AUSSIE NEEDING HELP RE. BBQ VACATION ROUND AMERICA

G'day fellow BBQ fans and OG'ers

I've been a big advocate of the slow smoked meat variety for quite some time, and after a long period of contemplation and forming ideas, I've decided to start up my own BBQ food business here in Australia.

So I have decided the best way to start is head to the where it all began to learn how its done by the pro's. I will be coming to the USA in August, so far I've done a fair bit of research and have a good idea of the places I want to visit, but i thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has recommendations of the best places to go and/or if you know of anyone that could spare some time while I'm there to share their knowledge over a few beers, even better.

I also Trane, and would like to hear of any recommendations for good gyms to visit for a roll while i am traveling.

I could really use some advice on the best route to travel. I really want to fit in the best BBQ that America has to offer. I am flying into Dallas, Texas on the 1st of august then flying out of New York on the 31st. I figured i'd hire a car and make my own way around.

Cheers.

I posted on your other thread.

Memphis might be a better starting point than TX. Just be careful with the crime. Be sure to find a nice part to stay in, as Memphis is a crime filled shit hole.

Let me know if you end up in Houston, Texas. I'll hook you up with some of the brisket I smoke, and the sauce that I make from the meat juices.

Here is my smoker with about 110 pounds of brisket on it.
 photo DSC_0006.jpg

Slicing some

photo DSC_0001-1.jpg

Making the sauce

photo DSC_0002.jpg

No reason to go to TX. Nothin but steers and queers Phone Post 3.0

iant - No reason to go to TX. Nothin but steers and queers Phone Post 3.0

No steers where you are??

make sure you hit a variety of places. there are different styles of BBQ between for instance TX and Carolinas.

One of the coolest things about BBQ in America is that's it's different every where. Even in North Carolina there are two main varieties. There is also a South Carolina variety. In most of the South, BBQ is some kind of pork, but in Texas, it's mostly beef.

This link has 10 of the best places in North Carolina and some info on each one of them. It's cool if you are really wanting to read up on the restaurant aspect of it. 

http://www.ourstate.com/barbecue-kings/

I'm from here, so I'm partial to it, but also love Memphis and Texas barbeque. They are all just different.

Billy Yank - I lived in GA for years, and I am a staunch advocate of GA barbecue, but...

The people who said Memphis are right. Memphis has great barbecue and they have world class representations of southern, western, and Midwestern barbecue styles.

The big regional differences are:

Texas prefers beef, the southeast prefers pork.

Texas and environs use a tomato-based sauce. Georgia traditionally uses a mustard-based sauce, and the Carolinas use a vinegar base.

If you have the Time and money, visit Memphis, Austin, Atlanta or Macon, GA, and Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham, NC.

Of course the best places are usually in out of the way little towns outside of the cities, but locals can tell you where to go specifically. You can stay in acuity and use it as a base for local travel. All of those cities have fairly dangerous bad areas, but if you stay in a chain hotel you will avoid those just fine, and in all cases you can see when you are staring to get near the ghetto.

The keys to barbecue are indirect heat, the right wood for smoking, good quality meat with enough fat to keep it moist, patience enough to leave it alone and let it smoke, and good cutting and handling of the finished product. Phone Post 3.0

I agree with all of this except for visiting Charlotte, NC - unfortunately, we don't have a truly great BBQ place here. This is what I suggest for a good taste of North Carolina if you are starting in Texas and moving east:

1. Bridges Barbeque Lodge - Shelby, NC

2. Lexington Barbecue - Lexington, NC

3. Stamey's - Greensboro, NC

4. Allen & Son Barbeque - Chapel Hill, NC

5. The Pit - Raleigh, NC

If you don't have time for all 5, make sure you hit Lexington Barbecue, Stamey's, and The Pit.

I'm jealous of your trip. I would love to eat my way from Texas through the southeast.

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/

Big Bob Gibsons in Decatur, AL has won numerous awards and his been featured on the food network.

Why the outbound flight from NY? you will not generally find good barbecue in New England

So basically, you need to spend about a week in Texas, roll up to KC for a few days, travel down to Memphis and spend another week, then hit up Alabama and Georgia (though I don't know all of the places there). Follow that up North Carolina for about 5 days and you will have some time left for Virginia and your last trip to NYC.

Bring some elastic waist band pants.

BBQ = pork

Sorry, Texas

I understand you're Aussie so you have a good concept of the immense distances we're talking here but I'll just point this out anyway.

Houston to Charlotte is over 1k miles

that's about double the distance from Sydny to Brisbane so taking a road tour of the south you will be spending a lot of time in the car.

Only thing that I'll add is that you have to try some white bbq sauce. That stuff is amazing.

yeah if your just doing it for BBQ Id cut out driving all the way up to NY

chaplinshouse, let me know if you are ever down this way ;-)

Ahren, I still owe you for letting my know my Saigo 308 was not 922r compliant with the 25rd mag! If you hadn't sent me a note on that, I might be "married" to somebody in the federal pen... It is now legally converted - so all the brisket you can eat, too, if you are ever out here!

gregbrady - I understand you're Aussie so you have a good concept of the immense distances we're talking here but I'll just point this out anyway.

Houston to Charlotte is over 1k miles

that's about double the distance from Sydny to Brisbane so taking a road tour of the south you will be spending a lot of time in the car.

Yeah thanks greg, my plans are still in very early stages and i do realise there's a hell of a lot miles to cover. I was just thinking it would be the best way to see everything.

Ive been thinking of splitting the trip into two parts with two weeks in TX and then fly to New York, hire a car and drive down to NC.

i will never forget when i was a kid and my family drove through Amarillo Texas. we had some bbq ribs, and to this day they were the best ribs i have ever had.

are the cheapest flights to NY or do you want to see it for some other reason? NY to Charlotte is over 600 miles. I would try and get a flight to Atlanta