Babe Ruth would be a Billion dollar player

So, Giancarlo Stanton's contract has me wondering: What would Babe Ruth be worth today?

In his piece for ESPN Insider, Dan Szymborski projected Stanton will be worth $316 million from ages 25 to 37, just shy of the $325 million he'll be getting.

Jeff Sullivan conducted a related study on FanGraphs, comparing Stanton to similar hitters through age 24 and then asking: How would a 13-year contract for those players have worked out in today's dollars?

Jeff looked at the value of the deals under the cost of $6 million per WAR and $7 million per WAR. Henry Aaron was the best comparable player and was valued at $776 million from ages 25 to 37 under the $6 million context. Alex Rodriguez, Frank Robinson, Miguel Cabrera, Mickey Mantle and Albert Pujols also topped $500 million of value. Heck, even Will Clark came in at $308 million. Boog Powell topped $200 million. BOOG POWELL! Who never made an All-Star team in his 30s and was basically done at 33.

Hmm.

OK ... if Will Clark was worth $300 million, what about Babe Ruth? I mean, no offense to Will Clark. Ruth wasn't in Jeff's study. What would the Bambino be worth today?

I combined Dan's system with Jeff's system. I assumed each win above replacement was worth $6 million with 5 percent annual growth. I then plugged in Ruth's year-by-year WAR from Baseball-Reference to get a value for each season. Here's what we get at each age:

25: 11.9 WAR ($71.4 million)
26: 12.9 WAR ($81.3 million)
27: 6.3 WAR ($41.7 million)
28: 14.1 WAR ($97.9 million)
29: 11.7 WAR ($85.3 million)
30: 3.5 WAR ($26.8 million)
31: 11.5 WAR ($92.5 million)
32: 12.4 WAR ($104.7 million)
33: 10.1 WAR ($89.5 million)
34: 8.0 WAR ($74.5 million)
35: 10.3 WAR (100.7 million)
36: 10.3 WAR ($105.7 million)
37: 8.3 WAR ($89.4 million)

Holy ... that's $1.06 billion of value. Babe Ruth, the billion-dollar ballplayer.

Isn't that just based on his hitting?

Up until he got acquired by the Yankees, Bambino was a pitcher. And reportedly he was GOOD.

The Babe in the NL would be worth much more. Phone Post 3.0

Babe is GOAT

phydeau - Isn't that just based on his hitting?

Up until he got acquired by the Yankees, Bambino was a pitcher. And reportedly he was GOOD.
Pitcher if the decade and two time 20 game winner. Held World Series
Pitches records; he's still like 3rd in lowest ERA in the series. Went 13-7 one year and led the majors in HR's.

How much would a guy make today if he was hitting more home runs than entire TEAMS today? Assfulls of it.....Kim Kardashian assfulls. Phone Post 3.0

You cant just take the #s though.

You have to factor EVERYTHING imo.

Would he put up the same #s with jetlag???

What about sprecialized relievers that werent really used back then?

IMO, with as little self control he had, no he wouldnt be worth that contract.

God knows how many paternity suits and domestic assualts he would be accused of by women lookin to cash in by setting him up.

Honestly, the guy would be on TMZ every fucking day.

The media is also different than it was 85-90 years ago.

EVERYTHING he would say and do would be scrutinzied.

All that shit would factor in!

that's why he's the GOAT Phone Post 3.0

Regarding Will Clark.

Would he get that contract now if Jeffrey Leonard accused him of being a racist and it made all the media outlets?

Yes. Because that 4 hour flight would wear him out but that 9 hour train ride from new York to Detroit did nothing. Phone Post 3.0

MusclesMarinara -

God knows how many paternity suits and domestic assualts he would be accused of by women lookin to cash in by setting him up.

Yeah other things would factor in as well. He would have all the modern luxuries, better science, steroids, world class nutrition. The more I think about it the better I see that he would be. Phone Post 3.0

Dirty Dick Slater - Yes. Because that 4 hour flight would wear him out but that 9 hour train ride from new York to Detroit did nothing. Phone Post 3.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

You obviously have never heard of it, so take a gander.

Wuuld you care to weigh in on his extremely poor level of self control with food, women, and alcohol or would those have no factor in the type of contract he receives???

MusclesMarinara -

Dude was on a bender every night and was still jacking 450+ foot bombs.

I think he'd be fine. Phone Post 3.0

The Colossus of Clout.

The Colossus of Clout. Phone Post 3.0

MusclesMarinara - 
Dirty Dick Slater - Yes. Because that 4 hour flight would wear him out but that 9 hour train ride from new York to Detroit did nothing. Phone Post 3.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

You obviously have never heard of it, so take a gander.

Wuuld you care to weigh in on his extremely poor level of self control with food, women, and alcohol or would those have no factor in the type of contract he receives???

Go sit on a train for 9 hours in the 1920's with no ac and then get back to me with your jet lag

Samoa - 
MusclesMarinara -

Yeah other things would factor in as well. He would have all the modern luxuries, better science, steroids, world class nutrition. The more I think about it the better I see that he would be. Phone Post 3.0

He would absolutely have access to all those things. But society doesnt just change the good things.

At the heart of it, tons of athletes have the very things you referenced and still have issues relating to the stuff I referenced (drugs, alcohol, women, etc).

Take a guy like Floyd Mayweather. Has millions and millions of $ and access to the finest trainers and such that is around. And he still cant control himself with women. People at the root of it are who they are.

Personally I think the babe would be no different. He would be hitting up every slat on tinder and who knows how many of his cock pics would be released online. Or how many illegitimate kids he would have. Or how many speeding tickets or DUIs he would have.

Just my opinion.

" He would be hitting up every slat on tinder and who knows how many of his cock pics would be released online. Or how many illegitimate kids he would have. Or how many speeding tickets or DUIs he would have."

And he would wake up the next day, pitch 8 strong giving up one run on four hits AND go 3-4 with two doubles, a HR, and four RBI's. Phone Post 3.0

MusclesMarinara -
Samoa - 
MusclesMarinara -

He would absolutely have access to all those things. But society doesnt just change the good things.

At the heart of it, tons of athletes have the very things you referenced and still have issues relating to the stuff I referenced (drugs, alcohol, women, etc).

Take a guy like Floyd Mayweather. Has millions and millions of $ and access to the finest trainers and such that is around. And he still cant control himself with women. People at the root of it are who they are.

Personally I think the babe would be no different. He would be hitting up every slat on tinder and who knows how many of his cock pics would be released online. Or how many illegitimate kids he would have. Or how many speeding tickets or DUIs he would have.

Just my opinion.

Or he would just have a harem like tons of athletes do. Phone Post 3.0

AdulterousZucchini - Baseball was really the only national sport of significant interest in that day, right? Other than boxing, maybe? Football wouldnt be popular for another 20 or 30 years and Basketball until the second half of the century, right? I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about and am just assuming, btw. Any actually facts/corrections would be very interesting
I would wager that several Olympic sports were much more popular at that time than pro football or basketball.

College football has always been very popular.

I bet golf and tennis were more popular. Phone Post 3.0

martinburke - Anybody who's interested should check out Bill Jenkinson's book on Ruth. Don't let the title put you off; that was done by the publisher over the protests of the author.

amazing book. Loved it

Perhaps he would OP, but he would undoubtedly get busted for performance enhancers.

Have you seen the old footage? His legs are cranking faster than an Evanrude as he's rounding those bases.

No way he's clean. Gotta at least be on greenies. Phone Post 3.0