Bars lose big money on UFC

I'm a bit suprised at the $400 fee. I thought it would be a bit more.

I'm no bar owner, but the places around here that show the fights are typically very crowded. Looks to me like money making nights, but no way for me to know for sure.

BW3 was the only place in the city that showed the fights.

Plus the Teriaki wings are pretty good.

sports bar nearby charges $10 cover... that or a minimum order of $10 seems like a good idea

I don't know if you've heard it or not but bars make profits on drinks.

yeah, $10 is a bit much but I'll pay it. I've heard of other places charing $10 at the door and giving you a voucher for use on food and drinks. That's reasonable IMO

"I don't know if you've heard it or not but bars make profits on drinks"

Yeah, but the bar I was at didn't make enough profits from drinks to cover the $400 charge for the event.

"Yeah, but the bar I was at didn't make enough profits from drinks to cover the $400 charge for the event."

They got people in. There are residual benefits for lots of happy people who identify fun with that particular bar.

Check the profits over the next month or two, and see if there's a steady increase. Don't only think short term.

i spent 60 dollars last night, i think any place losing money is probably a shitty place that shouldnt order it anyways

"I don't know where you guys live, but I'd never pay that to be surrounded by a bunch of popped collar douchebags and wannabee toughguys puffing cigarettes and drinking vodka and Red Bulls and hearing Nickelback blaring in the background."

I don't know where you live, but smoking in bars is outlawed in California, and the only audio playing from the speakers during the event are from the TV.

Well that's why you should charge a cover. 20 Bucks a head with a free drink and appetizer.

Well, heres one for you guys.... the bars in my area CAN NOT charge a cover for things like payperview .... some stupid ass law. IF some local cop or fed gets a hair in his ass and finds out yur charging a cover for something like that, they can shut you down supposedly.

So they have to rely on thier profits only to pay for the show... and i have heard of numbers as high as $1000 for some brs to show it in this area...

"I'm a bit suprised at the $400 fee. I thought it would be a bit more."

I agree. I think a crowded place like a Hooters would easily make up that money on fight night.

However, I've heard they are charged as much as $3000 to show the event. I could see them coming out in the red with that price.

Maybe it's $400 per screen.

I sat at the bar in a BW3 last night and they were serving a tonof drinks.  The waitresses were almost running to keep up.  I think they made a fortune off the fights.

Why would it cost $400 to order a $40 PPV??

This thread is BULLSHIT.

idiot

"Why would it cost $400 to order a $40 PPV??
This thread is BULLSHIT"

Because it's a commercial establishment. It's $40 for home use, but for a public place, the price is much higher. Don't make a jackass out of yourself just because you are ignorant, even if it's just the internet.

pwned

"People who sit in a bar/restaurant take up space, stay for a long time, and don't typically spend a lot of money. "

Yes, I can see how you're an expert on this topic...unfortunately for you there are more bars in this world than the three you seem to have experience with.

"Yeah, but the bar I was at didn't make enough profits from drinks to cover the $400 charge for the event."

Then they need to advertise better. The bars around here get packed to the rafters for a UFC. I know because the line to the bathroom was about 50 deep. I think they make good money, and if they don't I'd suspect management is inept.

I agree Cryptic. I wish I would have asked the manager last night about how she advertised the event.

She made it sound like they didn't want to order the event, but corporate forced her to. She probobly had pre-convieved notions about the night and figured she'd just get by.

But from the sounds on this thread, it seems like a little planning, advertising and marketing would have made the bar make money.

The place was pretty packed though, and it cleared out after the main event fight.