Babe Ruth would be a Billion dollar player

When Babe Ruth played, baseball was far and away the most popular team sport. Baseball, Boxing and horse racing were the big three for sports until roughly the middle of the 20th century. College football definitely had a big following but NFL did not start to catch on as a major sport anything like it is today until the 1950s. Before Bird and Magic in the 1980s, the NBA championship was shown on tape delay late at night.

The only athlete of Ruth's era to enjoy the same kind of popularity he did with sports fans was Jack Dempsey. You could argue that Dempsey was bigger that Ruth at times in the first half of the 1920s.

He never faced black guys and Latinos.

PatK -

He did and when he did he achieved at a higher rate than he did in "MLB". Phone Post 3.0

Samoa - 
PatK -

He did and when he did he achieved at a higher rate than he did in "MLB". Phone Post 3.0

IIRC it was something like 60 ABs during exhibition games.

I dont think anyone is denying his greatness.

I just think more goes into it than taking his stats from 80 years ago and transferring them to today without adding any other variables that could enhance or decrease his stats.

MusclesMarinara -
Samoa - 
PatK -

I just think more goes into it than taking his stats from 80 years ago and transferring them to today without adding any other variables that could enhance or decrease his stats.

That's why you can't compare eras IMO. You can only gauge how they performed within their era. Phone Post 3.0

"That's why you can't compare eras IMO. You can only gauge how they performed within their era."

Fully agree with this!

Wins above Replacement is not a metric for taking stats from 80 years ago and comparing them to the stats of today. It's a tool for comparing players within their own era to their contemporaries.

Samoa - 
MusclesMarinara -
Samoa - 
PatK -

That's why you can't compare eras IMO. You can only gauge how they performed within their era. Phone Post 3.0

I tend to agree

Arguments can be made that Ruth would be more dominant today (better nutrition, training, etc) or less dominant (playing against top black/Latino/Asian players consistently, facing specialized pitchers, probably wouldn't be allowed to be a filthy drunk, etc)...impossible to guess

I wonder what David Schoenfield would have to say on this matter?

The premise of the OP wasn't even whether or not Babe Ruth would dominate today and if he would be worth more money because of it. Really, what the entire exercise is looking at is 1. Determining how much Wins above Replacement is worth in today's market and then 2. Looking at how much great players from other eras would make under that market, based on their own WAR. Agreed, you obviously can't say Babe Ruth would have the same WAR today that he had in his era.

My own opinion is that superstars would have the ability to be superstars in any era.

BABE RUTH WAS A SCAM PERPETRATED BY THE GOVERNMENT TO GIVE THE PEOPLE A NEEDED DISTRACTION.