Attn: OG Golfers

Hey...

I've just been put in a situation where it is imperative to get my golf game WAY the hell up. I've played before and had someone show me swings, but I need to get a lot better.

1. I was gonna look for a PGA-certified instructor here in the ATL and take a beginner's course and then do private time during the week. Any better ideas?

2. What's a good (read: forgiving) set of woods and irons that are good for a beginner?

3. Any other tips/ideas?

Wrong forum, but since it's because of a new high-speed job, it's appropriate.

TOki-
I've been golfing since I was about 12 and have played with some exceptional golfers, this is what has helped me over the years. I don't know what kind of player you are but it sounds like you are just starting so....

The quickest way to shave strokes off your score is with the short game. ie:chipping and putting. This is the hardest part of the game and it takes the longest to learn. If you can 2 putt every green you are well on your way to becoming a decent player.

Work on getting "up and down" from just off the green. Being able to chip from the fringe and 10-20yards out is huge, get it close to the hole and 1 putt in. Lots of good players miss the greens but the difference is they still make par because they can chip. Also practice alot from 100-120yards, take your wedge or whatever and get good at hitting the green from there it will really improve your game.

The long game:
Everyone wants to hit it big, but the risk/reward factor needs to be looked at. If you whip out the driver and hit is 280 but it's in the rough and not in good position to take a shot at the green, it's not worth it. Don't be afraid to hit a 3wood/5wood off the tee until you get confident in your swing. My old high shcool golf coach used to tell us to leave the driver in the bag in the beginning of the season and hit a 5 iron just to get back in the groove and keep the ball in play.

One other quick thing to keep in mind, if you are a bogey golfer(or double bogey) pretend that a bogey is a par, a par is a birdie etc... it takes the pressure off. If you play bogey golf mostly, you can't expect to par a bunch of holes every round and this may get you discouraged.

Good luck

Toki

I have played golf all my life and I also have lived in atlanta for most of my life. I would be happy to talk to you about golf and some good instructors in the atlanta area. Between my dad and I, we have tried many of them. My dad is an avid golfer and has tried tons of different teachers. Shoot me an email and I will give you my number and you can call me.

thomaso21@comcast.net

Anyone around Boston with similar advice to dock's post?

I am thinking about picking up golf, it seems kinda cool (ok, fun maybe). Where are some good places to go to learn the game around here?

T0ki,

Didn't you post this somewhere else? Or am I just getting old?

Bobby