Bale Explains the Ending of the Dark Knight

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/12/christian-bale-explains-the-ending-of-the-dark-knight-rises/

HOLY Ctrl+C BATMAN! :

We didn't think the ending of The Dark Knight Rises was ambiguous, but since it's a Christopher Nolan movie, some people interpret it as only Alfred's dream Inception BWOM. The script made a big to-do about Lucius Fox saying the Batwing's autopilot was broken, leaving us to momentarily believe Bruce Wayne was in the Batwing when it exploded. (Some days, you just can't get rid of Bane's bomb.) So when Alfred sees Bruce and Selina Kyle at a cafe in Italy, similar to the dream he described earlier in the movie, some people interpreted that as something Alfred only imagined. Now Christian Bale has cleared things up.

Entertainment Weekly asked Bale about this scene, and he didn't hesitate to help out those confused by what was probably the least confusing thing about The Dark Knight Rises.

"[Alfred] was content with me being alive and left because that was the life he always wanted for him. I find it very interesting and with most films, I tend to say 'It's what the audience thinks it is.' My personal opinion? No, it was not a dream. That was for real and he was just delighted that finally he had freed himself from the privilege, but ultimately the burden, of being Bruce Wayne." [transcribed by /film]

We're inclined to agree. Why would there be a trilogy with one of the the most realistic mainstream depictions of a superhero, only to cap off the whole thing with a dream sequence presented as reality? Unless... oh my God. What if Bruce Wayne never became Batman and it was a dream he was having during a meeting the whole time? BWOM

Didn't Batman have at least 2 weeks of prep time to figure out what to do with the bomb?

He even had more than two weeks to figure out how to fix the broken autopilot of the Batwing. That guy's always prepared so it's safe to assume that he fixed that in anticipation of future problems.

Batman even planned out for Robin to have access to the Wayne Manor after he left. Batman had his shit together. I don't know why that isn't obvious to all movie watchers.

Batman always wins.

Isn't that pretty straight forward?

At the end didn't they discover the auto pilot or whatever was fixed by Bruce Wayne? Phone Post 3.0

True. I didn't realize there was a huge controversy over the ending anyway?

The ending reveals that Alfred is actually Bruce Wayne, and Bruce Wayne is Alfred. Bet you didn't know that huh?

The curious thing I find is why couldn't Bruce Wayne find someone hotter than Anne Hathaway to settle down with?

GaspareBJJ - Isn't that pretty straight forward?

At the end didn't they discover the auto pilot or whatever was fixed by Bruce Wayne? Phone Post 3.0
This.

The ending revealed that people are retarded and want to over think shit that is wrapped up with a nice bow and presented as intended. Phone Post 3.0

Well I guess it comes from ambiguous endings like the Sopranos or stuff like that.

clattymine - 

This.

The ending revealed that people are retarded and want to over think shit that is wrapped up with a nice bow and presented as intended. Phone Post 3.0

/thread

Exactly. How did this need clearing up? Phone Post 3.0

if it was a dream why would Alfred see miss Kyle ?

Some people just like to look too far into shit Phone Post 3.0

Whambo - The curious thing I find is why couldn't Bruce Wayne find someone hotter than Anne Hathaway to settle down with?

YOU CRAZY!!!!!! ALL NIGHT!

Imagine Steve Jobs was really alive and casually eating meals in public at Parisian bistros and for some reason no one noticed but his old butler.

clattymine - 

This.

I believe because a shit load of nerds complained like pussies how it was impossible for Batman to have flown the bomb away from the City AND escape safely....autopilot be damned.

I guess they thought the movie should have shown the Batcopter (??) flying for the needed 6 minutes to get to safe detonation distance or some shit. Ya know, because they are nerds.

Thread derail at 1....2.......3......

And what the hell was up with the fact that the Cops that were trapped down below had like no beards??!?!?! MIND BLOWN!!!

I' d have dreamed about Haley Atwell nude instead of Selena.

Al Cappucino - 
clattymine - 

This.

I believe because a shit load of nerds complained like pussies how it was impossible for Batman to have flown the bomb away from the City AND escape safely....autopilot be damned.

I guess they thought the movie should have shown the Batcopter (??) flying for the needed 6 minutes to get to safe detonation distance or some shit. Ya know, because they are nerds.

Thread derail at 1....2.......3......

And what the hell was up with the fact that the Cops that were trapped down below had like no beards??!?!?! MIND BLOWN!!!

Let's stay focused on the point of this thread, this thing will sprial out of control if we start talking about how retarded the movie was from top to bottom.

Angle 5 - Didn't Batman have at least 2 weeks of prep time to figure out what to do with the bomb?

He even had more than two weeks to figure out how to fix the broken autopilot of the Batwing. That guy's always prepared so it's safe to assume that he fixed that in anticipation of future problems.

Batman even planned out for Robin to have access to the Wayne Manor after he left. Batman had his shit together. I don't know why that isn't obvious to all movie watchers.

Batman always wins.

Had a woman at work tell me that the ending implied they were making a fourth movie with Bale and that Batman wasn't retired. Robin was going to literally be Robin in the next movie, not Batman. I felt like she couldn't have possibly been watching the movie, maybe she was texting the whole time.

And that was my biggest problem with this film...Batman doesn't retire.

So antithetical to the character. Phone Post 3.0

But who cleaned all those police uniforms? Phone Post 3.0