Attn: S. Kesting re: Kneebars.....

.....or anybody else that wants to pipe in.

On Stepan Kestings Kneebar DVD, which is excellent by the way, he shows multiple postions for your leg placement while performing a kneebar. One of these positions involves crossing your ankles under your opponents butt. Wouldn't this put you at risk for injury if your opponents weight came down on your crossed ankles? It seems as though triangling your opponents leg, which Stephan also shows, would be safer for you.

Thank you

Hi there

I don't think that this injury is impossible - it is possible to tap yourself out in all sorts of freaky situations. I just don't think that it's very likely.

If such an injury were to occur it would have to be at high velocity, but the fact that you are hanging onto his leg like a crazed Koala makes that momentum difficult to develop.

I have never seen anyone get injured while using the crossed ankle method, in fact, I have never even heard of that happening to anyone. Have you, or is it just speculation?

Stephan Kesting
www.grapplearts.com

Stephan-

Thanks for your answer and putting out a great product.

I actually saw an MMA fight where a fighter got a partial rear naked on his opponent and crossed his ankles (obvious no-no). His opponent began rolling side to side trying to escape. When his opponent rolled to his own stomach, the pressure snapped the lower leg. Basically, one leg broke over the other.

Thanks

I'd just like to chime in and say thanks to Mr. Kesting as well. Dynamic Kneebars is excellent, and I'm not just saying that because it has helped me tap the hell out my friends...

Okay, well ya, that is the reason why actually.

Thank you,

C.

www.WhiteBelt.org

I'm not Mr. Kesting, but I've found that for the kneebar, that's one of the better foot placements for that technique.

Koma - I could see that happening in the rear mount a little bit easier than in the kneebar - there is less slack in the system and less movement options when you are rearmounted and are crossing the ankles.

That being said, there is no 100% safe technique out there - it is fighting and sometimes freaky things happen to good people. It is just that I have never seen or heard of anyone getting injured doing the kneebar with the foot position you refer to. It is possible, of course, but not something I'm going to lose much sleep over. If you are really worried about it, go with the leg triangle position and switch to the crossed ankle position when the situation becomes less dynamic and more static.

Old Gypsy saying: 'sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you...'

I would like to add my 2 cents here. It has already been stated by Michael Jen what a wonderful product this is, so it may sound a bit redundant but I will any way. :-) The way Stephan has laid the material out is wonderful, if nothing else for the fact that he begins with the proper way to hold the leg/foot and gives you variations that will work as well. I think this is probably the most crucial aspect of the instructional due to the fact that without this knowledge, obtaining the submission can be difficult most of the time. This is the foundation of the techniques and should not be underemphasized! Don't get me wrong, all of the material is fantastic, well thought out and presented, but with the current upswing of videos and books coming out with some of them adding kneebars to the arsenal, how to hold the leg properly will be (and in some cases already is) missing. Huge mistake. For instance, I have been able to obtain the leglock from various positions before I ordered this video, but more often than not, wasn't able to submit my opponent, and it was because I didn't know the right way to hold the leg. Plus, I never would have imagined that it didn't matter if it were the top or bottom leg, as long as the hold is there, you have a great chance of pulling it off. Another great bonus is that Stephan shows you how it should be taught. As an instructor, it is a welcome breath of fresh air to have a great instructor like Stephan show you the way he teaches it, this way I don't have to come up with a way to present the material to my students. So, it goes without saying, I highly recommend this instructional to anyone looking to improve this aspect of their game. I will be purchasing the Omoplata instructional in the very near future as well. Thanks Stephan!

Bryan Smith