MMA Underground Forums

ATTN Steven Saito, Soul Samurai

Great Interview on MMA808 tonight.

Nice T*U placement with your Muay Thai T*U shirt during your spar session.

Please contact me before your next fight for sponsorship!

Cheee Hooo!!!

Cheee Hooo!!!

Cheee Hooo!!!

I am so impressed by Steven that I had to post it twice.

LOL!

i'm still a little confused as to what the show was about?

that said, i think it would've been great had the whole show been about steven's story.

^ lot of info in too short of a program. good teaser to the sport.

i noticed when showcasing positive role models in the sport, they actual used live examples and when bringing up negative fighters, they didn't use any model. obviously, trying to pull public opinion towards good aspects of mma. soul samurai was a great interview and a great fighter for mainstream hawaii to follow.

i think the show was a portal (for noobs) into what MMA really is, and how it affects our community good/bad.

i appreciated it.

Chee for S-quad!

Overall entertaining but im with FCTV show kind of jumped all over the place.

Also some of the shots or stock footage had a PBS type of feel to it or kind of that High School science class documentary on the layers of the earth lol

Good to see Steven getting so much positive feedback here. He's a good person.The reasons for putting out the documentary were many:
- To define MMA for mainstream viewers
- To address safety issues
- To humanize Hawaii's mixed martial artists by showing there are more dimensions to their lives than just competing (e.g., family, work)
- To show how MMA is including different demographic groups (women, youth)
- To address regulation
- To call on the MMA community for helping to reduce/prevent youth violence
- To show that violence isn't limited to MMA, and that in the scope of our world, violence embodied in MMA is actually quite tame.

It was a lot to pack into 48 minutes. I agree, it would have been artistic and informative to do a whole show on Steven, or even Hawaii's amateur scene. However, if we did that, we probably never would have gotten a full hour on TV, as much commercial support, and certainly would not have preempted an entire news broadcast. So in order to get the exposure we did, we needed to also have stories on Egan, B.J., and their families. Basically, there were political/financial issues we had to consider while putting this together and getting it on TV.

Yes "wannaberich," you hit the nail on the head. We deliberately didn't associate any negative stories with individuals. While possibly legal (maybe not), we didn't think that would be ethical. People make mistakes in life and deserve to get back on track. Our society can be quite unforgiving. We thought it was more appropriate to have people address the negative issues at hand (e.g., posting fight videos on YouTube) by simply talking about them.

Tomorrow afternoon, I will post a link that will take people directly to the page where "MMA 808: Inside Hawaii's Fight Game" can be viewed in its entirety, in high quality.

Thanks to all who watched it last night. We hope the documentary sparks positive movement for MMA in Hawaii and for Hawaii as a whole. Thanks also to everyone at PacificNetwork who did the work behind the scenes. One week ago today, Johann Bouit (one of the directors) flew to Vegas, interviewed Dana White, flew back to Hawaii and integrated the interview into the documentary...all within 36 hours.

All I did was ask interview people, write the narrative, and host it, which honestly, isn't anything compared to the editorial, technical, and financial work that goes into packing so much cohesively into one hour.

David

GET STUNG!

Nobody better say anything about MMA being associated with violence or they'll get punched in the face!

IN THE FACE!!!!

yeah what jimmy said

LMAO! jnak has just punched teh correct into this thread!!!

I actually liked seeing Egan just as much. Not only because he is well spoken and has been around forever but because he is willing to say that there are many things wrong with the sport here. It seemed the documentary tried to stay away from the dominant negative element in Hawaii MMA these days. I also thought the actor brought up a lot of good points. I found it puzzling that documentary was asking questions this far into the game. The sport was already much more popular here years ago and those questions have been asked and answered time and time again in Hawaii since then.

FCTV,

why you sound so butthurt over this program?

All-in-all, i think it was a good program that helps to promote this sport that we love.

I think FCTV is just one of the few people known in MMA circles in Hawaii who is actually willng to tell things like they are. Egan is another one of those people who makes a living off of it but it is willing to admit there are many things wrong with the sport here. I am a firm believer that the traditional martial arts values died when MMA came along.

Chris Clugston Fan - I think FCTV is just one of the few people known in MMA circles in Hawaii who is actually willng to tell things like they are. Egan is another one of those people who makes a living off of it but it is willing to admit there are many things wrong with the sport here. I am a firm believer that the traditional martial arts values died when MMA came along.

i have no idea how this has anything to do with my question. Please enlighten me with you're infinite inside scoop o' knowledge.

Get off my Steven Saito thread cod damnit!

You are saying he seems butthurt over the documentary but you are a little too slow to figure out why.

"too slow to figure out why"?

like i said, mister MMA Hawaii, why don't you enlighten my slow thinking ass!

*sorry about the hijaq Naks :(