ATTN: Pro Ice, OnePunchJD, Rockwell, EatonBeever..

Pro Ice -  ^ I think it'd be real cool to leave all the mma guys out, just go other athletes from other disciplines. This got brought up during the last tournament and I think it'd be great idea! 

Like you said the mma players would have a major advantage,  and would more than likely win the poles by a large margin

Agreed. I mean, how can BJ not win that tournament? But fights like Buakaw-PacMan, Gable-Helio, etc. will create awesome discussions.

wiggum - 
Pro Ice -  ^ I think it'd be real cool to leave all the mma guys out, just go other athletes from other disciplines. This got brought up during the last tournament and I think it'd be great idea! 

Like you said the mma players would have a major advantage,  and would more than likely win the poles by a large margin

Agreed. I mean, how can BJ not win that tournament? But fights like Buakaw-PacMan, Gable-Helio, etc. will create awesome discussions.

I was thinking the same thing.  However, I believe that Dan Gable could beat BJ Penn, as well as Helio Gracie.

The dilemma I am running into is- Do I take ALL the MMA players out?  Because while they might have an advantage, we COULD just say that the BJ Penn in this tournament is the BJ Penn who JUST won the Mundials.

Same with Sudo, we could say this was the Sudo BEFORE any MMA fights.

BJ Penn today beats all these people, BJ Penn before Freddie Roach is a different story though.

Then, there's also the fact that the entire fight game changes when you throw in headbutting and strikes to the groin/throat.

I am curious to see what other people think about this idea.

One more issue is that if we put ZERO MMA guys, history teaches us that the ground fighters will win.

You can't really argue against Gracie Jiujitsu vs. Striking because it's been done and GJJ clearly dominated.

Obviously it wouldn't be such a huge advantage against some of the other grapplers, but, the grapplers would probably end up dominating the tournament.

^ So do a striker's tournament and a grappler's tournament seperately Phone Post

Jigoro Kano- 5'5" 145 lbs

The Founder of Judo...

http://judoinfo.com/kano4.htm

Captain America -  ^ So do a striker's tournament and a grappler's tournament seperately Phone Post

I think that's a valid suggestion.  I do enjoy the NHB aspect of a real fight though, I think that changes grappling quite a bit and adds the X factor that makes MMA more exciting than a pure grappling or striking match.

It's even reasonable to say if each fighter has 6 months notice of the fights, they have adequate time to at least drill the basics of their particular weakness and develop a foundation.

6 months of sprawl training... so to say.

Tom O'BedsMen -  One more issue is that if we put ZERO MMA guys, history teaches us that the ground fighters will win.

You can't really argue against Gracie Jiujitsu vs. Striking because it's been done and GJJ clearly dominated.

Obviously it wouldn't be such a huge advantage against some of the other grapplers, but, the grapplers would probably end up dominating the tournament.

I think setup and match ups matter a lot. Gable probably beats Pac Man, but does he beat Marcello Garcia? Making compelling match ups really matters here.

Captain America -  ^ So do a striker's tournament and a grappler's tournament seperately Phone Post
 Like the WCC, a grapplers division and a strikers division? 

WCC? Phone Post

Captain America - WCC? Phone Post

WCC was an early mma event that held an 8 man tournament with a striker's side and a grappler's side. The grappler's side had Renzo Gracie and Bart Vale, and the striker's side had Erik Paulson and James Warring among others. The grapplers side had full nhb rules if I remember correctly, but the striker's side had no submissions on the ground.

This is the tournament with the infamous Renzo-Ben Spikers fight where Renzo intentionally stepped on his neck after tapping him out. The story goes that Spikers had talked a lot of trash even going so far as to call Renzo in his hotel room in the middle of the night, so Renzo was not that pleased with him.

Anyway James Warring, who was a kickboxer and a very solid Cruiserweight boxer won the striker's side by holding onto Erik Paulson's pony tail and pummeling him, and Renzo won the grappler's side. They met in the finals under full nhb rules and of course Renzo chocked him out in a couple of minutes.

lol I just looked and Jet Li is a legit Wu Shu master and is 5'7", 145lbs.

Jet Li in the tournament?

What do you guys think about the WCC format?

Tom O'BedsMen -  lol I just looked and Jet Li is a legit Wu Shu master and is 5'7", 145lbs.

Jet Li in the tournament?

What do you guys think about the WCC format?

I think you let them fight, maybe just arrange some of the matchups to get certain fights, and perhaps do what you mentioned about each guy being given 6 months notice. You could say that each guy is at their athletic peak, but transported to present day with the opportunity to train with the current best camps available. Of course that will involve a lot of speculation, but I guess a fight with Bruce Lee and Manny Pacquiao would anyway.

I don't really like the WCC format here, it's all about match ups and brackets, like nhb said

I don't know about the 6 month to train or the transporting to present day thing, I know these tournaments are all speculation but I think it's most realistic if you go by the skills we've seen these fighter actually poseses, not ones they might have, could have.

Pro Ice -  I don't really like the WCC format here, it's all about match ups and brackets, like nhb said

I don't know about the 6 month to train or the transporting to present day thing, I know these tournaments are all speculation but I think it's most realistic if you go by the skills we've seen these fighter actually poseses, not ones they might have, could have.

Though I do like the idea of the WCC format, I agree with both of you that it's the wrong format.

I also see what you mean about speculation, however, by throwing Bruce Lee in the tournament, it has pretty much all become speculation.

This is the list so far-

Helio Gracie

Jigoro Kano

Bruce Lee

Manny Pacquiao

Dan Gable

Marcelo Garcia

Jet Li

Buakaw

That's an 8 man tournament, right there.  I would like to open it up for more suggestions as far as format, match-ups, additions, etc.

Preliminary match-ups seem almost too obvious on this one-

Helio Gracie vs Dan Gable

Jigoro Kano vs Marcelo Garcia

Bruce Lee vs Jet Li

Buakaw vs Pacqiuao

Edited because Jigoro Kano vs Helio Gracie actually makes more sense because each actually founded their particular martial art.

What's the status Tom?

nhbguy - What's the status Tom?

Status is a GO!

Initial Bracket looks like this

Jigoro Kano vs Helio Gracie

Bruce Lee vs Jet Li

Buakaw vs Pacquiao

Dan Gable vs Marcelo Garcia

Anyone that would like to do a fantasy write-up for a particular fighter, please feel free to do so, message me the write-up and I will use it for the tourney.

This is going to be good!