Bas Rutten's MMA Mount Rushmore

Tear it down! Built on Helio Gracie native land.

Any Mount Rushmore that doesn't have Jones isn't comical. And pleasendont give me steroids when you all have Pride fighters on that list.

kyleburkle -

Tito ortiz has to be on there

His head is the right size

I just don’t get the Chuck thing. Putting him above Shogun is frankly a joke and I loved Chuck as a fighter, he was part of that era, that group, Hughes, Gomi, A Silva Penn, Couture, Wand, the Nogs a few more That will always be my favourite era. Mount Rushmore though, no way. 

it’s got to be Royce and Saku, then probably one from Pride one from UFC so I guess Fedor and GSP 

Hughes belongs there.  Greatest champion UFC ever had.  I may be off by 1, but I think it was 9 title defenses with 8 finishes.  Fought the best competition at the time.

Saku.  I didn't appreciate him enough at the time.  So skilled and conducted himself with >

Fedor was unreal to watch during his prime.  Watching his later years has caused people to forget his dominance.

Anderson Silva.  11 title defenses with only 2 decisions.  3 fights at 205 during that time as well.

His treatment of Maia and Leites are the only things that somewhat tarnished this.

Bas…

I am disappoint

Royce

Fedor

Anderson

Saku

Fedor

GSP

I’d pick the Gracie family behind UFC 1 before Royce but that’s just me, and of course it’d be Royce representing them as he’s the one who faced the fire.

The #4 varies.

Royce

Ken

Sak

Fedor

GSP

Royce

Fedor

Jon Jones/Cejudo takes it if he keeps winning

bungee up -
MasterofMartialArts -

I don’t disagree with him at all, in terms of what Mount Rushmore is supposed to represent. He chose people who each took the sport to the next level. 

I've carefully considered you're point (seriously) and no. just no.

Nunes should not be on the list ( for dana )

I could go on and on as to why but im not going to. Fuck that.

As far as bas's picks.  Intresting take having dana on it but fuck that as well. I could go on and on about why for different reasons. 

Each to their own though.  It's just a opinion. 

Cant go to far wrong with mandibal claws pics.

What's up with allan Belcher  lol

I don’t care for Dana’s picks and was more paying attention to what Bas was saying. I prefer to have all fighters there but I’m open to the conversation of BLAF being there as well. If not for him and the Fertittas, who knows where the sport would be. 

I posted late right before bed so didn’t really give my own picks much thought, but was just saying I’m okay with who he picked and his reasoning behind it. 

At first thought, my picks would likely be: 

Royce 

Chuck 

Fedor 

GSP

bungee up -
MasterofMartialArts -

I don’t disagree with him at all, in terms of what Mount Rushmore is supposed to represent. He chose people who each took the sport to the next level. 

I've carefully considered you're point (seriously) and no. just no.

Nunes should not be on the list ( for dana )

I could go on and on as to why but im not going to. Fuck that.

As far as bas's picks.  Intresting take having dana on it but fuck that as well. I could go on and on about why for different reasons. 

Each to their own though.  It's just a opinion. 

Cant go to far wrong with mandibal claws pics.

What's up with allan Belcher  lol

Also the Alan Belcher pic is one that has been circulating the internet for maybe 9-10 years, I don’t remember if it originated here or Sherdog. But I love the Johnny Cash tattoo lol. 

DiscipleDojo - 

If you include Dana, you'd have to include Rorion, Bob, or the X-Arm dude for coming up with it, IMO. 

That's a great point. The probem there is the numbers - Mount Rushmore is four, and five guys started the UFC.

In the beginning, Rorion Gracie had a day at his Torrance, Calif. academy, where anyone game enough could test their skills by fighting Jiu-Jitsu exponents until someone quit. Using techniques refined by Rorion's father Helio, representatives of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu never lost.

A student at the academy, Art Davie, was convinced that the challenge fights could be turned into a Pay Per View event. Davie and Gracie approached HBO, Showtime, and others, with no luck; then they presented to Semaphore Entertainment Group, who got it.

SEG, founded by Bob Meyrowitz, was the pay-per-view television arm of the massive international media company BMG. The head of programming at SEG was Campbell McLaren. Chief Operating Officer of the new UFC was David Isaacs, who had graduated from Harvard Law School two years before; Isaacs ran the company for the next half decade.

Thus it was that Art Davie, Rorion Gracie, David Isaacs, Campbell McLaren, and Bob Meyrowitz founded the UFC. Gracie's vision was to test of martial arts, establishing that Jiu-Jitsu was the best approach for one on one combat. The rest of the team wanted to create an extreme combat sports spectacle that would sell on PPV television, so in 1995 Gracie departed.

If I had to choose a single figure from the founding five, the guy with the vision of what the UFC is today, it would be Art Davie.

So maybe my Mount Rushmore is:

Art Davie

Dana White

Royce Gracie

Fedor or Anderson Silva

Ronda did more for the ufc than chuck liddlle, no?

kyleburkle -

Tito ortiz has to be on there

His big ol rock head would make everyone else's look small. I can see it now....

Fighters only IMO.

Hard to include Dana and not the Fertitas

Royce

Anderson

GSP

Conor 

It makes no sense at all to have Nunes on the list but not Ronda. Unless you are going for the “greatest.” But, in that case, you can’t have Royce and Chuck on the list.

My Mount Rushmore:

-Royce

-Fedor

-GSP

-Silva

All due hespect to Chuck…

I can’t see putting him up there.

He wasn’t even the best LHW of his era.

Maybe if it was UFC only… but not MMA as a whole.