - bayoublood
  • AyyAnt - acintronmma
  • Jug full of P - JUGP
  • NastyChase - CMDeez
  • Diabeetus - Ljw5075
  • SphincterShrinker - preistholmes09
  • Robert Bentley - TheRobertBentley
  • Mataleo1 - FM - MataleoFM
  • 3rdAnd3 - same
  • Yusul - same
  • Dehumidifier - FM - TeamCrystal
  • Tripitaka triangle - McBehan
  • ChrisPayne - chrspayn
  • filfy - Redvers1
  • wasabi - oldmanwasabi
  • El_Varaco - same
  • pharochuck - pharoahinc
  • FrwakZilla - freak_zi11a
  • Mike Wazowski - Kosta518
  • Timbo Slice - Silcstar
  • Jackandcoke02 - bjjisnotlikechess
  • The Blizz - Blizz101
  • Pazz5 - Pazz5
  • romfartuna - Dageraad
  • JMO_LOL - JMO_LOL
  • Tinerrz - Tinerrz
  • manzuri - bobbaduche
  • QuinTheEskimo - Same
  • Dominated - Kojurui
  • Domizm - Same
  • HULC - Jam-Boy
  • UGCTT_Manny2984 - manny2984
  • Val Larralde - azgrappler
  • Takeshi miike - Otakujf
  • Jessy Ringquist - Jessy30
  • Tossed_salad - ogamiitto
  • TheFlesh22 - Mo7s
  • WithGrace - Scarbellewynn
  • Dupes - Tttommy
  • Steve_73 - rnow
  • Jon b - Jbbreese
  • Dazed - Rockstar189
  • Jeremy Carbone - Vango512
  • Armbarking - Sparky_MW
  • Govner - thegovner
  • Judge Mental - dizzydog99
  • Saglv - sagiv0341

I don't play as much as I used to,but I enjoy a game from time to time

I need to start playing again.

Thanks for the link OP. Phone Post 3.0

You're welcome!

After you guys sign up, post your username here and I'll start the OG group when I get some good numbers! Phone Post 3.0

I seem to remember we had a couple of high level players on the forum.

Was it Robert Bentley who was the highest ranked guy here? I am not bad but I think he was at another level.

Play on the app everyday, it's great Phone Post 3.0

Good to see interest, please post your usernames here and I will make an OG group! Phone Post 3.0

I don't play often and I'm no superstar, but I enjoy playing from time to time.  If someone says it is a game for nerds, I immedately disregard their opinion on everything.

We should use this thread to post tips on tightening up your game!

One easy thing that helped me be more effective, was to always keep my Knights towards the middle of the board.  By doing that you ensure that they have effective movement in all directions around the board, where as placing them close to the edge really limits them.

Love the game. Crixus1 on chess.com

Any favourite openings for you guys? Lately I've really been into the queen's gambit.

Blunderhooks - What's the best iPad app to learn chess?

I am a complete beginner. Literally don't know any if the rules! Phone Post 3.0
There are literally hundreds, just search chess for beginners.. Get the best reviewed freebie!

We should defo put up some tips for beginners here! I will add some stuff in later when I have time.

Download the free app chess.com and find me. Daire84
I will go through some tips with anyone who wants to learn the basics. I am no expert but I know the game somewhat!

Remember to come back here with your usernames and I will add you to the group! Phone Post 3.0

ArmbarKing -

I don't play often and I'm no superstar, but I enjoy playing from time to time.  If someone says it is a game for nerds, I immedately disregard their opinion on everything.

We should use this thread to post tips on tightening up your game!

One easy thing that helped me be more effective, was to always keep my Knights towards the middle of the board.  By doing that you ensure that they have effective movement in all directions around the board, where as placing them close to the edge really limits them.

Absolutely! Knights to the side are bad news!
Always fight for centre control! Number one tip! Phone Post 3.0

Timely post. I just bought the book "Learn Chess" [0] last night.

I'm at the very beginning stages of learning the game, I know how to move each piece but that is about it. Post all the advice you can think of.

[0] http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Chess-John-Nunn-ebook/dp/B007MQN6P6

I love Chess, but I'm a fairly shitty player-- probably around a 900 rating.

I'd get involved in OG Chess tourneys, though I'd likely get smashed Phone Post 3.0

Love chess, but I'm really bad at it.

But it'll change, getting a nice set for wife for xmas.....and I can't wait to whoop her ass in it. Phone Post

Cletus_R

Tips:<br /><br />Rooks: Their best positions are on open files, and it's best when they're connected (i.e. there are no other pieces between them). In the end game, rooks on the seventh rank are deadly<br /><br />Pawns: Try to have a nice pawn chain for the end game. You don't want any isolated pawns with no back up.<br /><br />Queen: Best not to take her out too quickly. She can do massive damage while she's out, but it's more easy to lose her, and then you're basically fucked.<br /><br />King: make sure he's protected. Castle immediately for safety. Bring him out in the end game.<br /><br />Bishops: try to position them on long diagonals, ideally aimed at your enemy's castled King. They work really good for pins.<br /><br />Knights: Really good for closed games (i.e. where the pawns are locked), since they can jump over pieces. In general though, they are less favoured than bishops.

molina122 on chess.com in for tourneys and challenges Phone Post 3.0

I have never really played chess much but its a great game. I'll try to get signed up this afternoon. I doubt I am very good but want to get playing again.

thedogofdogs

My wife's dad is a chess grandmaster and had written chess strategy books. He also use to play and wrote the foreword to Bobby Fischer's book. Phone Post 3.0