Barao "more than ready" for Cruz

Big win against Pickett this weekend, finishing the job in emphatic fashion, That puts him in a good place where he's highly regarded and hasn't (yet) been beaten by Cruz, unlike many of the other top contenders.

Barao reckons he is ready for the shot now, should he get it?

If you give him Benavidez/Jorgensen etc. and he loses, then you've got rematches that people don't really care for and not the same hype. Although it can easily be argued that he needs another top 5 win to get the shot.

Source:

www.yourmma.tv/fighters/interview-details.asp/id/191/ufc-138-renan-barao-more-than-ready-for-cruz.htm

His performance was awesome! Nova Uniao is producing monster lightweights and below.

He should fight another contender though but I would have 0 complaints if he got the title shot. His record speaks for itself.

Mix6APlix - 
deepu - His performance was awesome! Nova Uniao is producing monster lightweights and below.

He should fight another contender though but I would have 0 complaints if he got the title shot. His record speaks for itself.

This.

He needs one more big win, I expect to see him fight MM, Benavidez or Jorgensen next. A win over any of them gets him a shot after Bowles/Faber winner.

thing is all three lost to Cruz so having a new fresh young contender fight any of them and lose then you just killed off Barao and JB, MM and SJ arent getting a title shot anytime soon.

Jorgensen would probably be the fight for him.

JB should get a big fight though, JB/MM next or do they save that for Flyweight?

he's fighting jorgenson or benavidez next at likely UFC 142.

Let him get a bigger win than Pickett - I think he could handle himself in a title shot right now, but nobody knows who he is. It's not like the last UFC was a major event.

Not his fault though, Zuffa drops the ball hard on making the contenders appear worthy at BW/FW. The UFC needs to start promoting these smaller guys more aggressively, otherwise it's going to be Cruz/Aldo vs somebody no casual fan has even begun to have heard of over and over again and no stars are going to get made.

MMALOGIC -  he's fighting jorgenson or benavidez next at likely UFC 142.

For real? Where did you hear that from? It makes sense for SJ or JB, JB is the bigger fight imo but its risky.

But yeah JB vs Barao on 142 would be great, GSP/Diaz, Condit/Kos, Pettis/Lauzon and Barao vs JB or Jorgensen on the main card is a great looking card.

Maybe they add Nelson/Kongo HW fight and thats not a bad main card.

Couldnt believe it when he met Pickett bang in the middle of the cage. I think he has the speed to match Cruz, he might very well be the answer to his style

Chris27 - He needs one more big win, I expect to see him fight MM, Benavidez or Jorgensen next. A win over any of them gets him a shot after Bowles/Faber winner.

thing is all three lost to Cruz so having a new fresh young contender fight any of them and lose then you just killed off Barao and JB, MM and SJ arent getting a title shot anytime soon.

Exactly. He should get another win, but there's the potential banana skin.

Stylistically, I think Torres is the fight but in terms of contention it has to be JB.