Bas still think jab is useless?

haven't really seen inside MMA in awhile but has he mentioned if he changed his mind about the jab being a useless technique for MMA? Just saw Okami use it in devastating fashion on the undercard of the Florian fight, who also used it well. Of course BJ has used it a lot along with countless others. I can't believe as actually said that. Think he might be a little out of touch with MMA today, it's evolved so much since he was competing and training regularly.

he hasn't mentioned it in ages and he's got a ton of respect for bj's boxing so hopefully he's softened his position a bit. i'm a huge, huge bas fan, but i think he's sometimes guilty of that high level fighter's mentality which says "what's best for me is best for everyone". he was brilliant in his striking (particularly for the time) but i might be a bigger fan of a good jab.

i love bas but he had a bunch of crappy theories

If you've watched any of his instructionals, it's about his stance. He considers punches where fighters stand sideways and flick out their lead hand to be jabs. He says to have your shoulders square, and then use your hips to turn more, turning your "jab" into a "left straight." I spar with my shoulders square, but still consider my left punch a jab. So it might all be about terminology. But who knows, I may be wrong.

geez, some of you pretend like you knew how the sport was going to evolve the day after you saw Royce win the first UFC.

..."he hasn't mentioned it in ages and he's got a ton of respect for bj's boxing so hopefully he's softened his position a bit"

Dude, he said it on InsideMMA about 3 weeks ago.

It is a semantic issue. Bas says you should not flick light shots with your lead hand to feel the other guy out, the way you often can in boxing. He was and is. You don't get a ton of opportunities to hit a guy in MMA, so they have to count. Bas didn't advocate never hitting with your lead hand (the definition of 'jab' for many) he just said to do it hard.

LOL dude Bas has great power but anyone who has ever seen him on the pads will tell you the guy is not the most technical fighter out there

GaGas Soldier - i love bas but he had a bunch of crappy theories

I recall a long time ago an artical from Brian Johnson in Grappling Mag that basically stated the same . The jab was useless, if not dangerous to use in MMA.

I think the original consensus was that if you open up with a strike against a good grappler it better KO him or you will be on your back.

I have felt that I good punch to the face
or piledriver to the face

would force said grappler to take a shot from farther away or blindly(fist tapping constantly)

did you bother to read past that

you stop at the period "."