Barboza focusing on bjj for Etim, eyeing 145lb div

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Barboza-Sharpening-Ground-Game-for-Etim-Mulling-Move-to-145-37451

While the 25-year-old phenom is only a BJJ blue belt, Barboza has an ace up his gi sleeve: the Nova Friburgo native is currently polishing his ground game with jiu-jitsu legend Pablo Popovitch and recent world champions Raphael Chaves and Marcus “Bochecha” Almeida.

“I want to take the pace from those guys and train BJJ even more,” he explained. “I’m not going to do anything new, because I’m not really worried about what my opponent is going to do. I’ll work as I always do, just with more attention to his guillotines and arm attacks on the ground.”

Should he nab a fourth straight UFC win, Barboza will become a true lightweight contender. Yet, even with that possibility looming, the young Brazilian sees a weight cut as a distinct possibility in the future.

“I don’t have any trouble making 155 pounds,” he revealed. “I’ve already competed many times at 145 pounds as a muay Thai fighter. I’ve already told my manager, Alex Davis, that I feel great at lightweight, but that a weight drop is a real possibility. 

Barboza vs Aldo

terry is gonna bang barboza out and send him to 145 proper

Wow he would be dangerous at FW, he is dangerous at LW.

Barboza/Etim is a great fight, I think Barboza takes it standing and Etim could take it if it hits the ground, he has good subs.

Barboza I think is gonna run into problems with the top wrestlers in the div, at FW you have less big time wrestlers so he could actually move to the top of the FW div faster imo.

^agreed

Edson is an extremely talented individual. He has made leaps and bounds since he went to the Armory. With Joe Mullings physical preop work ( On the par with any of the big name trainers) and Guedes, Rafis bj coaching and frequent training at Pablos, he is developing even as I write. Will the d1 wrestlers pose a challenge? Yes, they will, they are a challenge to any fighter, but they better be on the top of their game, cause if they cant put Edson down, will be light after lights out!

I like edson but I'm not seeing what all the hype is about yet. Phone Post

I hope Terry etim beats him he could
Put him self in the mix for the title with a win over edson !!

Liverpools Terry etim !! Phone Post

Didn't Bas Rutten say in an interview that he thinks Barboza should go up? I find that pretty interesting.

Chris27 - Wow he would be dangerous at FW, he is dangerous at LW.

Barboza/Etim is a great fight, I think Barboza takes it standing and Etim could take it if it hits the ground, he has good subs.

Barboza I think is gonna run into problems with the top wrestlers in the div, at FW you have less big time wrestlers so he could actually move to the top of the FW div faster imo.

Good call player... Huge fan of both and I'm sure it'll be a fuckin cracker!! Phone Post

Edson is a threat to any 155er. He is still young and developing. No rush. Sure, can Edson make 145, no problem. He continues to grow into his frame and there is always the trade off with a fighter in regards to fight weight, speed, strength, endurance and suddeness.

Etim is a great fight for both of them. Etims skills on his feet should not be underestimated just as Edson skills on the ground should not be underestimated.

Going to be a fantastic fight.