Back in BJJ and my feet....

My feet are getting all scuffed on the tops and knuckles of my toes. I'm trying to go five days a week but I don't want to keep bleeding all over my partners and the mat – not the best look for being the new guy to being a bleeder and interrupting to disinfect the mat.  

It took me a month to build up callouses on my skin, but I wasn't training as frequently as I planning on doing now. 

Trying liquid bandaid to see if that works tomorrow's morning session. Any tips?

Band aids and tape, or bandages and tape depending on where the mat burns are. Or take a few days off.

1 Like

Soak them in a epsom salt bath. 

Or pee on them in the shower. 

1 Like
King Trav -

Or pee on them in the shower. 

I do that

5 times a week?  Way to go killer!  You must be a 20 something yes?

BringBackHeadbutts -

Jwider - 
BringBackHeadbutts -

Embrace it!  Your recovery and energy will not be the same as you get older lol.

Keep us updated and good luck man!

3 Likes

LOLOLOLL yupppp. I give everyone a talk about that when they start :-)

slow down on the mat

think before you move

dont just react

BigEyedFish -

slow down on the mat

think before you move

dont just react

Very true. Definitely trying this approach. It's been a little tough because my partners are bigger wrestling based guys who are very much go go go. 

Jwider - 
BigEyedFish -

slow down on the mat

think before you move

dont just react

Very true. Definitely trying this approach. It's been a little tough because my partners are bigger wrestling based guys who are very much go go go. 

man I get it.  Its so much easier said than done but its the only way (that and just showing up and making that skin tougher).  When I moved to Japan I was a very good blue belt already.  Walked into the Kodokan and was so nervous and out of my element...the first few months i had no skin on the tops of my feet.  It was because I was so busy reacting to my opponents.  I see it in my academy now, all the noobs have tons of tape on their feet.  Can they resist what the higher belts are making them do?  Probably not.  But try to stay with the right training partners.  Pairing up with other newer or white belt partners is a spaz fest.  Try to stick with higher levels who arent focused on beating you.  The tempo will be better and your feet will thank you. Hang in there. 

1 Like

tape them.

1 Like

wrestling shoes. Yeah you’ll get some jokes about it but there’s always one or two guys at every gym that wear em’.

…and watch for foot locks.

The liquid bandaid and this cream colored tape I found at CVS seemed to do the trick. This morning was way less spazzy so there weren't too many explosive movements like the 10am on MWF.

Athletic tape didn't hold up too well when I tried it and ended up distracting the shit out of me. 

I'll share some feet pics for you pervs later

hermanitor - wrestling shoes. Yeah you'll get some jokes about it but there's always one or two guys at every gym that wear em'.

…and watch for foot locks.

might as well advise wearing my little pony socks

1 Like
BigEyedFish - 

slow down on the mat

think before you move

dont just react

First thing I thought of.  Most likely a spazz of a white belt.

Part of the reason I love catch. We wear shoes. Also when you compete without shoes everything is easier to get out of leg wise. Leg locks, single leg takedowns ect.

What type of mats are you training on? When I go to judo my feet don't get scuffed up due to quality tatami. When I go to open mat at a bjj place I always tape my feet in a few places to prevent the crappy puzzle mats from destroying my feet.

Happiness Bunny -

Part of the reason I love catch. We wear shoes. Also when you compete without shoes everything is easier to get out of leg wise. Leg locks, single leg takedowns ect.

What type of mats are you training on? When I go to judo my feet don't get scuffed up due to quality tatami. When I go to open mat at a bjj place I always tape my feet in a few places to prevent the crappy puzzle mats from destroying my feet.

This gym has some nice ass zebra mats. I've trained on those bullshit puzzle mats before when I was training for an MMA fight. I can't image what my feet would look like if this gym had those. Not to mention getting a toe caught in a missing puzzle tooth (because there's always a missing puzzle tooth). Very lucky in that aspect.