Back ache...

This might not be 100% the right place for this, but this is where a lot of guys with knowledge hang out!

Just  recently I've been getting a constant ache in the central to upper part of my back, mostly on the left side.

It's not from my lifting I don't think, as that would likely be more lower back and I've worked with a strength coach in the past who says my form is fine.

I try cracking it, but you can't really get that area and it feels more muscular, but I could be wrong.

I do work in an office all day, sat in front of a computer. Oh, and it seems to get a little bit worse when I sleep in my girlfriend's bed (memory foam mattress) as opposed to my own (harder mattress) but it's worst when I sleep on my front with my arm under the pillow, so now I have to consciously try and sleep on my back or side.

I pretty much lift or run on a morning pre-work, then train MMA/various disciplines in the evening.

Anybody had this kind of thing (I'm sure someone will have) and found any cures? Could it be simply bad posture? It's not painful as such, just annoying as shit.

If you sleep with your arms above your head you can get pains in your back below your shoulder and numbness in your pinky and ring finger. Just saying. I had problems with that and had to stop sleeping with my arms above my head. Phone Post

May or may not be a trigger point in your infraspinatus muscle.

"I do work in an office all day, sat in front of a computer"

Same here, the typical sitting, rounded shoulders, forward head posture is the perfect breeding ground for these fuckers.

Lacrosse ball the piss out of your scapula and see if that gives you some relief. If it is a trigger point, you have to break it up with some form of tissue quality work:

foam roll

lacrosse/tennis ball

massage

If that does nothing for you, go to the doctor and have it checked out.

Czav -  If you sleep with your arms above your head you can get pains in your back below your shoulder and numbness in your pinky and ring finger. Just saying. I had problems with that and had to stop sleeping with my arms above my head. Phone Post

Yeah, I did. But I've stopped recently because of this!

slayer806 - May or may not be a trigger point in your infraspinatus muscle.

"I do work in an office all day, sat in front of a computer"

Same here, the typical sitting, rounded shoulders, forward head posture is the perfect breeding ground for these fuckers.

Lacrosse ball the piss out of your scapula and see if that gives you some relief. If it is a trigger point, you have to break it up with some form of tissue quality work:

foam roll

lacrosse/tennis ball

massage

If that does nothing for you, go to the doctor and have it checked out.
Thanks mate. I've got a foam roller but I'm not sure where I'd acquire a lacrosses ball in the UK without having to pay stupid shipping charges. How hard is it? I'll try find something similar. I try to sit without hunching and rounding my shoulders, but after a while you realise you're back in that same old position.

Cricket ball, tennis ball or anything around those sizes and density would work... Phone Post

Cheers dude, although there's quite a difference in density between a cricket ball and a tennis ball haha! I'll try a tennis ball first as I think I've got one lying around.

It would definitely be worth grabbing a massage.  I agree with the lacrosse/cricket ball as well.  Tennis ball might be too soft.

You could also have tight pecs and traps, pulling shoulders forward. Hiw ofter do you stretch these out?Try pec and traps stretches for a month Phone Post

Thanks mate. I've got a foam roller but I'm not sure where I'd acquire a lacrosses ball in the UK without having to pay stupid shipping charges. How hard is it? I'll try find something similar. I try to sit without hunching and rounding my shoulders, but after a while you realise you're back in that same old position.

if your using the foam roller, cross ur arms over your chest to pull the scapulas forward and get a better roll

Thanks mate, I'll also try the pec and trap stretches.

Probably a knot. I've got a brutal one in my upper back on the right side, have had it for about four days now. Just a constant ache. I've been rolling it out with a foam roller, but I think I need to get a tennis ball or lax ball to really pinpoint the knot.

Sly fox had some good advice...another thing to do is to place your palms and your elbows together (so your forearms are touching) above your chest. Then you can really get in there with the roller.

I definitely echo the advice others have given in terms of the soft tissue work. But don't just do the soft tissue work, supplement it with some thoracic extension and rotation mobility drills. The soft tissue work is 1/2 the solution; to get the best and full benefits, you have to work the tissues and surrounding joints through the proper ROM to reenforce the proper positioning and tissue length.

Also, from the location you described and the prolonged sitting at a desk/computer, there maybe an associated rib articulation issue that is causing the pain. Tight pecs, scalenes, etc all pull the shoulders and head forwards, which then adds additional stress to the thoracic spine and rib articulation.

Haven't had a chance to get a smaller ball to really get in there yet, but hopefully I can grab one today and give it a roll before training.

I've been using my foam roller and stretching to not much avail, but i will persist and hopefully not have to fork out for a sports massage! I'm going to Oz in 6 weeks and could do with saving my brass :)