Attn OG Chess players

Funkstew - 

Jesus Dizz, those ratings are not to be scoffed at, yet you seem to convey a lack of self confidence! Ha! 

well done mate, keep up the mission!

we should start another team match, Prope be up for that?

though I’d love some heavy hitters in there. Mataleo, Dehumidifier, Rob? Would you be game?

Roc, I know you’d be as reliable as ever! 

I don't do the daily games much (I still have some tournament games left I believe but other than that I don't want to be "on the hook" for any more at the moment).

If I'm on there and you see me I'd be up for blitz or bullet or something!

I'll be happy when I can put proper time into study. At the moment it's only short bursts here and there to break up the day. Most of my time is spent reading, studying, writing, and working on my Art. I've got a number of big projects to finish before the end of the summer and until then serious study in other topics are a bit on hold. 

I got to 2750+ on the puzzles (currently just under 2600), Daily 2043, Blitz 2008, Bullet 1864 (I almost got to 2000 recently... sigh...), Rapid 1823 

Casually chatting with my neighbor over the fence while doing garden-work, it turns out he was also on chess.com. I then proceded to wipe him 10-0 in unrated daily games over the course of two weeks. It’s a lot of fun, but I feel bad for him. Is it disrespectful to offer rook odds in this situation?

robert bentley -
Funkstew - 

Jesus Dizz, those ratings are not to be scoffed at, yet you seem to convey a lack of self confidence! Ha! 

though I’d love some heavy hitters in there. Mataleo, Dehumidifier, Rob? Would you be game?

I don't do the daily games much (I still have some tournament games left I believe but other than that I don't want to be "on the hook" for any more at the moment).

I'll be happy when I can put proper time into study. At the moment it's only short bursts here and there to break up the day. Most of my time is spent reading, studying, writing, and working on my Art. I've got a number of big projects to finish before the end of the summer and until then serious study in other topics are a bit on hold. 

I got to 2750+ on the puzzles (currently just under 2600), Daily 2043, Blitz 2008, Bullet 1864 (I almost got to 2000 recently... sigh...), Rapid 1823 

That’s fair mate! 

what kind of Art do you work on? Anything to share? You should get some shit online and make a few bucks of the NFT movement!

F the OG stuff! :wink:

Funkstew -
robert bentley -
Funkstew -

That’s fair mate!

what kind of Art do you work on? Anything to share? You should get some shit online and make a few bucks of the NFT movement!

F the OG stuff! :wink:

I'm working on some NFT stuff that I'll be launching soon and will put in some F the OG stuff as well ;-)

With respect to the type of Art? I've got a variety of (you can check out my website www.bentleyartist.com - or my instagram www.instagram.com/TheRobertBentley )

Here's a couple:

"Millenial"

![](upload://zyAkY6MBJHIM5wp3XRzSCAwb7dX.jpeg)

"Angular Grace" - Ink and coloured pencil on paper

![](upload://yeyXv0yQvl9VjMUyNAwZYubfwlV.jpeg)

"Frank Zappa" - A portrait drawn in one single continuous line

![](upload://rTpjeQ4a5coer6xxNcgF41pttRT.jpeg)

"A Dancer's Form" - Another single continuous line drawing, but a different/quicker of single line drawing.

![](upload://bZ3gXamEGWu56gK6XIN3dwhkxY.jpeg)

"The incompleteness of memory, a Non-Euclidean head study" - Watercolour and Ink on paper. 14 x 17 inches

![](upload://bem3buPvKMg7biZb0HXxYsAeSzh.jpeg)

Job Security - 

Casually chatting with my neighbor over the fence while doing garden-work, it turns out he was also on chess.com. I then proceded to wipe him 10-0 in unrated daily games over the course of two weeks. It’s a lot of fun, but I feel bad for him. Is it disrespectful to offer rook odds in this situation?

If there's an enormous ratings difference I'd ask if he'd be interested in any pointers. 

If you're concerned about making it a challenge to you - the easiest way is to create the difficulties for yourself without giving odds. Things like trying to figure out the most efficient course of action, playing positions/openings you aren't comfortable in at all, putting yourself in really difficult positions seeing if you can find a creative way to counter-attack etc. You can also "cap" a piece and decide that the checkmate has to be given with that piece. This can be pretty hard because chance will often give you decisions where you'd need to sacrifice a more valuable piece to protect the one you're saving for the checkmate. 

Holy sweet Jesus!! That is some incredible stuff man!! Each of them have their own great qualities! That is a bag of talent you have there man. I had no idea.. 

Is that your primary gig, as an Artist or just hobbiest? 

Funkstew - 

Holy sweet Jesus!! That is some incredible stuff man!! Each of them have their own great qualities! That is a bag of talent you have there man. I had no idea.. 

Thanks so much! I have and will always be a full time Artist (based on skills and time dedication) but because of how unreliable income is from the Fine Arts I've always had another job to take care of my responsibilities. 

I've been creating as long as I can remember, and I've always felt that delving in deep with other subjects to not just be rewarding but helpful as a way to broaden my understanding/outlook on the world (which is why I've studied chess, languages, BJJ and other subjects)

Thanks to mataleao for the lesson, amazing knowledge. Looking forward to the next Tournament. 

1 Like
robert bentley -
Funkstew - 

Thanks so much! I have and will always be a full time Artist (based on skills and time dedication) but because of how unreliable income is from the Fine Arts I've always had another job to take care of my responsibilities. 

I've been creating as long as I can remember, and I've always felt that delving in deep with other subjects to not just be rewarding but helpful as a way to broaden my understanding/outlook on the world (which is why I've studied chess, languages, BJJ and other subjects)

Amazing dude, keep us posted when the NFTs go live! 

maybe a stupid question? But say someone bought a piece of digital art, she you own the blockchain key, right, but how can you display it? I suppose, real collectors would build a website to display there collections?

it’s a very interesting new market… can see it really taking off in gaming for sure 

Funkstew - 
robert bentley -
Funkstew - 

Amazing dude, keep us posted when the NFTs go live! 

maybe a stupid question? But say someone bought a piece of digital art, she you own the blockchain key, right, but how can you display it? I suppose, real collectors would build a website to display there collections?

it’s a very interesting new market… can see it really taking off in gaming for sure 

There are frames you can buy that will cycle through the images of your collection or display just one that you prefer. The valuable part is the ID that it's indelibly associated with (more or less) making it the NFT. 

robert bentley -
Job Security - 

If there's an enormous ratings difference I'd ask if he'd be interested in any pointers. 

If you're concerned about making it a challenge to you - the easiest way is to create the difficulties for yourself without giving odds. Things like trying to figure out the most efficient course of action, playing positions/openings you aren't comfortable in at all, putting yourself in really difficult positions seeing if you can find a creative way to counter-attack etc. You can also "cap" a piece and decide that the checkmate has to be given with that piece. This can be pretty hard because chance will often give you decisions where you'd need to sacrifice a more valuable piece to protect the one you're saving for the checkmate. 

Thanks! That sounds awesome, great ideas.

He’s mostly played tactics puzzles and games against friends with very few games, so it’s hard to tell his rating exactly. I’m a little over 1k and he’s probably a little under. The only aspect where I see him lacking is his reluctancy to trade pieces, and fatal blunders from time to time (but don’t we all? ??). To his credit, he’s avoided blundering in the current game, so I might have to eat humble pie shortly.

Bump for the new forum. How many of us have survived the switch?

1 Like

Did you know, you can now make a poll in a reply?

How many people made the switch?

Who made the switch?
  • I made the switch!

0 voters

This response has been underwhelming. I have seen a few of us chess players posting on other threads.

1 Like

I’ve survived the transfer!

To make up for the lackluster response on this thread I’ll brighten it up with one of my drawings :wink:

Here’s a portrait of Magnus Carlsen drawn in one single continuous line - 14 x 17 inches. Ink on paper.

1 Like

I survived the swap. And that’s some nice art work mate

Edit. I am way out of date lol

All I’m playing are tactics these days. Broke 2500, will be interesting to see if it ups my rating lol.

1 Like

That’s most of what I’ve been doing, crossed 2200 briefly which was a goal. Next goal is to stay over.

Hitting a few tactics problems is great for when you have a few minutes to kill. Or of you’re bored at work.

Hey guys, I asked elsewhere but what’s the best app to view and post on here?
I’ve been pretty much absent since the switch.I heard somebody mention the discourse app so I downloaded it but I can’t find here on there.

I’m on IOS.