AVG antivirus will soon sell your browsing history

AVG Proudly Announces It Will Sell Your Browsing History to Online Advertisers

Start searching now...

Only non-personal details will be sold, AVG claims
AVG, the Czech antivirus company, has announced a new privacy policy in which it boldly and openly admits it will collect user details and sell them to online advertisers for the purpose of continuing to fund its freemium-based products.

This new privacy policy is slated to come into effect starting October 15, and the company has published a blog post explaining the decision to go this route, along with the full privacy policy's content, so users can read it in advance and decide on their own if they want to use its services or not.

This is what AVG claims it will collect from users for the purpose of selling to interested parties, mainly online advertisers.

"We collect non-personal data to make money from our free offerings so we can keep them free, including:

- Advertising ID associated with your device;

- Browsing and search history, including meta data;

- Internet service provider or mobile network you use to connect to our products; and

- Information regarding other applications you may have on your device and how they are used."

Because "free" is only "free" for users

AVG has mentioned that it will not sell personal data like name, emails, addresses, or credit card details, but that these might sometimes leak inside the browsing history.

When this happens, the company claims it will take precautionary measures to filter out personal details from the browsing history before selling it.

AVG also adds that personal, identifiable information like addresses, age, or IPs, even if not sold, may sometimes be shared with collaborators.

This seems to be a provision put in place to allow user data to be used for statistical and research purposes, and the company has stated that data will never be bundled together, only aggregated. This means that only emails would be put together in the same batch, never attached to any name, username, or other personal data.

AVG has a new privacy policy page
AVG has a new privacy policy page

http://news.softpedia.com/news/avg-proudly-announces-it-will-sell-your-browsing-history-to-online-advertisers-492146.shtml

If you have AVG I suggest you uninstall immediately

But Microsoft does it and it's fine? Phone Post 3.0

Switched to Avast a while back.. Fuck AVG if true. Phone Post 3.0

Hammerstein - 
AlbertEinstein - But Microsoft does it and it's fine? Phone Post 3.0

Uh, no. Other than you, what idiot said that?

lol a buddy of mine is super pro Microsoft.  They can do no wrong in his eyes.  And he absolutely detests Google for their spying practices.  He calls Windows 10 the greatest thing ever.  When I bring up their spyware in 10, he pulls the old line of "Who cares, I have nothing to hide".

I don't see the problem. The freeware program has to be funded, so if you want it for free, this is the price you pay.

At least they're honest Phone Post 3.0

Kapersky is the only one worth getting for your computer

Hammerstein -
AlbertEinstein - But Microsoft does it and it's fine? Phone Post 3.0

Uh, no. Other than you, what idiot said that?
Uh, everybody using windows 10 and really any version of windows post XP probably. Phone Post 3.0

Jack Carter - I don't see the problem. The freeware program has to be funded, so if you want it for free, this is the price you pay.

At least they're honest Phone Post 3.0

i agree that i appreciate that they are upfront about it.

i switch to avast a while ago. i highly suggest if you have AVG you switch to something else

SELL OUT!

AVG sold out like every other good free program that gets popular enough.

I don't use AVG, but I have a few friends who do. I'll let them know about this. Thanks for posting it

I have had AVG only for many years.

What else is out there these days?

Something that is free and doesn't fuck things up like many did in the past. Phone Post 3.0

AVG slowed google chrome to a crawllllllll, uninstalled that piece of shit earlier this year.

Hey AVG, get fucked.

in Phone Post 3.0

Anything else that's free protection for Mac? Phone Post 3.0

Scary trend developing lately.

CDarwin - I have had AVG only for many years.

What else is out there these days?

Something that is free and doesn't fuck things up like many did in the past. Phone Post 3.0

???

Stache - Scary trend developing lately.

Agree. I think most people could/should resist at least a bit. Don't upgrade to Wndows 10 until they at least toned the 1984 thing down a notch or two. Don't log into Google/Chrome as default. Uninstall AVG and switch to something else when they start with this shit, etc.

It won't take you off the grid, obviously, but this BS needs to be less profitable than it is.

avg has been shitware for years now. there was a time years back when avg was the boss. it was free and it was the best. those are long past. avg is a slow bloated pile of shit now and has been for a while..
avg is no better than crappy ass nortons or mcafee . this is just one more reason nobody should be using tehre shitware

LOL. As soon as I clicked on this thread I got an update message from AVG. I, for one, welcome our new Czech overlords. Phone Post 3.0