Audio Nerds? Show us your systems!

I resisted CDs as long as I could.

Think I finally got my first one in 1997 IIRC.

They were fine for home use, bit didn’t travel well and got ridiculously Skippy.

I still have 35 year old cassettes that work just fine.
CDs and CD players were glitchy.

1 Like

In your opinion, what is the need for vinyl if you have CD or “lossless” quality audio. I don’t know that I could tell the difference.

I had 2 10" Solo Baric Kickers and an Alpine head unit in a Saturn SL. The stereo was worth more than the fuckin car.

2 Likes

Phew…… that’s a huge debate/topic. Haha. I’ll just say that in most cases vinyl sounds better to me. I stream quite a bit but mainly only use it to listen to stuff I’m considering buying on vinyl. I’ve A/B’d lossless recordings with the same record on vinyl and vinyl always wins for me. At least on my system. For me it’s the soundstage, instrument image, and overall dynamics where I see the biggest difference with vinyl. And since that’s primarily what I’m looking to experience, sitting in the room or studio with the people playing the instruments, vinyl always does it for me.

2 Likes

This documentary might shed some light on that.
There’s just something alive about it.

2 Likes

these’ll make me swap my condo for a home in the country.

1 Like

You have to understand, part of the satisfaction from your system came not just from being pleased by its sound, it was also immensely gratifying to know that you selected this system: you did the research, you did the in-store comparisons, you made the decisions regarding how to apportion your limited budget.

(“Do I go for the better speakers and the less powerful amplifier or do I spend for more watts of power and get the step-down speakers, which are just about as good?”)

Lots of choices to make. Lots of factors to weigh. Therefore, your system was highly personal, it was reflective of your taste, your priorities, your sensibilities. If you were into stereo as a hobby, your system really represented you.

Truly great audio has a stunning effect on people, because they never knew that that kind of sound was possible, that that kind of experience could be had.

That experience is what’s missing from the vast majority of today’s audio. It makes noise, it delivers dialogue, weather, a recognizable tune, familiar lyrics. But regular audio today does not deliver an experience.

Regardless of the delivery format, most people these days don’t even think about sound quality, other than the very basics of it being clearly discernable and free from gross obvious distortions.

2 Likes

Great fucking thread!

1 Like

They’re great. Highly recommend.

1 Like

Are tower speakers still sold?

Absolutely, theyve gotten a little more expensive but a quick search should show you a lot of options. Most major cities have nice hifi shops as well. Grab an amp with a digital input for the TV and you’re good to go. Companies like Klipsch or Paradigm make some good entry level stuff.

4 Likes

Simple enough to have the conversation without courting any controversy at all:

We shoot arrows first & draw bullseyes around where they land, all the time. Fender Strat, Stradivarius, '57 Chevy, Mom’s cooking, Grandma’s love. Then we compare everything else to those & find they come up short, without regard to what improvements have been made, or at what expenses.

For some people, that’s vinyl. Doesn’t even matter what’s “better,” however you choose to define that. There are legitimate arguments to be had about analog vs digital, fidelity, the tactile experience, this spec vs that one, etc., but none of them actually matter.

That said, I do want to address this directly. Lossless doesn’t mean perfect, as is implied here; it just means a data set is complete & uncompressed. That says nothing at all about the quality of the data or how it’s used. Everyone would prefer a 320 Kbps lossy MP3 through a good set of headphones over a lossless 4KHz sample running through a 4-bit Atari TIA card.

2 Likes

Very nice!

In

adcom GFA - 555 mono blocks
depending on source either
adcom GFP - 555 pre amp
or
bryston SP1.7
acoustic research turntable with a rega tone arm black diamond stylus
B&W 605 towers
B&W HTM 2D center
B&W 603 rear surrounds