Bas' idea to end PEDs

To take away 100% of a purse for a failed test. I think this might actually work. Obviously the testing would have to be way more stringent, but the risk over reward factor would change dramatically Phone Post 3.0

hard to argue with that...

UFC won't care. They still get to put on shows with fighters failing tests that they're already aware of. 

And drop out of the rankings. The fighter could return but start at the bottom.

lose purse and 1 year ban.

they'd have to rewrite all their contracts.

whoever balks, is guilty.

MMALatest -

hard to argue with that...

UFC won't care. They still get to put on shows with fighters failing tests that they're already aware of. 

And keep more money.

Shit, I bet they love this idea. Phone Post 3.0

That wouldn't stop it.  They would just negotiate for more money to account for the risk of losing the full purse.  Each time a fighter like Silva could get away with it is a few more million in their pockets.

That plus:
• 2 yr ban
• Fighter pays for their tests for the next three fights.

Still wanna risk cheating? Didn't think so. Phone Post 3.0

Longer duration like in track

rouseymole - they'd have to rewrite all their contracts.

whoever balks, is guilty.

would lose a lot of top guys to bellator if this happens. nobody on peds would resign with new contracts

With Reebok deal this could work.

In a world with sponsors?

Nope.

You'd have incentive to win so your sponsors pay more and in many cases guys earned more from sponsors than actual UFC pay.

With Reebok killing sponsor money, this would work.

But they won't ever do it because UFC doesn't want guys having incentive to fight elsewhere. Phone Post 3.0

liver shots for one year

whats a fighter with no purse?

http://jerseygirlsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/No-Purse.jpg

TSMontana -
Easters - To take away 100% of a purse for a failed test. I think this might actually work. Obviously the testing would have to be way more stringent, but the risk over reward factor would change dramatically Phone Post 3.0

I'd say 80%, just so the trainers and people who helped the fighter get ready don't get screwed.
Agreed Phone Post 3.0

I like it Phone Post 3.0

there is no secret formula to stopping PEDs, no secret punishment that is the key. 

They could stop PED use literally overnight if they wanted to with any number of the punisments mentioned on this thread already and to come

I think they should be legal, but if they're going to be illegal, it should simply be a lifetime ban for one infraction.