ATTN: Pros, Promoters, Etc. PLEASE! (advice)

I apologize for the FRAT.
For you fighters, can you tell me, on average, how many times a physician has really looked at your eyes during a physical prior to the fight? What all gets check both consistently and inconsistently? When cornering guys I’ve personally noticed some not-so-in-depth checks.

For any physicians here, what do you look at when checking out a fighter? Any inconsistencies?

For promoters and commissions and such, what are your regulations for a hopeful fighter that is blind in one eye?

I’ve been blind in one eye since early childhood. It’s a condition called amblyopia. Yep, lazy eye. In short, the brain just chooses to use the better eye and forgets about the bad eye. I’ve actually had cosmetic surgery on the eye so you can’t even tell by looking at me. My good eye is about 20/30 or so. At the most, my bad eye has “light perception”. I can’t see objects or even the big “E” on the chart. At the most, I can just tell that there is a bright light at the end of the room.

I’ve always known that I probably would not be allowed to fight. I’ve “casually” looked into it in the past and my suspicions have been confirmed. I even did so, on a thread here on this site about 6 years ago. I kind of just decided to “accept it” and just kept coaching and casually training (28 years in martial arts).

BUT, I just can’t get it out of my head. It gets worse every day. Especially since the sport has exploded, and every chump you run into is a “fighter” now. I’m almost in a state of depression about it. I don't train consistently, my cardio and diet blows, and I feel like "why should I even bother." I’ve put on 50 pounds over the past 6 years, and I feel utterly disrespected by others. All they see is a guy that coaches but “he ain’t ever fought!” That hasn’t been said to me, but I know how fickle this sport can be sometimes. It’s a put up or shut up world. It also probably doesn’t help that I’ve had some “friends” in the sport that most likely didn’t have much business fighting that would ask me for help. Of course, I help them and then become associated with them despite what the truth is. Anyway, I recently contacted the commission in my state. As soon as the words “blind in one eye” came out “No” came from the other end of the phone. At that moment, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I broke down.

In the past, I’ve had tons of ideas. Legally “prove” it is safe for me to fight. Try to “hide it” from promoters/physicians/competitors (what happens if they find out). Just advertise it and put it out there as the reason I don’t fight (don’t want people to know though). Go fight overseas (what’s that gonna accomplish though). Try to get a “waiver” from some sanctioning body. What do you think?

I can see the argument. If I get an Alan Belcher or Anthony Johnson type injury in my good eye, that is it. I could be completely blind. I’ve even thought about guys like Hamill and Maynard. Those guys are heroes. But, people close to me have said “It’s not like Hamill can lose his hearing or Maynard could lose a leg. You can lose your good eye!” I know there has been guys that fought legally blind (not better than 20/200 in the better eye). Now I’m technically “not legally blind”, but I don’t believe there has been one completely blind in one eye. Although, rumor is Nog has only 30% in one eye.

You may ask "why do you want to fight?" I don’t know. I love martial arts. I’ve taught for years. I may not be the world’s best fighter, but I feel I’m a great instructor. I’ve got a passion for it. It helps me provide for my wife and kids. I don’t want some start up yahoos taking what I feel is mine simply because of a “condition”. I feel I could get some wins. Some losses too, but definitely some wins. I want people around me to be proud of me. I want “credit” for the years I’ve spent in the arts. Even after all that is said, I still really don’t know why. Maybe it’s just a battle within myself. Not only with this condition, but with everything. Hmm.

TTT

Holy Lurker!

Hi KKM.

10’ers gonna 10.

“My God these My God threads!”

Don’t fight, you’d get smashed anyway.

Now we’re good.

Physicals normally depend on the promotion doing the fights. If its a large enough show, then they'll usually have the Athletic commission deal with it. I've been to fights where a "physical" consisted of looking at a fighter, barely...all the way to an in depth type of physical.

Every promotion is different. And so is every commission. (Although it is getting better...kind of.)

My advice to you: There are limbless grapplers and deaf fighters...I wouldn't think your "disability" would cause you to be unable to fight. My only concern would be you defending thaat side properly. Last thing you want is a roundhouse to find its way to the "blindside"...That being said, don't let anyone tell you no. If this is what you wanna do, do it! good luck.

Thanks and TTT

TTT for more responses

no advise just wanted to ttt your thread and say your screen name is great!!!

TTT

After all these years, I'm sure you've tried this, but I just wanted to ask. Have you done therapy on the eye? Usually what they do is have you cover the good eye for a certain amount of time each day to trick your brain into using the weak eye. The thought is that the more you use it (in a very deliberate and calculated fashion), the stronger it becomes.

I just wanted to chime in and say go for it. Realistically, you could end up KTFO from a blind side shot, but the chance of serious injury is pretty low if you are matched up with someone of similar skill.

It sounds like you are more than willing to take that chance to do something really important to you. It also sounds like if you are smart and do some research, you will find a promotion that will let you fight.

One caution though. Given that there IS a chance you could get badly fucked up, is it fair to your opponent to hide your disability? Think how a guy would feel when he finds out he just sent a half-blind guy into the ICU.

The level of prefight physical depends on the jurisdiction in which you want to fight.

Where are you at?

Purple Lightnin - After all these years, I'm sure you've tried this, but I just wanted to ask. Have you done therapy on the eye? Usually what they do is have you cover the good eye for a certain amount of time each day to trick your brain into using the weak eye. The thought is that the more you use it (in a very deliberate and calculated fashion), the stronger it becomes.

By the time my parents found out, at the time, they voted against the patching. I was in school already and the eye was pretty far gone. I would have to wear the patch for years, in front of my peers, and be guided around.

However, my middle child has the same condition. We had cataract removal surgery on him when he was one, he wears a prosthetic lens (contact) or glasses, and we patch his eye two hours a day. Going to do a lens implant when he's about 6 years old. He'll be good to go!

Kurle - The level of prefight physical depends on the jurisdiction in which you want to fight.

Where are you at?

Georgia. As mentioned though, I have cornered some guys and watched the physicals, I've contacted the commission in my state, and I have nothing against fighting in other places (probably prefer it).

TTT

Bump

When I was fighting in Canada, they had no physicals before the show. The only thing you had to provide was a release form. That being said, that was almost 7yrs ago. I know in Atlanta @ Wild Bills Fight Night they did provide us with great doctors/physicals as well as eye exams. Again, that was yrs ago. (Ran Weathers and Steve Kinnison are CRAZY dudes, btw.)

If its not noticeable and your not worried about it, I'd leave it out of the picture. If you are concerned of injury, it may be best to find an amateur kickboxing bout with headgear, etc... Maybe even a grappling tourney because its based alot on touch and not sight. Start with those, then go onto full contact MMA.

:)

TTT

I hate to be a fag, but you need to REALLY think this through if you have a family of your own to look out for.

You can never control other's reactions. But unless you truly feel you NEED to have fought pro MMA to be complete in your life, its a very real risk considering .

Thanks for the input Helwig.

TTT