Attn: Oscar De La Hoya

Your entire show sucked this Saturday. Here's why.

Remember when champions used to represent the toughest guys around? You know...men like Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, etc... Remember those guys? I know, it's a distant memory, but I remember. Well, those guys came to win...came to KO anyone in front of them. That's what made the fights exciting!

Oh, and they're throwing alot of punches too...not meaningless flurries after spending 2:30 cautiously creeping after your quarry.

Oh, and PBF? Be willing to do something other than wiggle and duck and fire that fast left hook and clutch the bones of your dance partner, eh? Maybe the fans will see some grit, some determination...someone taking a chance and not playing it safe for their exorbitant payday.

And when I spend $55.00, I expect to see QUALITY undercard fights. The first one was pretty good, but forgettable. I want to see champions, the sport's finest. If I watch MMA, I've got at least five fights to watch.

So, Oscar...your show was a complete disaster. People are so baffled by the "performance" because they've forgotten how real champions used to fight. That's okay...we've got MMA for that.

ciao

Your buddy, Rastus

Sorry.

-Oscar De La Hoya

lol...

There will never be another Roberto Duran in boxing. Ever. That guy was one of a kind.

aoutch. Can't say I blame you but as a boxing fan I enjoyed the fight. It was a good technical/strategic fight. But hey, I didn't have to pay for it...

The poster of this thread is 100% correct though!

Giorgos,

It was a decent spar for the two of them. There were some interesting "technical" aspects to the fight:

o DLH was able to nullify PBF's jab and protect himself from the hook.

o PBF does what he always does - keep his left shoulder up, deep ducking and stay away from danger.

o DLH won the battle of jabs, but elected to abandon the one punch that was working for him. When asked about it, "I don't know it was...just weird, one of those things grin mysterious..."

How about forcing your will to win a boxing match? If you shelled out $55.00 for that fight, you'd feel differently about it probably.

He's right...back then guys came to win not be cautuious...PBF will never be considered by any stretch the best of all time as he would like....sure her won but he acted like a pussy

Rastus ---

Great post.

Seamus619,

Roberto Duran is one of my all-time favorite fighters ever. I watched the first Duran-Leonard fight when I was a kid and couldn't believe his ferocity.

BTW, ever heard of Leonard vs Wilfredo Benitez? That's how "technical fights" used to be...men throwing meaningful, dangerous punches in the center of the ring.

If that fight last Saturday happened in the 1930's, they wouldn't have been paid.

"People are so baffled by the "performance" because they've forgotten how real champions used to fight. That's okay...we've got MMA for that."

Exactly. Gabe R. would have beat both these chumps. UFC for life!

Thanks, Sultan...

Jetster, you're right. Absolutely right. Manny Stewart said as much about his place in boxing history. He shouldn't even be in the same breath as Thomas Hearns, Sugar Ray Robinson, Kid Gavilan, etc...

"Gabe R. would have beat both these chumps. UFC for life!"

Gabe was not in the most expensive championship MMA match now was he, Alex? Before you shit-talk Gabe too, you should remember he fought guys like Melvin Guillard and damn near beat him.

The only thing you've beaten senseless, probably, are your keyboard keys.

This coming from a monday quarter back putting down guys like DLH and Maywather. Yeah, good one tough guy.

I'm allowed to be hypocritical. It's my thread.

"Before you shit-talk Gabe too, you should remember he fought guys like Melvin Guillard and damn near beat him."

Oh shit, I guess I was wrong. I guess DLH fighting Trinidad, Quartey, Mayorga, Ruelas, Hernadez, Chavez, Vargas, Hopkins, Mosley 2x doesn't really mean shit considering Gabe ALMOST beat Guillard. Thanks for setting me straight.

well to be fair to both sides, DLH did put up a fight; I mean after all, he was gassed out come 10th which at least goes to show that he gave all he had; well almost all. And he is a fighter who is known to do that most of the times.

However, Rastus is correct in saying that if this fight was to be considered as today's "Haggler vs. Leonard" or "Sugar vs. Duran", then boxing has taken huge steps backwards in the aspect of providing "raw" entertainment. But, again, to be fair, this was mostly due to PBF's game-plan/fighting-style. I mean when you are fighting a guy like PBF, there is only this much you can do. DLH's strategy was to cut the ring and force him onto the ropes in order to go for the body. He did that to some extent. In my eyes, he won rounds 2-9 (I was unsure of only one of those rounds) doing that; perhaps that is how it was in his eyes as well, thus, him not trying to rash a KO in the the late rounds.

Just my 2 cents.

DLH was trying to make a fight of it.

Rastus I agree.

Maybe DLH and PBF should hang out with Gatti and Mickey Ward a little bit.

I don't buy this DLH was trying to make a fight of it. He was barely throwing a punch beyond the sixth round and abandoned his jab completely. Feckless flurries were his mainstay, all of which PBF laughed at.

Floyd threw about 31 punches a round, most of which were blocked by DLH.

BORING!