Basic 8- Hip-Spin

Sorry this has taken so long, but here's a little more...

So far, we've covered a knee dip, hip-heist, cut-back, knee-slide, and stand-up.

this leaves us with a hip-spin, sit-out, and penetration step (double). The penetration step is beat to death by wrestlers world-wide so I won't cover this one. that leaves us with sit-out and hip-spin.

I'll cover the hip spin in this post and i'll only go over the sit-out series if you guys would like to see it...

Hip spin.

This is my version of the switch, but it varies from the switch quite a bit.

Assume that the opponent started on your left side in ref's position. Start with a modified hip-heist. Place your inside hand away from opponent's grip (same as the start for a switch). now lift your outside knee and step through with your inside leg to a hip-heist position (the only reason that this is modified is because you moved your inside hand prior to hip-heisting). you are now in the hip-heist and have turned 90 degrees. now, your right leg will move under your body to return from the hip heist. you should turn another 90 degrees from the direction you were originally facing (180 degrees total).

that's the basic drill and you will start doing it very slowly. as you get more familiar with the movement, you will launch into it and the entire technique will be one fluid explosion. as your body is turning back belly down, you will drive your elbow down on his arm that is wrapped around your waist. this will often flatten the opponent out and you can spin behind for the reversal. other times, he will abandon the situation (if he's smart) and you will get the escape.

keep in mind that if he catches your inside arm before you can clear it, you can still turn belly down, cut back and come out the back (be sure to gain wrist control of the arm that's on your waist).

the reason i do this instead of the switch is because my body moves further away from the opponent AND i am not reaching back for the leg (remember the easy counter to the switch of vee-ing your arm and stepping over).

make note of the fact that you have a great deal of power when you are coming down with your elbow. I actually broke the arm of an opponent with this, so be nice to your training partners.

please tell me if this description doesn't make any sense and I'll try to clarify.

no shame

I've usually been able to either hit it right off the bat, OR head out the back door if he catches my arm. This and the tripod, knee-slide, stand-up combo were my favorite escapes.

no shame

Cool no shame! That's a classic example of a good scrambling escape. Definitely a great skill to learn!

My two cents: I've seen this work quite well in a scramble situation. However, this is tough to hit right off the whistle in a wrestling match. Your best bet is to use it as the "plan-B" after an initial escape attempt, at least in my experience.

Have you found that to be the case, no shame?

Ah, I think I know why it hasn't often worked for me right off the whistle - I'm slow. he he

Great thread. This is what the forum needs more of, less threads about superheroes and crap like that and more actual techniques. Noshame is the man.

Thanks buddie, i appreciate it. actually, chip and mike have done a great deal of technical posts as well. we actually have a helluva archive built up here (thanks to chip for keeping track of it).

no shame