audiophiles?

left my component system behind and just picked up the kanto tuk and sub8 for my condo. a fraction the cost and liking the simplicity.

now thinking of the kef ls50 wireless 2 when I buy/build a home.

anyone switch from components to amplified speakers? miss the building experience?

"You have to understand, part of the satisfaction from your system came not just from being pleased by its sound, it was also immensely gratifying to know that you selected this system: you did the research, you did the in-store comparisons, you made the decisions regarding how to apportion your limited budget.

(“Do I go for the better speakers and the less powerful amplifier or do I spend for more watts of power and get the step-down speakers, which are just about as good?”)

Lots of choices to make. Lots of factors to weigh. Therefore, your system was highly personal, it was reflective of your taste, your priorities, your sensibilities. If you were into stereo as a hobby, your system really represented you."

can always play with placement, isolation, and room treatments (first reflection point panels, bass traps, etc.), I suppose?

Brand new component audio enthusiasts don’t seem to be being created any longer. The under-30-ish crowd doesn’t even think in terms of acquiring separate audio gear.

To them, “audio” is not something separate and apart from everything else; instead, the notion of “audio” is not thought of at all. It’s simply, automatically part of something else.

Alexa comes with its own little speaker and amplification built-in. The thought of “customizing” it and replacing its audio portion with something different is not even a fleeting consideration.

Which is a shame, when you think of it. Good audio is easily discerned by anyone, even so-called novices. I have a really good 2-channel audio system: Big tower 4-way speakers with multiple 12-inch woofers, 400 watts RMS per side, a really SOTA CD player, acoustically-treated walls, and the room itself has nearly ideal dimensions that do not impart annoying resonances on the sound. It’s a great system in a great-sounding room.

I have a very wide range of good music on CD: jazz, classical, popular, rock, rap, you name it. Invariably, guests will ask to hear my system. I say, “What kind of music do you like?” If it’s someone older than, say 40-50, they’ll usually pick some classic rock/pop and I’ll pop in a disc and hit ‘play.’

That crashing sound you hear is the sound of their jaw hitting the floor. Truly great audio has a stunning effect on people, because they never knew that that kind of sound was possible, that that kind of experience could be had.

That experience is what’s missing from the vast majority of today’s audio. It makes noise, it delivers dialogue, weather, a recognizable tune, familiar lyrics. But regular audio today does not deliver an experience.

Regardless of the delivery format, most people these days don’t even think about sound quality, other than the very basics of it being clearly discernable and free from gross obvious distortions.

Waiting for the “Pedophiles” spin thread. 

2 Likes

Yep it drives me crazy when people spend thousands on a TV and zero on surround sound. In addition,a good Two Channel Audio setup vs a soundbar or Alexa speaker is a vast difference. I love to see people’s faces when I play music or movies. I have had more than a few friends get into sound/audio soon after

I consider myself an audiophile and I am constantly adding and changing my set up.  It is focused around home theater but I also have a decent record and cd collection.  The room I use leaves a lot to be desired because I have an open concept home.  I freaking love my audio but my wife gets sick of me tinkering with it and playing it loud.

I think most people are into the convenience and not the quality. I also believe a good number of people just don’t know

I’m a long time audiophile, not that it will help you.

I’ve demoed some active speakers (e.g. Kii 3) and they were very good, but nothing that swayed me from my passive speakers.

Since I prefer tube amps, active speakers don’t really appeal to me.

But if you can let go of the “I have to have control over every element” aspect, then active speakers have some clear technological advantages. (Though, some other disadvantages, including requiring extra AC outlets).

Most younger audiophiles are into mobile devices on the go, and small dacs and amplifiers for headphones at home.

That audiophile segment is booming, just cheack out the forums at head-fi, or whats available on Drop.

As far as stereo components, big speaker system and whatnot, thats mostly boomers and genX-er territory.

2 Likes

one of the major avenues that created audiophiles in the past has been cut off at the legs.  Car audio was a huge gateway drug into home audio.  with the new integrated systems and the difficulty of interfacing and customizing those folks who would make major gains in their car environment and want the same for their home are lacking the exposure of the quality differences between a stock system and an engineered system

Stop diddling audios you fucking monsters. 

3 Likes
Cuckoldberry Finn - 

one of the major avenues that created audiophiles in the past has been cut off at the legs.  Car audio was a huge gateway drug into home audio.  with the new integrated systems and the difficulty of interfacing and customizing those folks who would make major gains in their car environment and want the same for their home are lacking the exposure of the quality differences between a stock system and an engineered system

Not entirely true. Most audiophiles consider car audio a waste of time, theyre two totally different markets.

1 Like
RenatoCocopreta -
Cuckoldberry Finn - 

Not entirely true. Most audiophiles consider car audio a waste of time, theyre two totally different markets.

it is entirely true and your point about two totally different markets makes no sense.

just because some audiophiles consider home audio a waste of time doesn’t mean that most car audio people consider home audio a waste of time.

I described the flow from car audio to home audio and you implied that because the inverse isn’t true that I’m telling a lie? 

do better

1 Like
RenatoCocopreta - Most younger audiophiles are into mobile devices on the go, and small dacs and amplifiers for headphones at home.

That audiophile segment is booming, just cheack out the forums at head-fi, or whats available on Drop.

As far as stereo components, big speaker system and whatnot, thats mostly boomers and genX-er territory.

It’s also interesting that the vinyl resurgence seems to be creating a resurgence of interest in audio.

Vinyl is big with the younger generations (bigger than with older, who wonder why anyone would still want to listen to records). So you have many people who had been used to listening to music through earbuds or their laptop, having to buy a turntable, speakers etc. And once they are in to that some start thinking of upgrading over time to better equipment.

You can see this in the reddit vinyl forums all the time.

I ditched LPs for CDs early on and was almost all digital sources for decades, but I got hooked back in to vinyl several years ago. I’m having a ball and it re-vitalized my enthusiasm for music and having a collection.

i know nothing about this subject but i m posting anyhow

Had to walk away when I started working on the other side of it; too much hucksterism, magical thinking, & outright bullshit.

BarkLikeADog - Had to walk away when I started working on the other side of it; too much hucksterism, magical thinking, & outright bullshit.

Absolutely. For the rationalist, high end audio is a woo-woo bunch of land mines to navigate.

But, I still get a big kick out of it and try not to fall for the crazy stuff.

prof - 
BarkLikeADog - Had to walk away when I started working on the other side of it; too much hucksterism, magical thinking, & outright bullshit.

Absolutely. For the rationalist, high end audio is a woo-woo bunch of land mines to navigate.

But, I still get a big kick out of it and try not to fall for the crazy stuff.

Are telling me my 50k interconnects don’t really do anything. I can’t imagine the people spending that much on cables that make at most a .001% difference compared standard cables

Once upon a time I cared enough to have a mid-fi stereo setup in the house, but frankly with the convenience and portability of streaming to any number of affordable smart speakers and mobile devices sorta undercuts spending significant $$$ for a static setup. Home theater audio makes more sense because you can at least reliably predict utilizing it. Listening habits for music have changed though. 

I am curious though with this crowd, what are the trends now for streaming music throughout several rooms in the house, as improvements over the Sonos/Echo setups everyone uses these days. (That don’t sacrifice portability and ease of use) I wouldn’t even say “hi-fi” but what are the popular next steps up? 

Any of you into turntables/vinyl?

Ocelot_4L - 

Any of you into turntables/vinyl?

Yes, see my earlier post.