Ballsy move by a West Point cadet

https://youtu.be/fhkML7IyjPo

3 Likes

wonder what that cadet is doing now. that might have been very good for his career

Fan of Fanboys - wonder what that cadet is doing now. that might have been very good for his career

or very bad.

To this day, there is still a signed photo of him on the wall in my dad's house. Always admired the guy.

When I was in law school, I went to a lecture by the Chief Justice of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal, and afterward asked him if he wanted to have a drink with a few students. He accepted, and we had a blast. He stayed out a few hours with us.

Lol! That's awesome!

Not as cool as this but when I was in training down in Buffalo I managed to snag some SS, FBI, CIA "Big shots" to come to a bar for drinks afterwards.  I was in my early 20's so it was a big deal to sit and chat with those guys over some beers.  Super nice guys.

Sometimes you would be surprised who might say yes to those type of offers.

1 Like

I was at an Academic Conference several years ago. I was only 2 or 3 years out of my PhD, and really working hard to make my bones in my field of study. In my field, there is a very elite “Old Guard” and they all keep their circle very tight. I had been trying for some time to get any of them to engage in research with me. None of them ever emailed me back. Anyway, at the Cobference, I was in the hotel Lobby and saw one of the “Old Guard” guys. He was not only widely respected in the field but also has a fair amount of mainstream notoriety because of his books and such. He was standing by himself. I went to the Hotel Bar and purchased 2 beers. I walked over to him, handed him one and said “These conferences are boring. Let’s get hammered”. He took the beer, looked at me for a few seconds, then slammed the beer. He looked around and said “Let’s go”. We drank all night. We ended up splitting a bar tab of over $500. After that night of drinking, every one of his fellow “Old Guard” people responded to my emails and my research opportunities went through the roof. In addition, the fact that I had conducted research with those more well known people really elevated my status in that group and I was soon accepted into their global consortium. Being in that group means I’m among the top 150-200 researchers in that area globally, and now people seek me out to participate in research and stuff with them. That beer changed my career trajectory and my opportunities outside the traditional University setting. Best $9 I spent... it was a wildly overpriced domestic beer....

8 Likes
GuttyProfessor -

I was at an Academic Conference several years ago. I was only 2 or 3 years out of my PhD, and really working hard to make my bones in my field of study. In my field, there is a very elite “Old Guard” and they all keep their circle very tight. I had been trying for some time to get any of them to engage in research with me. None of them ever emailed me back. Anyway, at the Cobference, I was in the hotel Lobby and saw one of the “Old Guard” guys. He was not only widely respected in the field but also has a fair amount of mainstream notoriety because of his books and such. He was standing by himself. I went to the Hotel Bar and purchased 2 beers. I walked over to him, handed him one and said “These conferences are boring. Let’s get hammered”. He took the beer, looked at me for a few seconds, then slammed the beer. He looked around and said “Let’s go”. We drank all night. We ended up splitting a bar tab of over $500. After that night of drinking, every one of his fellow “Old Guard” people responded to my emails and my research opportunities went through the roof. In addition, the fact that I had conducted research with those more well known people really elevated my status in that group and I was soon accepted into their global consortium. Being in that group means I’m among the top 150-200 researchers in that area globally, and now people seek me out to participate in research and stuff with them. That beer changed my career trajectory and my opportunities outside the traditional University setting. Best $9 I spent... it was a wildly overpriced domestic beer....

What field of study are you in?  If that's too personal, don't worry.  Just curious.

GuttyProfessor -

$250,i think. 

Still worth it.

Good story. In the end, we are all just dudes who want to hang out.

nek -
GuttyProfessor -

What field of study are you in?  If that's too personal, don't worry.  Just curious.

His sn says it- hes a professor of guts

GuttyProfessor -

There's a reason beer is responsible for civilization. Great story bud. 

nek -
GuttyProfessor -

I prefer not to say. These days, cancel culture being what it is, you never know who you will upset down the road and how deep they will dig to try and harm you irreparably. I’d just as soon not share info if that’s OK.

GuttyProfessor -
nek -
GuttyProfessor -

I prefer not to say. These days, cancel culture being what it is, you never know who you will upset down the road and how deep they will dig to try and harm you irreparably. I’d just as soon not share info if that’s OK.

We all know you're a professor of gender theory!!!

:)

Altofsky -
GuttyProfessor -
nek -
GuttyProfessor -

We all know you're a professor of gender theory!!!

:)

He guts the cock and balls. 

Yeah. You got me, Altofsky.... You got me....

GuttyProfessor -

Right on. I love when a good story is shared, and I love it even more when the story is rooted in the simple offering of a beer. Fuck it man, now you've got me in the mood, I'm gonna go grab a beer right now!

Inelegant Discourse -
GuttyProfessor -

$250,i think. 

Still worth it.

Good story. In the end, we are all just dudes who want to hang out.

Nah, He spent $9.00 on a beer for the big shot, then they split the bill. So the rest was for his own consumption. 

Soon after we got back to Germany from Iraq in 2004 I got sent to a retention training course at a resort about 3 hours from our home post. I saw my division commander and some members of his staff in the hotel lobby. They were there for an unrelated conference. I walked up, introduced myself and asked if he wanted a drink. I had a beer and a shot of Jamison with him before it seemed like a great idea to order Jagerbombs. Luckily for me, he too thought they were a good idea. 

TLDR: A drunk Buck Sergeant got boozed up with the 1st Infantry Division commander.