Back pain - how long before heading to a doctor?

So I started to trane UFC for the first time in over 2 years about 2 months ago. About 1 month ago, when I was running for warm-ups I had a random spike of pain down my back. The intense pain only lasted for a split second, and lingered at about a 4 for the next two hours of class.

Anyway, this was a month ago. Now, usually when I'm sitting for extended periods of time (which is often since I'm in class), or when I'm sleeping, or just at random times throughout the day, I'll just get some lingering annoying pain in my back. Nothing too bad, only like a 2-3. I'll also get random spikes when I move in certain directions, but nothing too bad.

So yeah, this is nothing debilitating and I can deal with the pain, but I'm not trying to fuck with my back and deal with chronic back pain for the rest of my life since I'm still young. I'm still traning although I have slowed it down a bit. Also stretching my back a lot more but it hasn't helped.

Should I go to the doctor now, or wait it out a bit longer? Sorry for the frat bros, and thanks in advance.

As someone who has suffered from back pain for almost 20 years now.

Go to the fucking doctor now.

I've been having lower back pain a lot recently as well. I'm 21 years old too so it fucking sucks. Phone Post

why wait and hope it gets better, docs brah! Phone Post

I put mine off as well. I've had two back surgeries in a year. Go to the dr. Phone Post

Ridgeback - 

Going to a doctor is not a neutral act.  You can potentially cause yourself more danger and pain by entering into that system.  Choose carefully.  If you can live with something it is almost always best to do so.  

Recent studies showed that most people are not helped by back surgery and many of them have worse pain after the surgery.  

And he can also cause himself more danger and pain by ignoring the little aches and pains.

You're being a little alarmist. The problem these days is that they too often prescribe pain killers when they aren't needed, expensive tests that aren't needed, or surgery that isn't needed.

You probably just need some anti-inflammatories and some physical therapy or stretching exercise at most

Don't get on painkillers unless you have done yoga and advil for a few weeks. Yoga literally cured my back pain.

I have more of a steady uncomfortable feeling right where my spine meets my pelvis. It cracks a lot when I do mobility exercises for that area but yoga really works wonders on it.

I'm assuming it's just the usual shit from squatting/deadlifting heavy, anyone else have the same thing?

Ride that Vicodin pony! Phone Post 3.0

Go to the doc, get prescription for physical therapy, do physical therapy, profit

Mattapooh - I have more of a steady uncomfortable feeling right where my spine meets my pelvis. It cracks a lot when I do mobility exercises for that area but yoga really works wonders on it.

I'm assuming it's just the usual shit from squatting/deadlifting heavy, anyone else have the same thing?

I have a similar dull ache

I fucked my back up about 2 years ago deadlifting, so I'm pretty sure it's related to that + my having a desk job

I do a lot of core work, back stretching, etc, and I'm able to lift, workout, etc...doesn't really affect me other than being mildly uncomfortable

dizz - 
Mattapooh - I have more of a steady uncomfortable feeling right where my spine meets my pelvis. It cracks a lot when I do mobility exercises for that area but yoga really works wonders on it.

I have a similar dull ache

I fucked my back up about 2 years ago deadlifting, so I'm pretty sure it's related to that + my having a desk job

I do a lot of core work, back stretching, etc, and I'm able to lift, workout, etc...doesn't really affect me other than being mildly uncomfortable

Same, I just make sure to do yoga on off days and really focus on tightening up my core when I'm lifting. Still, three days a week of heavy squats is adding up, I think.

Also, inversion table Phone Post

If your pain is 2-3ish, I say you might want to fix this on your own.

I had a decade or two with a messed up back. Now I'm 46 and I'm good as new. No surgery etc.

I think yoga is a lot like self-chiropracting. it mechanically creates more space between joints, muscles, etc to relieve physical pressure on nerves. And it also requires/promotes deep, fluid breathing which helps oxygenate tight or traumatised areas that weren't getting as much oxygen as they could. Without it, I would be on pain meds. I would imagine that inversion tables/boots do similar good in creating physical space within your body, but lacks any of the core strengthening or breathing benefits. It's just always a good idea to try something healthy that doesn't involve drugs or surgery first.

Yeah, I assumed that yoga was about moving synovial fluid around as well as decompressing the spine. Oh well.

Try accupuncture or a massage Phone Post

PatK - As someone who has suffered from back pain for almost 20 years now.

Go to the fucking doctor now.

This

Then have him refer you to a GOOD PT, who can show you some methods to strengthen & save your back.

Do it Phone Post

Im going on five years with sporadic back pain after I fucked it up at work. I still havent seen a dr. But it hasnt been worse than a 5 since the first month so itll probably just heal on its own right? Phone Post

Have someone give you the camel clutch, and then the Boston crab.