Authentic Sambo In NYC?

What you say is true in that tournament sambo is won with throws, then armlocks, then leglocks.

However, some sambists specialize in leglocks as their strategy, just find one of them...

If the schools you are phoning up are saying that they teach judo, not sambo, but are 'Russian', go and look...there is a good chance that they are teaching a hybrid and using judo gis, comp., etc. because judo equip and comp. is easy to find.

it is strange how jkdboxing only has negative things to say about judo/sambo and yet still visits this Q&A...

"The Arsenal teaches Judo, and Greco. I have a good feeling it is mob owned"

btw, without knowing for sure, I don't see why that should stop you...mob owned places would be pretty hardcore in their judo anyway and would probably teach leglocks =)

I've been to The Arsenal four times. Their Judo and Wrestling classes had about 3 students in them. The place is extremely beautiful, yet it stays open when you never see more than 5 people working out there at a time (possibly a front for other business). About the mob allegations, I was told this by two different friends who are Russian, actually one is from Belarus, but close enough. I also happen to work for US Immigration so if anything happened to the place it would not look good if I was a member.

Also in order to do any classes they offer, you must join the gym, which is like $700 a year.

Jkdboxing- Renzo's school is a fantastic place but $145 a month for 2x a week is a little steep.

The instructor at Chaus seems to know his stuff and looks like a very good teacher, but they never go live. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I like a competitive atmosphere.

Mr. Sonnon do you have any recomendations?

I once called Mr. Polnayakoff (sp?). He gave me the name of Lazar Ryakhshtath. I visited Mr. ryakhshtath's school and it was just a kids class, there were no adults training there.

Are there any good Sambo practicioners who teach
in the NYC area? Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan?

Alot of the the Schools listed on the the locater
are actually judo schools or are primarily made
upof kids. I would really like to learn leg locks
at an affordable price.

Igor Zinoviev is in that area and teaches judo (I hear), but I'm sure he knows leglocks...