Attn: Tony B....

Tony B?!? Sorry, didn't mean to make you sound like a Backstreet Boy. Anyways Tony, can you shed some light on how professional fighters mentally prepare themselves to step into the ring? I can only imagine the pressure and apprehension that must lead up to these events for the fighters. Also, how do you train your students for the similar mental durability of a street encounter? Are they similar, as both events are combative, or is there a difference in that with an organised event, you have months to prepare? I would imagine that for myself, the months waiting for the event could lead to a psych out if not careful? Wow, large can of worms here. Thanks for any info!

Hayden,

Interesting question.

I'm going to give you a superficial answer because there is no 'way' to prepare other than the one the 'you' the fighter self-develop over time [trial & error].

I've been in many changing rooms prior to big fights and have noticed the following:

1. Fighter in a trance

2. Fighter asleep

3. Fighter joking

4. Fighter shadow-boxing

5. Fighter puking/peeing

If the game is a career choice then overtime a ritual is developed.

DO you want the people you love around or is isolation better? Do you get juiced with negative taunting or positive affirmations?

Why is a book entitled to determine 'your' process? [Rhetorical: meaning, again, it must be learned]

Duran used to beat the crap out of his sparring partners [His mind-set was to fully prepare for battle]

Carlos Monzon [another legendary champ] used to go light with his sparring partners [his mind-set was: save it for the fight!]

Who was right? [Both were undefeated for around a decade during their era!

I'd encourage you to post in different forums as their are many great fighters in the UNDERGROUND and I guarantee they all prepare similarly but different?!

As for preparing my students, my system uniquely emphasizes constant self-reflection and appreciation of the emotional/psychological connection. [We happen to have 3 audios on the subject – shameless plug]. We constantly work on scenario evaluations and replications of real confrontations. This all leads to 'potentially' greater confidence in any given conflict as the real life sensory stimuli is not an 'overload' like it is for most others, because we have already anticipated as much of the problem as we can.

Recommend you read the ARCHIVES with threads on the BMF process, the simulations, the HOCKEY BEATING thread says a lot, as well as the STOP ERIC COBB thread.

All these share very detailed insights into this process.

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks alot for the insights Tony!